ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dirty Work is the last genuine Stones album. Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th March 2007 06:53 PM
Ronnie Richards One Hit alone makes this statement true.

(Yes, Back to Zero and Winning Ugly are quite possibly the two most disgustingly bad "songs" ever written - just the same, Dirty Work is the last album they made before they became Stones Inc., "the greatest AOR band in the world"..)
17th March 2007 06:57 PM
mojoman while this album has some good songs its already clear the band was divided hence the overall weakness of the effort
17th March 2007 07:17 PM
Soldatti Last authentic Stones album, best lyrics from the last 5 stidio albums.
17th March 2007 07:28 PM
fireontheplatter i tend to go along with micks thinking...whichever album is out now that is your best one. there may be some truth to this, but time goes by and we change our minds. dw is not one of my overall favorite cds but it certainly has some good songs on it. it is a crap shoot with these guys...they write 3-5 minute bursts of song and some are good and some suck.
i have always like the back to zero song because of its funkyness and it so happent to be one of my faves. on hit to the body is a killer....hold back is a cranker i like.
but if you were to ask me if i liked this one next to beggers...well i think you know the answer.
17th March 2007 07:36 PM
Ronnie Richards Well obviously any sensible man will prefer beggars banquet to dirty work. I'm not saying dw is a great album - but it's certainly not as dull and pedestrian as every stones album since 1989..
No, DW is violent and loud - and occasionly it fucking rocks..
17th March 2007 07:40 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Well obviously any sensible man will prefer beggars banquet to dirty work. I'm not saying dw is a great album - but it's certainly not as dull and pedestrian as every stones album since 1989..
No, DW is violent and loud - and occasionly it fucking rocks..

i am not a sensible man.

keith and mick were having knife fights on the front lawn when they were doing this cd...that is why it is violent and loud....
they record true to form, but some songs fucking suck...like all about you.
17th March 2007 10:40 PM
Bruno I like all the things that are commonly pointed out as shit in the record: Mick´s singing, drumming sound, lyrics... How can you dislike songs like "Fight" or "Winning Ugly"? The whole album is full of killer guitars.

I only can´t stand "Too Rude". That echo drumming is awful.
17th March 2007 10:53 PM
mojoman
quote:
Bruno wrote: The whole album is full of killer guitars.

jimmy page?
18th March 2007 12:00 AM
fireontheplatter i like fight and too rude
great songs
18th March 2007 01:07 AM
glencar The worst song on there is Hold Back. Winning Ugly is dated but I liked it "back in the day."
18th March 2007 05:24 AM
Prodigal Son I actually like the drum sound, guitars and Mick too. If ABB had the bite of the few good tunes from DW, then it'd be their best work in years no doubt. DW is their most average record for me. But this is the Stones, so it's not all shit. Its status is cause there's only one truly great tune IMO ("One Hit" which triumphs despite glossy production techniques-imagine if this song were done back in '71, wow!) and several lousy/mediocre ones.

What's good is quite good ("One Hit," to a lesser extent "Fight," "Had it with You" and "Harlem Shuffle") and what's bad is quite bad ("Winning Ugly," "Hold Back," "Back to Zero"). I find the Keith outings somewhere in between with "Sleep Tonight" being the preferred one over "Too Rude" (so average you might as well call it "Cherry Oh Baby, Pt. 2"). Hey, I like "Sleep Tonight" better than his usual closers-those being "All About You," "Slipping Away," "Thru and Thru," and "Infamy."
18th March 2007 03:41 PM
_Boomy_ Dirty Work!!!

Yes!
18th March 2007 06:23 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
glencar wrote:
Winning Ugly is dated but I liked it "back in the day."

I think I recall someone on the boards saying that Winning Ugly was a Mick Jagger song (it certainly sounds like one, title and all) and was intended to be a movie closing theme song...or perhaps the song to be played as the protagonist realizes he must do something to overcome his short-comings...ala MANIAC in Flashdance.
18th March 2007 06:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
One Hit alone makes this statement true.

(Yes, Back to Zero and Winning Ugly are quite possibly the two most disgustingly bad "songs" ever written - just the same, Dirty Work is the last album they made before they became Stones Inc., "the greatest AOR band in the world"..)

Last genuine Stones album? Not really. Mick wasnt there early on and contributed little, most of the songs were written by Keith & Ronnie, Charlie was AWOL for part of the time and they had to rely more than ever on cameos from friends, session musicians and even guitar technicians to get the songs finished.

