ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New material Return to archive Page: 1 2
18th March 2007 02:49 AM
Spru First and foremost, I must say I've had a few drinks tonight. Secondly, I am listening to ABB after a few drinks....and I really identify with Oh No Not You Again and a few other songs...we know Rough Justice is simply unreal for a modern era Stones tune....but my point is - we need some new material. It's coming up on 2 years since ABB was released and I know they are getting ready for another tour this summer, but at this point I am ready for anything. I will glady take anything the Stones release at this point. What ever happened to the "Forty Licks" sessions that supposedly yielded 30 songs? I'd love to hear some of that stuff. Let's hear some new material period!!!
18th March 2007 05:01 AM
corgi37 They've been spinning that bullshit since 78. "We've got album after album in the can, ready to go". Well, after nearly 30 years, we know thats just crap. Keith doesnt write songs anymore. If he did, where was a solo album for the 8 years from B2B - ABB??
18th March 2007 09:27 AM
glencar Losing My Touch...
18th March 2007 09:50 AM
fireontheplatter i must admit i had a couple of cups of wine last night too.
i enjoyed the heck out of the roger waters show voodoo posted here.
19th March 2007 10:20 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
They've been spinning that bullshit since 78. "We've got album after album in the can, ready to go". Well, after nearly 30 years, we know thats just crap. Keith doesnt write songs anymore. If he did, where was a solo album for the 8 years from B2B - ABB??

agreed....each time thinking we are really going to get something special, only to be disappointed again. With the small amount of releases over the past decade, you would think it would be limited to high quality , but just the opposite has occurred. With only four(4) recordings of "new material since 89(SW, VL, B2B, and ABB) it is extremely disheartening to see time and time again the lack of a real quality release with staying power.
19th March 2007 11:12 AM
glencar I agree that SW & VL had no staying power but I enjoy the latter two. Maybe the 1st two had set my expectations so low...
19th March 2007 12:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
Spru wrote:
What ever happened to the "Forty Licks" sessions that supposedly yielded 30 songs? I'd love to hear some of that stuff.

They only recorded for two weeks, so how finished or listenable could those songs be? They were probably just half finished 'sketches'.

In that short time frame, I'd imagine the 4 that they released were all that were finished. And they dont exactly bode well for the quality of what wasnt used.
19th March 2007 12:04 PM
glencar Extreme Western Grip?
19th March 2007 12:49 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Extreme Western Grip?

Well well well..two fake new songs, massive deception Blue
19th March 2007 12:50 PM
glencar I remember my disappointment!
19th March 2007 12:56 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
I remember my disappointment!

Same here!!
but Four Flicks ruled!!
19th March 2007 05:20 PM
Joey " ....but my point is - we need some new material. "

19th March 2007 05:25 PM
pdog Maxlugar is working on new material for joey!
19th March 2007 05:31 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

In that short time frame, I'd imagine the 4 that they released were all that were finished. And they dont exactly bode well for the quality of what wasnt used.

And those four were barely finished at that. I actually didn't mind the songs in themselves; the problem was that were undercooked. If they could do that project all over again -- with the attention and care it deserved -- I think they should've put "Waiting On A Friend," "Time Is On My Side" and a couple other tunes on the main collection and released the four new ones as a bonus EP.

But let's not rehash that all over again.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
19th March 2007 06:04 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
Maxlugar is working on new material for joey!

Yes , I hear he is is working on a new album again -- GOLD !!!!!!!

[Edited by ]

[Edited by Joey]
19th March 2007 07:11 PM
gotdablouse Bumped into a Mick interview for ABB recently and he said that they didn't need to go back to the 2002 sessions because new material was flowing in for ABB, but there a few good things here and there...so much for Keith's "best recent material" he was spinning at the time.

The biggest problem with the 4 CDs since SW is that they didn't hone the songs over the years but recorded them as if they were still releasing an album every year, cramming in writing sessions and then recording them ASAP. Well they did try for VL but given the boring results, I guess it wasn't worth bothering really. Each time they should have been capable of coming up with a "Tattoo You" given the gaps.

Thing is they just put out new material when they *really* have to, instead of working on stuff on the road like they used to. How hard would it be to a record a song a week when they're touring.

