ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marianne Faithfull press conference Return to archive
12th March 2008 10:04 AM
FotiniD Yesterday I had the great honor to attend Marianne Faithfull's press conference here in Athens... The promoter did not pick me to ask any questions (sigh) but I enjoyed the PR nevertheless - Marianne's so kind and so exciting to listen to, the way she deals with herself, her "mythical" image and all that.

So here it is for those of you who might be interested. She speaks a little about her new record coming out in September, her acting career, her gigs and of course the Rolling Stones.

Would you like to tell us a few words about your new record?

Yeah. We're just finishing it now. It's called Easy Come Easy Go. It's my first studio record, really serious studio record, with Hal Wilner, after Strange Weather, and that was 10 years ago. So it's quite an event and it's turned out I think really, really well. It's nothing like Strange Weather but it's not my songs. It's other people's songs. There's some jazz, blues, some modern songs, folk songs, very very eclectic.

It's coming out in September.

Can you tell us a few words about what we are gonna see on Thursday from you?

On Thursday it's kind of funny for me, it's true, because I'm not promoting anything, I'm just doing this tour called Songs of Innocense and Experience. It's a wide range of songs, from all different parts of my life and I've pushed in some real rareties that I never sing. For instance I'm singing the song I did on Rock 'n' Roll Circus, Something Better. And there are other rareties, so I hope the audience will enjoy it as much as I do. I really like the band, I think it's a very nice arrangement and I love being... I don't mind when i'm promoting a record obviously, I know my job, but it is fun to be able to do what I like and I think the audience doesn't mind that.

Of course I will do some old favorites, don't worry!

In your last show, you played Don't Forget Me.

I'm still playing it.

Did you connect it with your recent illness?

No. Why would I do that? I mean I know the lyrics, it's just a great song. There's no special thing about that.

Everybody thinks all my songs are autobiographical - if that's what people wanna think I can't stop them. But my songs are not really autobiographical. But what can I do? People will do what they like.

How about mixing movies with music?

Well, it's tricky.
To mix acting in the cinema and what I call my real job, which is muysic, is complicated, because of schedule. That's the thing. But I love acting and I really got my love back of acting when I did Intimacy. And I realized if it's a good script with a good director, and good people in it, I really have a very good time. But of course you know the new record will be coming out, and there'll be a lot of work around that, so I'm not a normal regular actress, I have to do what I can, I can't just go from film to film to film, it's too late for that now. I think if I hadn't been discovered, I would have been an actress and I would have had a different kind of life, but what happened happened and it's ok.

I can't tell you how many films come when I think "oh I could have done that". But I was on tour and until Irina Palm really, people didn't realize that I could really act. I don't know.

If you could meet Irina Palm and the girl on a motorcyle, as real character, which one of the two would you rather hang out with or write a song about?

I'd much rather meet Maggie! I never really.. I think Jack Cardiff is a really good director, but i never really liked Girl on a Motorcycle. I just didn't. I didn't like the whole thing, it put me off acting in film for a long time. I realized I'm not proper film star material, I know that. I haven't got time for one thing and I'm not sure I will have the inclination. It's so celebrity-centered and so, my God they work hard! They really have to go all over the world to promote those films. I mean they get very well paid of course, but I don't know. I'm very proud of my film work that I like. Even La Motocyclete, I'm not ashamed of it, i just never really liked it very much. It's got its good points but to me the only time i really liked it was when i saw it in India in hindu!

A journalist wrote in his book that you danced with Jim Morrison in Paris in his last night...

I never met Jim Morrison! No. It's not true. I've never met him.

I never really thought about it. I never met him, I didn't know him, I think he was attactive, he was interesting, but he never came into my world so I don't really understand why I should be involved in that. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense that of course I didn't meet him. We were from such different cultures, I'm really European, I was really sort of London based, all that was very California... I know he was in Paris but I didn't meet him. I was actually in Paris at the same trime, that's all.

But I didn't know he was there and I certainly didn't know... I didn't know really much about him at all, I found out just like you did.