If anything, its the most disjointed group effort of their entire career.

And it shows.
18th March 2007 06:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i am not a sensible man.

keith and mick were having knife fights on the front lawn when they were doing this cd...

eh??
18th March 2007 07:19 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

eh??

i didn't mean this literally..but it could have happened.
18th March 2007 07:53 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
keith and mick were having knife fights on the front lawn when they were doing this cd...

Although violent, this image strikes me as comedic.

The thought of Keith and Mick doing something in a front yard makes me crack up.
[Edited by _Boomy_]
19th March 2007 03:00 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Last genuine Stones album? Not really. Mick wasnt there early on and contributed little, most of the songs were written by Keith & Ronnie, Charlie was AWOL for part of the time and they had to rely more than ever on cameos from friends, session musicians and even guitar technicians to get the songs finished.

I won't dispute that, but I was thinking more in terms of attitude and sound - in short Stones as the band I know and love, in contrast to the Bon Jovi-esque "Stones" of the past 20 years..
19th March 2007 05:25 AM
Zack
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
the Bon Jovi-esque "Stones" of the past 20 years..

Low blow! Take a deep breath and count to ten before you post, Gazza.

Re: Winnning Ugly. I was a senior in college in 86 and wasn't following the DW debacle at all. I thought this track was a Jagger solo song when I heard it on the radio. I also thought Ruthless People must be a Stones song when I saw the movie. Is that Keith on guitar there?
19th March 2007 05:28 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
The thought of Keith and Mick doing something in a front yard makes me crack up

quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Yes, there was tension, but they banked on it with the One Hit video, as they always do, remember, these guys are bottom line oriented.

I hold it from a good source (a friend who was on tow during these sessions) that they generally all had dinner together at the "Val d'Isère" restaurant before proceeding to Boulogne to record the DW, there was no fighting and everyone was pretty chummy it seems. He had told me that Charlie was "out of it", and at the time I thought it was from the booze, but in the meantime we've found out from the man himself that was, something, er...slightly stronger.

I agree with Mick's comment, when DW came out, everyone was ecstatic, "most lethal sound ever..., etc...", killer songs, guitars, but it clearly lacks in depth with most of the songs having apparently been thrown together by Keith, not the best editor of songs due to his rambling mind, actually has he ever been credited with writing a song alone ? It doesn't help that we have this hideous synth/backing vocal production, something that would also the much better songs on Mick's PC, IMHO.
19th March 2007 05:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I wont dispute that DW is good, but its not as good as Voodoo Lounge. I think B2B even runs it close.

Gazza is right. Its a very disjointed effort.

19th March 2007 10:15 AM
jb While not my favorite, it certainly was their last album that had mean guitars and vocals . It was by no means a classic, but compared to the subsequent output, it 's status certainly has risen over the years.
19th March 2007 10:24 AM
Saint Sway ABB is Mick's 2nd best solo record.

And Dirty Work is Keith's 3rd best solo album.

quote:
Gazza wrote:

If anything, its the most disjointed group effort of their entire career.

And it shows.

19th March 2007 10:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man Genuine, how? A Stones album is a Stones album. Perhaps it’s more authentic in the sense in that it wasn’t recorded to promote a tour, then yes, perhaps. It’s a dire set of songs for the most part though, so none of this matters to me.
19th March 2007 10:51 AM
glencar Half good, half meh.
19th March 2007 10:53 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
jb wrote:
While not my favorite, it certainly was their last album that had mean guitars and vocals . It was by no means a classic, but compared to the subsequent output, it 's status certainly has risen over the years.

You still got that poster you had in your dorm room?
19th March 2007 10:56 AM
jb
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

You still got that poster you had in your dorm room?

Good memory..the huge black and white with Mick shirtless...I had that professionally matted and it really was a nice piece. My son looked for it at my Mom's storage bin at her condo, but it must have been a moving casualty as there is no signs of it.
19th March 2007 10:57 AM
glencar You should look harder!
19th March 2007 10:58 AM
_Boomy_ Yeah. That's the one I have framed, as well.

Mine is a little beat-up, but it looks great when the sunlight doesn't hit it.
19th March 2007 10:59 AM
jb
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Yeah. That's the one I have framed, as well.

Mine is a little beat-up, but it looks great when the sunlight doesn't hit it.

A very cool photo .....Wyman looks very cool in that shot as well.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)