ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB: Straight forward Rock n Stones, from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th March 2007 06:10 AM
glencar Don't be such an idjet, IanBillen. Bill Perks & I agree with ye. We know good Stones & ABB is it!
13th March 2007 09:50 AM
tumbling dice ABB got their worst single ever (streets of love) and one of their worst tracks (sweet Neocon)but if you excluded it the album got a lot of good tracks and i love it!
13th March 2007 01:44 PM
Steel Wheels I'm such a junkie for new Stones. A Bigger Bang is a brilliant record, and easily one of my top 5 of all time.

The packaging features the band on the cover for the first time since Dirty Work. I hate the new tongue, but you don't hear the artwork. I like how the lyrics are repoduced, the credits for each track.

Each song sounds as if it was recorded along with the other ones, not recorded years ago and freshened up. It's was all fresh, new music with a current-sounding thread. The aesthetics of the music is fantastic.

For the first time since Steel Wheels the band has produced a solid album from beginning to end. No filler. Just great stuff from the Greatest Rock and Roll Band ever.
13th March 2007 08:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have a theory.

It is, to wit:

ABB was universally beloved because it was a new Stones album...the first in eight years.

Now that it has had time to sink in, everyone but the most sycophantic fans have now realized that it pretty much blows chunks.

Those that still sing it's praises are unlikely to change their opinion, for that would be admitting that they were wrong. Seeing some of the names that posted positive response, this does not suprise me.

Further, some folks are OK with schlocky commercial radio music. I even know people that enjoy elevator and doctors office music. ABB fits that bill well. I'm glad those folks have an adult contemporary pop MOR album from The Stones to enjoy. However, that is not what I look for in a Stones album. Nothing more than a personal preferance as far as I can tell. More power to ya.

Here's the deal with ABB. It totally lacks a full nutsack. It is an emasculated album. That isn't something that I look for in a Stones record. Say whay you want to about Dirty Work, but one thing it had was balls. I wish ABB had half the 'nads that DW has. I mean, they debuted a single on A SOAP OPERA. Let that sink in. Since when to the badasses of Rock n Roll debut songs on a fucking Soap. Does this not send up any warning flags?

But I think the worst sin of ABB is that it's sooooo dull.

I've never been bored with a new Stones album in less than a week. Especially an album that I waited 8 years for.

I know that The Stones still have great music left in them. But if ABB is the direction that their muse is taking them...they'll be going there without me. I'll just play Let It Bleed more often.

Oh, and before you start posting any advice about "getting with the times", lemme say this....save your breath. I like the 1969 Stones better than the ABB Stones. If the ABB Stones tripped my trigger like that, I'd be right in the here and now with them. But now sucks, so luckily for me, I have the previous 40 years to fall back on.
13th March 2007 08:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I'm such a junkie for new Stones. A Bigger Bang is a brilliant record, and easily one of my top 5 of all time.

what? top 5 albums of all time by ANYONE??
13th March 2007 08:23 PM
pdog the best new thing the stones can do at this point, is old stones, preferably live stuff and shit in the vault.... but it's been sad ad nauseum, and they know it too.
13th March 2007 08:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I have a theory.

It is, to wit:

ABB was universally beloved because it was a new Stones album...the first in eight years.

It was never "universally beloved". Opinions were divided from day one.

You could look at the reaction another way. To some, the reaction would have been positive for exactly the reasons you say. On the other side of the coin, having waited 8 years there was always going to be an element of "is THAT what we waited for?" by others. When you wait so long for something, its easily to be underwhelmed.

It could be called "Chinese Democracy Syndrome", I suppose.
13th March 2007 08:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
the best new thing the stones can do at this point, is old stones, preferably live stuff and shit in the vault.... but it's been sad ad nauseum, and they know it too.

I bet if and when they do release stuff from the vaults, most people will be somewhat underwhelmed too.
13th March 2007 08:27 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I bet if and when they do release stuff from the vaults, most people will be somewhat underwhelmed too.

and underground...
13th March 2007 08:28 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It could be called "Chinese Democracy Syndrome", I suppose.

You just invented a new rock and roll term...
13th March 2007 11:02 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
....with a dash of exile in the fuzzy rocker "Rough Justice"

wtf is a fuzzy rocker

13th March 2007 11:11 PM
White House Lawn I still like ABB--although it is too damn long (I could have done without SOL, , DRIVING TOO FAST, CAT and SSMC).

DANGEROUS BEAUTY is the best Stones song in some time--I wish that it would have been the first single!
13th March 2007 11:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot IMO, DB is the second dumbest riff on that album.

That INXS rip-off riff on SSMC is the dumbest.

And that is saying something when they come from an album chock-a-block full of dumb riffs.

