ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Tonight: Carlo Little Memorial Gig
7.30 PM at York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham, London
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blind Faith's Live Debut Heads To DVD (SSC) Return to archive
15th March 2006 08:30 AM
justinkurian After some delays, looks like this is coming out...From Billboard.com.

Blind Faith's Live Debut Heads To DVD

March 14, 2006, 3:30 PM ET

Greg Prato, N.Y.
Short-lived supergroup Blind Faith's live debut will be chronicled on the DVD "London Hyde Park 1969," due April 10 in Europe and the following month in North America via Sanctuary. The DVD features renditions of all six tracks from the group's lone self-titled studio album, which had not even been released at the time of the show.

"Beautiful summer afternoon, loads of people -- well over 100,000," drummer Ginger Baker recalls to Billboard.com. "Happy, relaxed, laid back gig -- not loud on stage. Just pleasant volume unlike [the] preceding band I played with."

Blind Faith rose out of the ashes of Cream, when Baker and Eric Clapton united with ex-Spencer Davis and Traffic singer/keyboardist Steve Winwood plus Family bassist Rick Grech. Although Clapton's main inspiration for forming the group was to move away from Cream's endless live soloing, "London Hyde Park 1969" has its fair share of jamming, including the drum solo showcase "Do What You Like."

Also featured are covers of the Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb," Traffic's "Means to an End" and the blues standard "Sleeping in the Ground." Vintage performances from Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and Cream round out the package.

The majority of the tracks still hold up well for Baker after all these years. "My favorite tracks are 'Sea of Joy', 'Can't Find My Way Home,' 'Presence of the Lord' and 'Had to Cry Today' -- all four are classics," Baker says. "If Blind Faith had not been such a brief thing, would probably all have been released as singles. Great shame."

After their live debut at Hyde Park, Blind Faith soldiered on for a U.S. tour of arenas, which was met with riots and clashes between fans and police on several occasions. The group quietly disbanded afterwards, with its members going on to other projects.

Despite the release of DVD, Baker rules out any chance of a Blind Faith reunion. "Rick Grech died many years ago [in 1990]," he notes. "I just come out of retirement for short periods. I'm pretty much crippled with arthritis -- playing is a very painful experience for me."
15th March 2006 09:08 AM
Break The Spell Have to check this one out. I recently got the deluxe edition of their one and only album.
15th March 2006 10:01 AM
FPM C10 How is the deluxe edition different from the original? Which cover did they use?
15th March 2006 10:23 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
How is the deluxe edition different from the original? Which cover did they use?

The deluxe edition is a two CD set with a disc of extended jams. They used the cover with the naked girl.
15th March 2006 10:57 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
How is the deluxe edition different from the original? Which cover did they use?

HTM answered most of your questions there, but I'd also like to add that the sound quality on the deluxe edition is awesome.
15th March 2006 11:05 AM
nanatod "Despite the release of DVD, Baker rules out any chance of a Blind Faith reunion..."I just come out of retirement for short periods. I'm pretty much crippled with arthritis -- playing is a very painful experience for me."

I didn't know this, and now regret missing the Cream reunion.
15th March 2006 11:19 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"Despite the release of DVD, Baker rules out any chance of a Blind Faith reunion..."I just come out of retirement for short periods. I'm pretty much crippled with arthritis -- playing is a very painful experience for me."

I only got to see Baker when he played with Masters Of Reality, he was incredible then. This was back in '90.
15th March 2006 12:00 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nanatod wrote:

There's talk about more Cream dates, perhaps next year after Clapton's current world tour is over.

That Blind Faith cover creeps me out a little. That's Ginger Baker's daughter, who was about 13 at the time.
15th March 2006 12:28 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

There's talk about more Cream dates, perhaps next year after Clapton's current world tour is over.

That Blind Faith cover creeps me out a little. That's Ginger Baker's daughter, who was about 13 at the time.

I knew Baker was a bit older than Clapton and Bruce, but was he really old enough to have a 13 year old daughter in 1969??
15th March 2006 12:47 PM
nanatod
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

That's Ginger Baker's daughter...

FPM, it was not apparently Ginger Baker's daughter, but the sister of a model that the photographer had approached. [as per wikipedia and as per jerry osborne website].
15th March 2006 12:50 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nanatod wrote:

FPM, it was not apparently Ginger Baker's daughter, but the sister of a model that the photographer had approached. [as per wikipedia and as per jerry osborne website].

REALLY??? It even LOOKS like it could be Ginger Baker's daughter!

Thanks for setting me straight on that. It's still creepy.
20th March 2006 06:24 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I knew Baker was a bit older than Clapton and Bruce, but was he really old enough to have a 13 year old daughter in 1969??

Yes. I think he was born around 1938 or 1939. He must've been around 18 when she was conceived.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)