Still I wouldn't mind the "rush" of a new album, its gotten me every time since UC in 1983...and there can't be too many opportunities left :-(
19th March 2007 07:22 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The biggest problem with the 4 CDs since SW is that they didn't hone the songs over the years but recorded them as if they were still releasing an album every year, cramming in writing sessions and then recording them ASAP.

That's it! The self-imposed deadlines are a double-edge sword: The good thing is that it spurs them to work. The bad thing is that it spurs them to do work they are otherwise not inclined to do (apart from the big tours, in other words). Which is why they always end up in a ridiculous hurry. Like, no studio album in eight years. Time to put one out ... and we've got five minutes!
19th March 2007 07:30 PM
gotdablouse Hehe well put...ABB really fits the bill for that.

To be fair they had no choice for SW, for VL they tried, it failed, more of a production problem really at the end of the day and the fact that Mick was dried up from the excellent WS. Slightly different for B2B as apparently Mick wasn't too keen on doing it at the time, but I still think it's the one only of the 4 that has that little "something" (other than the hideous cover) that made them the greatest Rock act over the years. Hard to tell why, but I'd have to say that Waddy's inspired guitar playing (his work on SOM is stunning) is one of the reasons for that...and possibly the total absence of rock journeyman Chuck and for the most part of Darryl "boring" (ex-The Munch) Jones
[Edited by gotdablouse]
19th March 2007 07:38 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Hehe well put...ABB really fits the bill for that.

To be fair they had no choice for SW, for VL they tried, it failed, more of a production problem really at the end of the day and the fact that Mick was dried up from the excellent WS. Slightly different for B2B as apparently Mick wasn't too keen on doing it at the time, but I still think it's the one only of the 4 that has that little "something" (other than the hideous cover) that made them the greatest Rock act over the years. Hard to tell why, but I'd have to say that Waddy's inspired guitar playing (his work on SOM is stunning) is one of the reasons for that...and possibly the total absence of rock journeyman Chuck and for the most part of Darryl "boring" (ex-The Munch) Jones
[Edited by gotdablouse]

VL was totally neutered, production-wise; you're right about that. The really maddening thing about it, though, was that after spending a relatively long period of time writing, the finished product was -- go figure! -- an arbitrary patchwork. As Keith said to Dan Akroyd in that VH1 special, the decision was, "Let's throw on the 15 we've got ready." As we all know, there was much, much better stuff they held back.
19th March 2007 07:49 PM
gotdablouse Yeah, I'm amazed Was survived that massive waste of time and talent. Well he barely did since Mick pretty much kicked him out for B2B, but Keith saved his ass by getting him to oversee the various sessions...it's not like they were dealing with Jimmy Miller. Imagine if they had included Keith's marvellous grooves, heck even the "Honest Man" demo sounded better than pretty much anything on there. We're back to the Stones no longer being interested in making a point with their new music, so they just play it safe with journeyman musicians and producers...sad really.

Reflecting back on the nearly 20 years since SW it certainly didn't help that Mick and Keith put out solo albums that no one outside the Stones fanbase were interested in anyway. WS recorded by the Stones with Keith's "999" or "Words of Wonder" could have been something massive.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
19th March 2007 08:14 PM
Riffhard Here's my take on the whole new material mantra. Forget it. It's not that we won't ever get any more new stuff,but rather that even if we do it won't be very good. I just think that Mick could give two shits about even trying. I mean these guys are each worth hundreds of millions dollars. They don't need the money,and they have made it very clear that they earn their money on the road. They know that that is where their bread is buttered,so to speak. Plus,given the fact that Jagger just does not care at all about his legacy tells me all I need to know about the prospects of any decent new Stones' tunes. The guy is always looking forward never back. He has never seemed to care about trying to please anyone but himself. If Jagger wanted to sit down with Keith and write an album of great material I have no doubt that they could do it. They just don't care about doing so.

Mick has his Jagged Films distractions,and countless other side projects. Keith seems to have settled for the life of a mega rich rockstar,and could care less about putting together an album that would redefine the Stones' the way Dylan's Time Out Of Mind did. They just don't have the fire-in-the-belly anymore. And why should they really? It's a shame,but the truth is their own massive success from touring has led them to a point of nonchalance with regards to their studio output. Too bad because I would love to see them in the studio with a producer that would put the boot up their asses,and force them to live up to their brilliant legacy. Unfortunatly they have neither the will or the gumption to ever allow that to happen. I would love to be proven wrong,but I doubt that I am.