14th March 2007 12:20 AM
pdog
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

wtf is a fuzzy rocker

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
14th March 2007 05:29 AM
Prodigal Son I give it a B-minus, ranking it along side TSMR and Emotional Rescue. But by virtue of those ones having superior cuts to cancel out ABB's inconsistency (with the only truly very good tunes being "Rough Justice," "Oh No No You Again" and "Laugh I Nearly Died"). You've got "She's So Cold" on ER and "She's a Rainbow" and "2000 Light Years from Home" on TSMR, so those two win out. Yes, only Dirty Work sucks more, but barely at a C+. And if you took out "Winning Ugly," "Hold Back," "Back to Zero" and "Too Rude"? Well, you'd have a very short album... but also a decent B+ grade from me.

Oh, DW had potential! No Stones album has me skipping as many tracks and yet like SS says, it has balls. I do believe the best Stones studio work since 1981 is Voodoo Lounge and the best overall one is Stripped. I recently got this and man, this is a kick ass live album and the way the Stones should be, steeped in the blues. A-minus I decree! Thank God they keep the crapola and the war horses to a minimum on Stripped
14th March 2007 07:37 AM
glencar The same old anti-ABB post by SS, like this one will make any difference. It's all been said & like Gazza, I recall the boos on the day this CD was released. You can't rewrite history. And if I ever were to change my mind about this particular CD, I'd be man enough to admit it. Yourself?
14th March 2007 07:39 AM
glencar
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I give it a B-minus, ranking it along side TSMR and Emotional Rescue. But by virtue of those ones having superior cuts to cancel out ABB's inconsistency (with the only truly very good tunes being "Rough Justice," "Oh No No You Again" and "Laugh I Nearly Died"). You've got "She's So Cold" on ER and "She's a Rainbow" and "2000 Light Years from Home" on TSMR, so those two win out. Yes, only Dirty Work sucks more, but barely at a C+. And if you took out "Winning Ugly," "Hold Back," "Back to Zero" and "Too Rude"? Well, you'd have a very short album... but also a decent B+ grade from me.

She's So Cold? Really? Lyrically, it's the equivalent of ONNYA & musically, it's just not that interesting. I like a few ER songs & a few less TSMR songs but the best from those albums simply doesn't measure up to ABB's best. YMMV.
20th March 2007 04:16 AM
IanBillen [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
IMO, DB is the second dumbest riff on that album.

That INXS rip-off riff on SSMC is the dumbest.

And that is saying something when they come from an album chock-a-block full of dumb riffs.

SSMC's Riff is an INXS rip-off??? Once again Sir Stones Alot I have no idea of what album you're listening to here when you describe A Bigger Bang and it's music.

Each time you talk about the songs on there you get more and more remote than anything close to what everyone eles thinks the material sounds like.

What's next? "It Won't take Long" is just another Tiny Tim sound alike?

Ian

Ian
20th March 2007 04:26 AM
IanBillen
Ok SSA Maybe I'll cut you a break. It just occurred to me I think you may mean "Look what The Cat Dragged in" not She Saw Me Coming.

At least I sincerely hope this is some type of mistake...

Ian
20th March 2007 05:55 AM
speedfreakjive pap album bar DB and ONNYA plus LMDRS
20th March 2007 07:54 AM
Bitch First I'd like to say Fvck You to the critics here! The Stones albums thru the years have provided some great tunes mixed in with some not-so-great tunes. Maybe they don't know themselves which songs will stand out as the hits and the favorites, and which songs will not be destined for eternal greatness. Give them credit for keep trying and keep throwing it out there!

ABB!? Rough Justice is great little rocker, hearing MICK sing put your lips to my hips baby and tell me what's on your mind is classicly irresistable Stones! And Laugh I Nearly Died, the first time I heard it I almost cried! Oh No Not You Again, when I heard them play that at the Press Conference I laughed my ass off when MICK sangfvckng up my life several times in front of live radio and TV crews, who were scrambling to edit it out, it was hysterical! And when I heard Infamy live, it was a thrill, as well as This Place is Empty, KEEF sang them so sweetly. RAIN Fall Down and we made sweet loveis awesome, and Streets of Love is not one of my favoites but hearing it live brought it to life and gave me a new vision for love, which always was a Bitch and obviously it has been for 1000 years - it knows not fame or fortune. Back Of My Hand has the sounds of a blues song and it's new yet comforting in familiar way. Not every song gets credit but this is beautiful Stones music to my ears. I would love to see LAUGH added to the upcoming setlist!

IMO
20th March 2007 12:28 PM
jb ABB represents a steady trend of putting together lousy Mick songs and one dreadful Keith song. The album has no memorable songs, and even the rockers like RJ, ONNYA, and the so-called bluesy BMH, are all sub-par recordings. People, it's time to wake up and except the fact that they do not care about putting out a quality product as long as they can each pocket 20-25 million touring. I recall Mick stating that no one evwr told him the new songs sucked, and that sums it all up....they , like most celebs, are surrounded by sycophants and "yes" men/women....
20th March 2007 12:35 PM
Saint Sway sadly, the ABB debate will foolishly continue until they put out their next album of crap songs
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)