ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Van Morrison to release first album of new material in two years (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
4th March 2008 09:39 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Ade wrote:
come to the UK!

Oh don't tempt me, my friend....

Always a possiblity down the road
4th March 2008 12:30 PM
Martha
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Same here, Martha.. He never comes close to Cowtown! Guess I'll have to road trip if I am ever gonna see him!

Hey Sway Sister! Cowtown (and OH) however, does get more music than CO. Denver is NOT a music town like I was told it was. Petty still has no venue picked for the July 19th supposed gig here, so the tickets are not on sale. The BOSS won't play here at all, which really sucks and we happen to have the most beautiful natural venue on EARTH in the backyard. The Dead knew....they played it the most times of any other band, 24 or 25 I think.

"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight I'm out of range
I used to care,but things have changed."
BD

xxoo,
Martha
4th March 2008 12:39 PM
glencar
quote:
Martha wrote:

I heard track 3 yesterday on XM40. I so want to see Van live. Never have.

I saw him live once & although I love his records, he had some young guy doing most of the singing & he was somewhat indifferent to the crowd. Still, it was nice to hear the music! I don't think I'd go out of my way to see him again though.
4th March 2008 01:09 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
I saw him live once & although I love his records, he had some young guy doing most of the singing & he was somewhat indifferent to the crowd. Still, it was nice to hear the music! I don't think I'd go out of my way to see him again though.

Thanks glenny. I will not travel to see him then.

xxoo,
MM
4th March 2008 01:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

Presume you mean Brian Kennedy. He hasnt toured with Van for years.

Van's a shy man who lets his music do the talking, I suppose. He's never been one for inane audience patter.
10th March 2008 10:15 AM
Ade Van gives rare interview, on BBC Radio 4's ,
"The Today Programme"

http://www.nme.com/news/van-morrison/35011
10th March 2008 10:28 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Ade wrote:
Van gives rare interview, on BBC Radio 4's ,
"The Today Programme"

http://www.nme.com/news/van-morrison/35011

Bless you, Adrian!!

And a longer interview on BBC Radio 2, Paul Jones show at 19:00 today!!

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
10th March 2008 11:45 AM
Ade you're welcome Meg

...there's a parcel heading Columbus way....
11th March 2008 07:39 AM
Xav There's a very long time Van Morrison is only the shadow of the shadow of the great artist he used to be, producing awful discs and lamentable concerts ones after the others. His last good disc occured in 1999 (Back On Top), his last good concert in 2001 (Warsaw, 25th may)

Never mind, harcore fans forgave everything, bought all of his releases with an admirable constancy and traveled hundreds, somethimes thousands of kilometers to attend his shows, because of their unlimited gratitude for the artist, despite he became a boring and grumpy old man full of contempt for all of his fans.

But now, Mr Morrison decided to follow Prince Rogers Nelson's steps and hired the Websheriff services. You know, the guy who threatened YouTube so they remove a video that a mother had put on line, showing her baby doing some rambling over a barely audible musical background from Prince, see http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/07/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

As a result, a totaly paranoid attack against the most respectful and less commercial sites dedicated to Van Morrison, specially the incredible Michael Hayward's "Van Morrison Website", and a not less violent attack against dimeadozen, where the hard-die fans (the same ones who bought everything Van did commit) shared unofficial and strictly unreleased recordings. Actual bootleg sellers and real pirat sites are applauding this intelligent action, which opened widely the door for their really illegal activities: dimeadozen cut drastically in their profits by doing for free, with control and ethics, what they do for money. But those ones are too big fishes for Mr Websheriff, who does nothing against them (did he only try?)

So, it's time to claim it: buying this disc is a waste of time and money. All you'll have here is the last mediocre opus from an ending artist having no more voice, repeating over and over the same whining complains, shamelessly moaning about how badly he's treated by ugly businessmen of the recording industry.

We can't believe you anymore, Mr Morrison. We now know "who was that masked man": masks felt down.

Xav
[Edited by Xav]
14th March 2008 08:28 AM
PartyDoll MEG Gotta love this Belfast Balladeer!

Van Morrison classically cranky at SXSW

03:25 PM CDT on Thursday, March 13, 2008
By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

AUSTIN – South by Southwest usually focuses on young buzz bands eager to make their mark. But this year, the opening-night buzz belonged to a cranky geezer who made his mark 44 years ago: Van Morrison.The 62-year-old legend drew an overflow crowd Wednesday night to La Zona Rosa, where he played a set that was puzzling at times, transcendent at others, but never predictable. In other words, it was classic Van the Man.