What is most interesting in your world? Do you want to tell us about your cooperation with Mick Jagger?

I think i've had to talk about this for 46 years. I really admire him, I think he's a great arist, a great guy, I love the Rolling Stones, I'm really fond of them. I'm very fond of Keith and Charlie as well, I wrote a lot about my relationship with Mick in my autobiography, much gentler, I am much gentler, I'm not so angry. I like him and respect him. What more can I say? But you know it's a long, long time ago. I'm not ashamed of my association. I'm glad, I learnt an awful lot from Mick and from Keith and actually from Charlie too, I got very interested in jazz frtom Charlie. But you know we're all working artists and I'm working very had and they're working very hard and I think I probably see Keith the most. Hardly ever see Mick except when I manage to get in a show and the last time was in Australia about five years ago. But it was wonderful. And he was great.

which part of your life is most interesting for you?

For me, now actually. It's quite a very interesting life and apart from not being young, which is great, I kind of miss that. But in many ways this is the most productive creative part of my life. And I've become very good at what I do and I probably shouldn't say that myself, but I have. When I was really young, I don't blame anybody, but I was like a pretty doll. And like a pretty doll I was thrown away. That was very hurtful. So you know if I had to lose my youth and beauty to get here, I think it was kindf of worth it.

I'd rather have my integrity and my artistic strength, my band, the people I work with, my audience, the ability to make a record like Easy Come or Eeasy Go or Before the Poison or Kissin Time or Vagabond Ways or anything. I'm really comitted to my work. I was never happy really as a socialite, a butterfly and you know I would hate... the celebrity culture has got so much worse, thank God I'm not in that position now.

When I told my friends that I'd ask you a couple of questions, some of them expressed a kind of adoration and referered to you as a mythic person.

The mythical being. There is the mythical being. I do a very funny chapter about that in my new book, where I call the mythical being the fabulous beast. And then there's me, you know. They are the same person of course, but in a way the mythical being just exists separately. I don't have to do anything about it, there it is, all the stories and legends and Morrison and this and that the other. What's that got to do with me? My job is to get enough sleep, stay healthy, do my shows, make my records. The mythical beast has nothing to do with that. It just exists in another sphere really. The best thing for me as a human being is really not to think about it. I'm not denying it doens't help, I'm sure it does. Lot of people come to the shows to see the mythical being. I hope they don't get disappointed when they get me!

I think the show is interesting and good and even if people... People used to come just to watch me die on stage! Now they come to see the mythical being. But the show is good enough that they forget that.

After all those years, on stage, studios, gigs, tours, all this stuff in music, what would you advise...

Oh I never give advice! I really don't. Because people will never never take it. You have to find your own way. I can only speak for myself. I think I wasted a lot of time with drugs and stuff like that which was a shame. But I don't judge people, I have great compassion. And I don't give advice, you know.

Not advice about life, about music creations...

Oh I don't know how to explain that. That's something that they have to find out for themselves. That's not my job.

[Edited by FotiniD]
12th March 2008 10:32 AM
moonies sperm Thank you, Fotini!
We are huge fans of Marianne's breasts, and think she is intelligent and talented as well.
12th March 2008 02:33 PM
GotToRollMe Thanks, Fotini, our on-the-spot reporter!
13th March 2008 07:33 AM
Factory Girl Thank you FotiniD!! I'm so glad that you went to MF's Press conf.
13th March 2008 02:46 PM
Sister Morphine Thanks for sharing the experience with us, Fotini!
14th March 2008 04:01 AM
FotiniD Glad you liked it

The gig was yesterday and it was fantastic. I almost started crying when she did "Something Better" and she introduced it by saying she feels it sounds better now than it did in '68, perhaps "because then we were all so fucking stoned!".

She has amazing grace and I do believe she's absolutely underestimated in music.
14th March 2008 10:55 AM
Gazza Thanks for sharing all of that.
14th March 2008 11:01 AM
PartyDoll MEG What a great experience for you, Fotini!

Thanks for sharing
14th March 2008 09:31 PM
Bitch Thanks for the nice report FotiniD!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)