ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, January 14, 1998
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: England storm to Test win Return to archive
03-14-04 02:30 PM
stewed & Keefed England storm to Test win

First Test, Jamaica, day four:
West Indies 311 & 47 lost to England 339 and 20-0 by 10 wickets
Full scorecard

England won the first Test against West Indies by 10 wickets following a sensational seven-wicket haul by Steve Harmison in Jamaica.

The fast bowler's perfect line and length was too good for the West Indies batsmen as they capitulated to their lowest ever Test total of 47.

Harmison became the most successful bowler in Sabina Park history when he took 7-12 as he stunned the home crowd.

England wrapped up an unbelievable win before lunch to lead the series 1-0.

Michael Vaughan and Marcus Trescothick had an easy job of hitting the 20 runs needed for victory.

West Indies had started the day on eight without loss but they were still 20 runs behind England's first innings score.

Opener Chris Gayle was the first to go and the start of Harmison's haul when he was brilliantly caught by Graham Thorpe high above his head at third slip for nine.

Ramnaresh Sarwan became Harmison's next victim and completed a Test match pair.

He was rather unfortunate though as he was given lbw by Australian umpire Daryl Harper to a delivery which appeared to be passing over the stumps.

Let's hope Harmy's back holds up for the rest of the series

Shivnarine Chanderpaul came in next, promoted up the order to protect Lara's dislocated little finger.

But he lasted a mere seven balls before also falling without scoring. He played forward and an under-edge bounced under the bat, between his legs and onto the stumps to give Harmison his third wicket.

Out strode Lara but incredibly he also went for a duck, when Matthew Hoggard, who had played a supporting role until then, teased him into an attempted drive which was edged to Andrew Flintoff at second slip.

The Yorkshire seamer followed that success with a superb reaction catch off his own bowling to remove opener Devon Smith, scorer of a first innings century, for 12.

The West Indies were left reeling on 21-5, still seven runs behind England.

Ridley Jacobs played positively, hitting 15 off 21 balls, before Harmison pounced once again as Hussain ran from short leg to claim a gloved catch.

Two balls later Harmison claimed his fifth victim when Tino Best edged behind to wicket-keeper Chris Read.

Adam Sanford and Fidel Edwards were both caught by Marcus Trescothick - the first of seven slips posted - as Harmison wrapped up the tail.

There was huge celebrations among the England fans but stunned silence from the home crowd, who had come to the ground on Saturday expecting something rather different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Indies: B Lara (capt), C Gayle, Devon Smith, S Chanderpaul, R Hinds, R Sarwan, R Jacobs (wkt), A Sanford, T Best, C Collymore, F Edwards.

England: M Vaughan (capt), M Trescothick, M Butcher, N Hussain, G Thorpe, A Flintoff, C Read (wkt), A Giles, S Jones, M Hoggard, S Harmison.

Umpires: B Bowden (NZ) & D Harper (Aus).

Match referee: M Procter (SA)

03-14-04 03:03 PM
Hannalee Mick and Charlie will be dead chuffed .

I'm quite pleased myself.
03-14-04 03:34 PM
BillyBoll Yeah, Days been a bit strange for me sports wise. The scum lost (that's Man Utd to most of you), well when I say lost, they were stuffed; and then my beloved team (that's Liverpool) lost.

But then we anhiliated the West Indies!

Oh well. Calls for more drink to celebrate, commiserate and celebrate!

Sorry Ronnie!
03-14-04 05:19 PM
Gazza >Yeah, Days been a bit strange for me sports wise. ..
and then my beloved team (that's Liverpool) lost.

whats so strange about Liverpool losing? You should be used to that by now!
03-15-04 03:35 AM
BillyBoll
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>whats so strange about Liverpool losing? You should be used to that by now!

Bastard! The truth hurts!!

BEST VIEWED HIGH