ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
Đ Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bridges To Babylon appreciate thread! Return to archive Page: 1 2
6th March 2008 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
TomL wrote:
The bridge was the greatest thing ever.

as a stage concept, yes - however it was five minutes or more of a show wasted, standing around scratching your arse waiting for the damn thing to dock, with no music to listen to or watch.
6th March 2008 07:54 PM
GotToRollMe I dug the hell out of that bridge - the headlights and that hydraulic hum...and that great little pre-b-stage. God, I loved those shows.
6th March 2008 07:59 PM
TomL Yea Gazza, but you got to watch Charlie stroll.
6th March 2008 08:30 PM
glencar Are they too old to stroll now?
6th March 2008 08:32 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
OOC was the highlight of pretty much any show I saw on that tour. It was refreshing to see fans 'wowed' so much by a new song.

Pity they gave up trying to do that on subsequent tours.

I remember the fans were wowed by Rain Fall Down at the 1st show I saw it at & Mick seemed surprised by the reception. The Live CD after Steel Wheels even contains a snippet of him saying "we have to play the new stuff now" as if they weren't quite a nostalgia act even then.
6th March 2008 08:40 PM
Soldatti I like the tour more than the album, their best post '89 IMO. St. Louis' must be their best show ever since 1981.
6th March 2008 11:10 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I like the tour more than the album, their best post '89 IMO. St. Louis' must be their best show ever since 1981.

MSG 2003 HBO
6th March 2008 11:38 PM
CrissCrossMind it don't matter ... as long as they got dat Swing ... CCM
7th March 2008 05:29 AM
Poplar
quote:
egon wrote:

You been smokin' the crackpipe?!

seriously! the most tacky album packaging they've put out. ick.

i'll give B2B a few things: it has a fresh sound and some of the songs pretty much work. if ya skip past a fe tracks, it's not a bad 35 minutes of stones.

i've been listening to some Voodoo outtakes recently. THAT was the great post Tattoo You album that almost was.

as for tours. B2B was an improvement. No Secrurity was a little better. Some of the Bang shows (despite what people say) were kick ass too.

7th March 2008 07:03 AM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Gazza wrote:

54 year olds dont tend to have hit singles.

I guess not anymore. Expect Johnny Cash.
7th March 2008 08:50 AM
Gazza yeah, but he had to die first. All bets are off when you're tapping into the 'grief' market.
7th March 2008 08:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I like the tour more than the album, their best post '89 IMO. St. Louis' must be their best show ever since 1981.

Surprised someone from your part of the world would say that, Soldatti.

Buenos Aires 1998 blows St Louis out of the water for me as far as stadium shows go.

7th March 2008 10:37 AM
Saint Sway Too Tight is great

its seriously good enough to be an X-Pensive Wino tune

some of the best bridges songs were the ones that they never played or harldy played live. Theres some good tunes on there that could of been contenders for singles.
7th March 2008 05:43 PM
Dan Anybody Seen My Baby? was a weak latter day single even for them. I am surprised they didn't go with Already Over Me though it's a little too cheesy and contrived. To be honest I haven't heard the CD in years, probably only listened to it a few times total.
7th March 2008 09:39 PM
gotdablouse Ah, nice thread.

Always loved that album, the NYC PC on the internet (28k anyone ?!), the ASMB KD Lang controversy, the stellar show in Oakland (thanks for the row 11 seats Chelskeith !). Man, the Stones still mattered at the time...probably the last time they really did.

The album was very well produced and like someone said has aged well, just like Tattoo You and...Exile.

No hits, but excellent tracks, SOM, OOC, AOM, ASMB.

Now we need someone to LEAK the unbooted outtakes, Everchanging World (was supposed to be a Japanese B-side) and all the Keith tracks listed by Karnbach.
8th March 2008 08:59 AM
Bruno The best record from the "modern" age. Superb mix. Guitars out loud. Great rockers and Always Suffering is one of their greatest ballads. I even like Might As Well Get Juiced. I donīt think there is a single weak track - maybe You Donīt Have To Mean It.

Question about that amazing tour (the show in Rio broadcasted by Globo was killer): the Gimme Shelter version in No Security is from a small venue gig for the MTV, right? Is there a video?
8th March 2008 10:41 AM
glencar Literally! I have it on VHS.
8th March 2008 11:34 AM
mrhipfl I looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. I found this from '94, though.

Man, those guitars are smoking eh?
8th March 2008 01:22 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. I found this from '94, though.

Man, those guitars are smoking eh?

It s from Amsterdam paradiso I guess.1995.
"Stripped Companion" kicks ass

[Edited by Jumacfly]
8th March 2008 02:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno wrote:
The best record from the "modern" age. Superb mix. Guitars out loud. Great rockers and Always Suffering is one of their greatest ballads. I even like Might As Well Get Juiced. I donīt think there is a single weak track - maybe You Donīt Have To Mean It.

Question about that amazing tour (the show in Rio broadcasted by Globo was killer): the Gimme Shelter version in No Security is from a small venue gig for the MTV, right? Is there a video?

Yes. Five songs from the MTV "Live at the 10 Spot" show on 25/10/97 in a theatre in Purchase, NY were broadcast live. They played eleven songs...the rest of the songs have never circulated

The version of "Gimme Shelter" that was released on the CD single of "Saint of Me" in Feb 1998, however, comes from the Paradiso in Amsterdam 26/5/95.
[Edited by Gazza]
8th March 2008 03:17 PM
Gimme Shelter I thought it was a very cool album. "Anybody Seen My Baby" was played regularly on the radio and MTV played the video alot. The tour was incredible, I thought. I remember being hyped hearing Sister Morphine live.
8th March 2008 04:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Surprised someone from your part of the world would say that, Soldatti.

Buenos Aires 1998 blows St Louis out of the water for me as far as stadium shows go.

I think the band played a lot better in St Louis, yet the 4th show here (Apr. 4) was out of this world, amazing concert.
8th March 2008 05:08 PM
Gazza Thats the one that Saint of Me and out of Control on 'No Security' are from, right?

Based on those two songs, you're absolutely right. Now where are the recordings of those 4 uncirculating shows??!!

8th March 2008 05:28 PM
Soldatti ASMB was a HIT in U.S, maybe their bigger since Rock And A Hard Place. The song didn't chart on the Hot 100 because the single wasn't released in U.S, at the time only the physical singles were allowed to chart on Billboard, that rule was changed on Dec. 1998.

In the U.S Top 40 Airplay chart the song reached #23
http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1997/11-01.htm
11th March 2008 01:47 PM
Honky Tonk Man Bridges To Babylon was their most creative release in years. Brimming with ideas, new sounds and energy. Saint Of Me, Out Of Control and How Can I Stop? are masterpieces.

Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang are both solid releases, but lacking that special ingrediant.
11th March 2008 10:20 PM
Glimmer Twin I really like Saint of Me, and the first two songs are good. But the rest of the album does not inpsire me at all. ABB is way better.
11th March 2008 10:31 PM
Zack I love it, except Already Over Me and Always Suffering are too similar for the same album. I'm still amazed at how divisive Too Tight is. So many people think its one of the biggest piles of shit the Stones have ever put out. Me, I love it, the great intro, cheeky lyrics, Wino-like drumming from Charlie. Much like SSMC from ABB. Many hate it, but I think it's cool.
13th March 2008 04:25 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
ABB is way better.

Some people really like mediocrity.
14th March 2008 08:33 PM
gotdablouse Up for a great album, quite unexpected after the mediocrity of UC, DW. VL had better songs but the production was dull and boring. B2B had it all, the songs, the production, the variety, the playing, where's Waddy when you need him !
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)