ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most Overrated Band Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th March 2008 12:40 PM
GayB pug has emailed me his top five overrated bands:

5. The Beatles (ugly costumes on pepper)
4. The Animals (one hit wonder)
3. Neil Young (hasn't done a damn thing since "for what it's worth")
2. Bob Dylan (voice sounds like he has a clothespin on his nose!!!)
1. The Kinks (cousin had one of their records and said they suck)
[Edited by GayB]
11th March 2008 12:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels PUG!

More heresy.

11th March 2008 01:44 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

X2. Yeah hair metal sucks, but does anyone with serious musical tastes rate them highly? I'll add all prog rock groups to this list. They all suck, so to call them anything above shite is overrating them.

80's heavy/metal/rock are musics cornerstone! It will be remembered many years from now.
And there is very cool bands from the 80's. Unfortunately most of them dont exist anymore. But that your opinion.
[Edited by Mr Jurkka]
11th March 2008 01:53 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Not sure what bands this guy thanks aren't overrated, but some of these picks prove that some people still sniff glue

* 25. Black Sabbath – I don’t know, their music just sucks.
* 24. Rolling Stones – Great band, but in no way do they deserve to even be considered the best of all time.
* 23. The Sex Pistols – This is one band I’ve never understood. They’re music sucked, they were only around for two years, and their bassist was known as Sid Vicious. This band has no redeeming qualities! NONE!
* 22. Wilco – Jeff Tweedy is in two great side projects: The Minus 5 and Golden Smog, neither of which he has a major role in. That said, Wilco is not that good. Summerteeth had the advantage of coming out in 1999 when all of music was dead. It wasn’t good.
* 21. The White Stripes - If it weren't for the fact that they're the only band to form in the last 7 years of any major significance that has talent, you wouldn't really know of them. They are pretty good, but the fact that there is nobody to compare them against inflates their value.
* 20. Sonic Youth - Experimentation does not immune a band from this category. They're hit or miss, and they miss about half the time.
* 19. Eagles - No band coming off a 12-14 year "vacation" deserves such hoorahs, especially when they had only released 1 1/2 good records previously.
* 18. Beach Boys - They became unpopular with age. They almost never had the material to back them up.
* 17. Counting Crows - They had a hit. They forgot to fizzle out. Now forget about them.
* 16. Neutral Milk Hotel - Lyrically, Jeff Mangum is a genius. Musically, he's not that good and almost every guitar rift is stolen. And considering Aeroplane is considered the ultimate indie album, they must be punished.
* 15. The Strokes - Living proof that the Brits cannot decipher good music from mediocre music regardless of whether it is an American band or a British band.
* 14. Guns N' Roses - Axl Rose is an anagram for Oral Sex. Guns N' Roses is a synonym for garbage.
* 13. Billy Joel - Piano Man and Scenes From an Italian Restaurant are good songs, but that's about it. Piano rock was never cool in my book.
* 12. Bruce Springsteen - Call me crazy, but why do people like him? What has he ever done? Well, other than writing "Because the Night" which Patti Smith morphed into one of the 20 best songs of the decade.
* 11. Bob Dylan - He's had some good songs, but come on. He's had only 2 good albums in the last 30-someodd years and he's still idolized by god knows how many people.
* 10. Any Britpop Band - Coldplay, Oasis, The Verve, etc.. These bands aren't that good, were never that good, and will never be that good.
* 9. Yo La Tengo - The ultimate critics band my ass. They're good, but in no way do they deserve half the hype they receive. So many indie people call them the best band ever. Yeah right.
* 8. Green Day - They were never good, releasing one album that was alright (Dookie) before reaching the point that they decided "Let's further destroy music and call it American Idiot at the same time!"
* 7. Led Zeppelin - They had some good songs, but Zep II and IV were horrible. "Stairway to Heaven" is mediocre at best.
* 6. Radiohead – The Bends was amazing. Then they tried to not make sense and became another over-sensationalized indie fucktard must-have. Plus, they stole their title from the Talking Heads. You better be good if you do that.
* 5. U2 - Let me first state that Joshua Tree is one of the worst albums of all time. Secondly, Achtung Baby is worse.
* 4. The Beatles - Oh come on, they really weren't that good.
* 3. Pink Floyd - Take away Syd Barrett and the "Wish You Were Here" album and you've got the #1 most overrated band of all time. Add those in and you drop to #3.
* 2. Pearl Jam - Don't make me defend this. I just really find Eddie Vedder annoying.
* 1. Nirvana - Yes, they were good, but Jesus would have forgotten them after In Utero had Cobain not committed suicide. They weren't that good.