Riffy

Riffy
19th March 2007 08:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Yeah, I'm amazed Was survived that massive waste of time and talent. Well he barely did since Mick pretty much kicked him out for B2B, but Keith saved his ass by getting him to oversee the various sessions...it's not like they were dealing with Jimmy Miller. Imagine if they had included Keith's marvellous grooves, heck even the "Honest Man" demo sounded better than pretty much anything on there. We're back to the Stones no longer being interested in making a point with their new music, so they just play it safe with journeyman musicians and producers...sad really.

[Edited by gotdablouse]

Actually, I think the differences Was had with Mick during the VL sessions argue in Was's favor, however diluted the end result. Mick, in his own telling, wanted to include a lot more groove-oriented material on VL, which, in my opinion, was not what the thing needed. No more "Suck On The Jugular," please.

There's a reason Keith wanted to keep Was around for B2B: because Mick was falling all over himself to involve the then-trendy Dust Brothers, Danny Saber, etc. Keith knew that Was, if nothing else, was a steady hand and basically on the same page.

That's not to say I think the Dust Brothers were a disaster; I liked "Anybody Seen My Baby," and "Saint Of Me" is arguably one of the finest of the last 20 years. "Might As Well Get Juiced," however, sounded dated even at the time.

[Edited by Mel Belli]
19th March 2007 11:30 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Here's my take on the whole new material mantra. Forget it. It's not that we won't ever get any more new stuff,but rather that even if we do it won't be very good. I just think that Mick could give two shits about even trying. I mean these guys are each worth hundreds of millions dollars. They don't need the money,and they have made it very clear that they earn their money on the road. They know that that is where their bread is buttered,so to speak. Plus,given the fact that Jagger just does not care at all about his legacy tells me all I need to know about the prospects of any decent new Stones' tunes. The guy is always looking forward never back. He has never seemed to care about trying to please anyone but himself. If Jagger wanted to sit down with Keith and write an album of great material I have no doubt that they could do it. They just don't care about doing so.

Mick has his Jagged Films distractions,and countless other side projects. Keith seems to have settled for the life of a mega rich rockstar,and could care less about putting together an album that would redefine the Stones' the way Dylan's Time Out Of Mind did. They just don't have the fire-in-the-belly anymore. And why should they really? It's a shame,but the truth is their own massive success from touring has led them to a point of nonchalance with regards to their studio output. Too bad because I would love to see them in the studio with a producer that would put the boot up their asses,and force them to live up to their brilliant legacy. Unfortunatly they have neither the will or the gumption to ever allow that to happen. I would love to be proven wrong,but I doubt that I am.

Riffy

Riffy

RIFY,HOME RUN POSTIN'
MICK'S LYRICS SUCK AND KEEF IS LAZY
20th March 2007 03:31 PM
gotdablouse @Mel Belli - yes, "Suck on the Jugular" was pretty horrible, but there were good grooves, albeit Keith's, hanging around as we found out on "Stew" ("Make it Now" comes to mind).

I think they also disagreed on the sound and I think Mick told Wenner in that lengthy RS interview, in late 95, that he was annoyed that Was tried to make VL sound like 1972, i.e. dated and I don't see any similarity with 1972! Rubin did a better job in that department with WS.

Yep Riffy, I guess Mick doesn't give much of a toss at this point although the songs on ABB are mostly ok, what's really missing most is some inspired guitar playing.
20th March 2007 03:32 PM
jb a great post by Riffy....
20th March 2007 03:37 PM
LadyJane Will they EVER open the "vaults"????

LJ.
20th March 2007 03:40 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Will they EVER open the "vaults"????

LJ.

I don't think "they" will. But someone else will after they're dead.
20th March 2007 03:41 PM
jb No...Mick thinks the new stuff is better....he really does!!! And that is why we suffer through abortions like B2B and the vile ABB.
20th March 2007 03:44 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:
No...Mick thinks the new stuff is better....he really does!!! And that is why we suffer through abortions like B2B and the vile ABB.

that's insane!

LJ.
20th March 2007 04:30 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
No...Mick thinks the new stuff is better....he really does!!! And that is why we suffer through abortions like B2B and the vile ABB.

That is miracle on ice postin'
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)