ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, January 14, 1998
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Wilson at the Olympia 14/03 - Amazing (SSC) Return to archive
03-15-04 12:20 PM
gotdablouse Not much to add to all that's already been written on this tour - http://www.brianwilson.com/smile.html - here are some random thoughts:

1. I got lucky checking the Olympia website a couple of weeks ago (thanks to Rocks Off) and scored my best ever concert seat - dead center first row of the mezzanine! Sitting next to Jean-Michel Jarre - a wiz in his own right.

2. I had seen BW open for Paul Simon in Mountain View in the summer of 2001 so I wasn't too surprised to see him a bit "hindered", unlike many people in the audience, with Jean-Michel Jarre making repeated references to "Cuckoo's Nest" :-( The band appeared to be the same (are they all from the Wondermints?) but I hadn't been stricken by that, er...nice looking girl in 2001. Back in 2001 I had found them to be a bit "casual" in their dressing style (I think the "big man with the high pitched voice" wore sandals and shorts) and yesterday wasn't a huge improvement. Of course Brian wears jogging pants so they can't really be blamed!

3. As for the music - absolutely marvellous! Probably the best playing and singing I've ever witnessed, these guys are absolutely fantastic!. The best part of course was the Smile section. It's unique! Pop music at it's best - a 45 minute "A Day in the Life" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"! Maybe the Stones or McCartney should do that too to put something meaninfgul into their concerts again (saw both their last tours), play an entire album - Exile for the Stones and hum...Band on the Run for Macca.

4. I quite like that "City Blues" rocker apparently dating back to the 80s and slated for BW's new album. Could be a hit! Apparentely BW wrote a song for the Stones (or so he joked) called "Marsella". Certainly better than...hum...Love is Strong!
03-15-04 07:43 PM
mac_daddy I am glad you enjoyed it - I find the 2/24 performance magical, and I am not predisposed to hyperbole...

have you checked this thread..?
03-15-04 09:06 PM
doo doo doo Dude One of my favorite Smile stories was in 1966 when Brian Wilson attended the Stones session for "My Obsession". From his autobiography:

"One day Lou Adler invited me to attend a Rolling Stones recording session. There seemed to be a hell of a party in progress. Tables overflowed with booze, drugs, and food.
He (Mick Jagger) said they did get high and then pulled out a huge, fragrant joint from his shirt pocket.'You want a hit?' he asked. 'Sure,' I said, taking a puff. Girls were everywhere".

03-16-04 10:48 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
I am glad you enjoyed it - I find the 2/24 performance magical, and I am not predisposed to hyperbole...

have you checked this thread..?

Oopps, thanks!

I just got a hold of a 02/27 recording and it sounds like a soundboard to me! The 02/24 I have is not complete (missing the encore and a bit muddy). Have you heard that one?

BEST VIEWED HIGH