Which bands are NOT overrated? These excuses are ridiculous "They weren't that good", "I dont know, their music just sucks", "Oh come on, they really weren't that good"

11th March 2008 05:46 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I wish you would get rid of that stupid signture picture of the black lady playing the piano, that's so stupid.

i always thought that person playing the piano was a dude...maybe i need glasses.

i think steel driving hammers 'man clapping' is far more annoying.
11th March 2008 05:49 PM
Joey
What ?!

No WHO ?!

J to the O to the E to the Y !!!!!!
11th March 2008 05:49 PM
steel driving hammer Bonjovi, bealtes and eagles.
11th March 2008 05:55 PM
72Tele HENDRIX
11th March 2008 06:54 PM
Starbuck
quote:
HENDRIX

?!?!?!?!!!!

11th March 2008 08:01 PM
midnightrambler69 Led Zeppelin, anyone?
11th March 2008 10:32 PM
Zack Radiohead. Way overrated.
12th March 2008 07:58 AM
egon
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Well, egon..if anyone around here was awake..that would be a real shit "distuber"

As well as your photo, which could also be accused of depicting one of the Pope's "new deadly sins"

yeah i had 2 whole pages ready for my defence :-)

that's my uncle and me. he was always very kind to me.
but one day he was just gone. My parents said he moved far away and i couldn't visit no more..
12th March 2008 08:00 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
egon wrote:

yeah i had 2 whole pages ready for my defence :-)

that's my uncle and me. he was always very kind to me.
but one day he was just gone. My parents said he moved far away and i couldn't visit no more..

Oh my handsome friend...

you are full of shit!!!
12th March 2008 08:06 AM
egon seriously, i worry about that kid.
look at him, with his "thumbs up" & his fake smile.
where are his parents?
and who's taking the picture?
12th March 2008 09:12 AM
andrews27 With all due respect - Bullshit on that Neil Young slander.
12th March 2008 09:18 AM
z Led Zeppelin
12th March 2008 09:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels ZZ TOP - "one hit wonders"...

They only play one song fer crissakes....but it is a helluva good song, I will admit.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th March 2008 10:43 AM
Lethargy The only one Fiji missed is...

REM

They suck so bad it hurts to even think about them and type this.
12th March 2008 11:56 AM
pdog where are these ratings coming from?
12th March 2008 07:18 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

* 2. Pearl Jam - Don't make me defend this. I just really find Eddie Vedder annoying.

should be #1 instead
12th March 2008 07:27 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
where are these ratings coming from?

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.25925/Music
12th March 2008 08:49 PM
sammy davis jr. The Strokes....although everyone seems to be noticing now.
12th March 2008 09:16 PM
Glimmer Twin Led Zep

Bruce Sprinstein & the E Street Band
12th March 2008 10:39 PM
pdog Celine Dion Thread!
13th March 2008 12:21 AM
TampabayStone Queen. I get it, but common. Lots of good stuff and lots and lots of crap. The band, to me is pure shit distubers.
13th March 2008 12:27 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
ZZ TOP - "one hit wonders"...

They only play one song fer crissakes....but it is a helluva good song, I will admit.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Photobucket
14th March 2008 03:33 PM
kovach Oasis and Coldplay.
14th March 2008 05:19 PM
polytoxic The Grateful Dead, perhaps?

Like that old joke:

Q: What did the Deadhead say when he came down off of acid?
A: Geez, this band sucks.

[Edited by polytoxic]
14th March 2008 05:46 PM
Zack
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
The Grateful Dead, perhaps?

Like that old joke:

[Edited by polytoxic]

No way.
14th March 2008 06:24 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
The Grateful Dead, perhaps?

Like that old joke:

After Jimmy Buffett dies and enters the Pearly Gates, God takes him on a tour. He stops and shows Buffett a bungalow with a faded parrot banner hanging from the front porch.

"This is your eternal resting place, Jimmy. Most people don't get their own house up here."

Buffett looks at the place, then turns and sees another sitting alone atop a mountain. It's a palatial estate with tie-dyed drapes in every window and a huge Steal Your Face flying from the flagpole.

"Thanks for the house, God. But let me ask you a question. I get this little house and Jerry Garcia gets a mansion. Why is that?"

God looks at him for a moment, then says with a big smile, "That's not Jerry's house, it's mine!"
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)