ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, January 14, 1998
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Little Richard Rambles..." (nsc) Return to archive
03-19-04 07:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Little Richard Rambles, Rhymes at SXSW

By Jonathan Cohen
AUSTIN, Texas (Billboard) - Music legend Little Richard put his larger than life personality on display for all to see Thursday during a keynote address at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas. Interviewer Dave Marsh could scarcely get a word in edgewise with the artist, who was scheduled to perform later at the Austin Music Hall.

Rambling from story to story and frequently speaking in rhyme, Richard described his experiences with other rock legends in their formative days. Of Jimi Hendrix (news), who played in Richard's band before striking out as a solo act, he said, "Jimi was a ladies man. If he saw a lady, he'd forget everything else. When he was with me, he didn't play that kind of guitar. He played Elmore James, Sonny Boy Williamson and the blues. My brother fired him without my permission."

He recalled turning down an opportunity to sign off on the Beatles' cover of "Good Golly Miss Molly," which the group wanted him to shop around to U.S. record labels. "I didn't bring the tape," he said. "Now, I wish I did because they offered me 50% of the royalties!"

On sharing the stage with rising star James Brown .."He came to Macon, with a group called the Flames. They weren't famous but they called themselves the Famous Flames. So I let them come onstage and they sang 'Please Please.' When got through begging for an hour, I had to wait an hour to get my mic back!"

The artist encouraged up-and-coming artists to devote themselves to their craft, and not be bothered with genre constraints. "Soul ain't nothing but an expression," he says. "You can have soul in classical music or blues or jazz. When you sing from the heart, it reaches the heart."

Now 71, Richard still tours regularly but admits he has no interest in recording new material. "I've had offers, but I think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it," he said. "New disc jockeys are going to play new artists. You don't need a record when you get to a certain stage of life. General Electric don't need to make a new light bulb. They're still the electric company. I'm Little Richard and I'm going to be here."

Little Richard replaced Antonio "L.A." Reid as the keynote speaker after the latter lost his job as president of Arista Records in January.

BEST VIEWED HIGH