He strode onstage wearing a fedora, sunglasses and a hard-core poker face. After a few minutes, he finally acknowledged the audience.

"If someone will turn off that mobile phone, we'll get started," he huffed.

Uh-oh. When the Irish Cowboy turns surly, things can get ugly.

But alas, they never did. Mr. Morrison dove headfirst into the music, immersing himself in the songs, the lyrics and his trademark flights of scat singing. The word "C'mon" turned into a 20-syllable jazz poem. "Bluh bluh" became a 30-second gospel epiphany.

By the end of the hourlong set, he was moaning the blues in a deep voice like the second coming of Howlin' Wolf.

Backed by a tight 11-piece band, he spent most of the show previewing songs from Keep It Simple, his 33rd studio CD, which is due out next month. In "No Thing" and "End of the Land," he brokered a smooth marriage of twang and soul à la Ray Charles' Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music.

He played sax. He played ukulele. But he didn't play a single hit – not even "Moondance," his usual concession to his glory days.

The no-hits approach didn't exactly thrill the audience, which was heavy on music-biz types seeing him for the first time. Instead of cheering after band members soloed – as fans did in December at Dallas' Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center – the audience stood quietly, apparently saving their applause for "Brown-Eyed Girl."

But "Girl" was a no-show, reminding you that Van Morrison isn't a crowd-pleaser – even when the crowd's filled with music-biz VIPs

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
14th March 2008 09:10 AM
Factory Girl Hey, Hey My friend Martha!!

I LOVE BOULDER, CO.

I'll trade towns in a heart beat with you, darling.
14th March 2008 10:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
Xav wrote:
But now, Mr Morrison decided to follow Prince Rogers Nelson's steps and hired the Websheriff services. You know, the guy who threatened YouTube so they remove a video that a mother had put on line, showing her baby doing some rambling over a barely audible musical background from Prince, see http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/07/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

As a result, a totaly paranoid attack against the most respectful and less commercial sites dedicated to Van Morrison, specially the incredible Michael Hayward's "Van Morrison Website", and a not less violent attack against dimeadozen, where the hard-die fans (the same ones who bought everything Van did commit) shared unofficial and strictly unreleased recordings. Actual bootleg sellers and real pirat sites are applauding this intelligent action, which opened widely the door for their really illegal activities: dimeadozen cut drastically in their profits by doing for free, with control and ethics, what they do for money. But those ones are too big fishes for Mr Websheriff, who does nothing against them (did he only try?)

The actions of a paranoid self obsessed prick with his head up his own arse, for sure. Didnt he buy every copy of a book that was written about him some years ago to prevent it being distributed widely or something - or am I just imagining that?

Great idea, Van....driving the market for your music right back into the hands of the bootleggers.

Michael Hayward's site is fantastic. I've contributed some pieces to that one myself based on personal local knowledge. I cant see what there is there for someone to object to or that could lead to it being shut down.

Looks like I'll just be downloading his new record for free.
14th March 2008 10:58 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The actions of a paranoid self obsessed prick with his head up his own arse, for sure. Didnt he buy every copy of a book that was written about him some years ago to prevent it being distributed widely or something - or am I just imagining that?

Great idea, Van....driving the market for your music right back into the hands of the bootleggers.

Michael Hayward's site is fantastic. I've contributed some pieces to that one myself based on personal local knowledge. I cant see what there is there for someone to object to or that could lead to it being shut down.

Looks like I'll just be downloading his new record for free.

Yes indeed..Hayward's site is down..

There are only two words there: "stay tuned"

What a rotten shame! I loved that site!
14th March 2008 11:13 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Gotta love this Belfast Balladeer!

Van Morrison classically cranky at SXSW

"If someone will turn off that mobile phone, we'll get started," he huffed.

Surly ol' scrote, ain't he?
14th March 2008 11:16 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Surly ol' scrote, ain't he?

He sure is..

but I never get tired of hearing his music
14th March 2008 02:41 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
He sure is..

but I never get tired of hearing his music

LOL...I'd meant to say "Grumpy old scrote" - it resonates so much better! I respect the guy and love some of his early stuff, but he's just not my cuppa, to quote Zack in another thread. But then, diversity is what keeps things interesting around here!
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)