ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Record Companies: Who Needs Them?" Return to archive
20th March 2007 03:22 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Rocker David Byrne making sense at SXSW fest
Fri Mar 16, 2007

AUSTIN, Texas (Billboard) - Former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne wants record labels to focus more on marketing than on manufacturing and distribution in the face of increasing digital album sales.

Byrne gave a presentation entitled "Record Companies: Who Needs Them?" at the South by Southwest music conference in Austin, Texas, Thursday. He offered a slide show that predicated digital sales would outstrip CD sales by 2012.

That year will be the "tipping point," much like the mid-to-late '80s when CDs overtook cassette sales. Once download sales became the norm, Byrne said, it will allow manufacturing and distribution costs to approach zero. "That is a fact," he said.

He said at that point, record labels will be faced with a sort of choice -- to ramp up marketing services to use music as a loss leader for tours and merchandise revenue, or aim only for international stars of the ilk of Britney Spears.

"Artists need help," said Byrne, who said he's in the final stages of negotiating a new contract with Nonesuch Records, a boutique label owned by Warner Music Group.

He said the idea of artists working completely independently of a record label is possible, and pointed to the success of singer/songwriter Aimee Mann. Yet Byrne noted that such a model won't work for smaller or developing acts, who need a team to provide marketing and tour support.

But Byrne seemed to imply that labels are not changing as rapidly as they need to be. He pointed to the royalties artists receive on each CD sale, and put the number at about $1.60. He said the royalty rate is essentially the same with an iTunes sale.

"There's no manufacturing or distribution costs," Byrne said, "but somehow the artist ended up with the exact same amount."

While conceding the marketing costs in the digital era won't be cheap, Byrne noted that sites like YouTube offer more possibilities to artists than MTV. He called up a YouTube video of a man standing in a cavern. "Nobody is telling you have to make a million dollar video," Byrne said. "You can make it like this guy -- stand in a dangerous place and everyone will watch."

But first, he said, labels will have to remove their digital rights management (DRM) copyright-control technology. He said he buys most of his music online via eMusic, or obtains it illegally, due to the file constraints on files sold on iTunes. Byrne predicated that once DRM is removed, iTunes will no longer "have a monopoly," and labels will be better prepared to deal with Web sales.

An audience member suggested that such an idea was depressing, largely due to the decreased sound quality of a digital download.

"It's kind of sad," Byrne said, "but I think of it as a boost for live music. As long as it doesn't get to be too horrible -- the sound quality -- they'll go for convenience and accessibility. He added, "It doesn't have to sound good to move people."

Reuters/Billboard

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
20th March 2007 08:30 AM
corgi37 yes, David Byrne does not need record companies. Yes, he has out sold so many people. He is....who the fuck is he?

Ok - joke - i know who he is

But, what has he done for me lately?

Record guy: David, Goomba. David, just one record as Talking Heads. We are talking multi zero's. A tour. Man, my man, we can do it. The big suit. The little chick on bass..."

David: Thats Tina...

Record guy: "No, i mean, we got a little chick on bass. Plays bass in a red bikini. Hot man...hot!. David, the big suit! THE BIG SUIT!"

David: "Pass. I'd rather play to 100 people.
Record guy: "And so you shall.... Doris...Doris....Get me Wang Chung on the line".
20th March 2007 09:55 AM
CraigP The business as I know it is changing, likely for the worse. Just the business I'm going to school for.

I'm still optimistic that I'll find my place somewhere in the realm of recorded audio.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)