ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, January 14, 1998
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Summer's closing in - time for Emotional Rescue! Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-12-04 09:41 PM
Steel Wheels Damn right! Whoo-Hoo! This album is perfect for the steamy nights, cold drinks, and hot women that abound in the summer.

This is their all time dancing record. I can twist the night away, taking only a slight break during Down In The Hole and All About You.

This is also a great driving record. The 4-on-the-floor drumbeat Charlie provides makes my foot heavy.

03-12-04 10:28 PM
Mr Jimmy "Hey, what am I doing standing here on the corner of
West 8th Street and the 6th Avenue and...
Keith. Watcha, watcha doing?
Oh, I think the time has come to get out, get out
Get up, get out, get into something new
Get up, get out, into something new
Ooh! And it's got me moving"

They ARE the world's most danceable band.

03-13-04 12:00 AM
TracyGene ER is the perfect summer album.
03-13-04 03:58 AM
egon
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
They ARE the world's most danceable band.

word to your grandmother!
03-13-04 05:12 AM
Jumacfly ER is a fucking great stones record.....a very specialsound, groovy tunes like Dance and Send it to me, let me go and Where the boyz go are pure rock n roll, well, i love this F+++ing album!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: indian girl is one of the funniest stones crap IMHo!

Indian Girl, where is your mama????
03-13-04 06:03 AM
beer hey hey, i aint lying. i love this album too!. emotional rescue is great. you can listen to sticky fingers and let it bleeed for ages. then ya can listen to this and realize that even the Stones worst albums, still are fuggin great!

excluding Dirty Work, of course...
03-13-04 06:26 AM
fmk438j

Can't believe She's So Cold hasn't been mentioned.

Probably because it's so obvious.

Super clip too. I may be wrong, but was that the last appearence of Mick's 'funny pants' also seen in Start Me Up?
03-13-04 08:42 AM
Some Guy Great album, I love Shes so cold! The first album te get me all those years ago.
03-13-04 10:17 AM
Jumacfly "Where the boys go" is one of my fav road trip song, this stupid riff drives me crazy, bubblegums vocals as well (a la "Plastic Bertrand") , great rythm section as usual, everything you need to have a Stones masterpiece

"Dance" is so groovy, this bass line is just so cooooool!! what about horns?? great tune to wake up

Anyway i ve just learned my band "Gecko" cd was played 120 times during the last month on a local radio, i m so happy

Get up Get ouuuutttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!
03-13-04 10:46 AM
Mr Jimmy When this album was released, I remember so many lovers of 'older' Stones' music just couldn't accept it. Each to his own... but not me. As Jumacfly said, "a very specialsound, groovy tunes..." and over twenty years later I still believe that Dance Pt. 1 is a great grooving symphony of sorts. I looked at the song credits and noticed that Max Romeo sang back-up vocals: The hoo-hoo-hoo part, I guessed. A few days later I went to the record store and sure enough found one of his albums with 'Bell The Cat' featuring a Mr Keith Richards, so I bought it.

And yes, 'Let Me Go' is a fantastic song... Charlie's hot! I saw them perform it 3 times on the '81 tour as the fast version which gave it a totally different feel. Slower or faster... I just love that song.
03-13-04 11:00 AM
Jumacfly Another very funny thought about "send it to me": it s a reggae "Neighbours" !!! i w always LOL when I hear it, that would be fun if they added those two tunes live (like they did with UMT and GOOMC on "love you live" ): beginning with the "neighbors" fast tempo and finish it as a reggae one....Keith if you read that think about it !!
Anyway , i m listening to the 81 show with muddy waters, it s raining , my chiba is pretty good, my wife is sleeping after...humm well , tonight my friend come home to party,what a great afternoon..
03-13-04 11:19 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Another very funny thought about "send it to me": it s a reggae "Neighbours" !!! i w always LOL when I hear it,...

When Tattoo You was released, a local radio station in Toronto did a show where they played every song and in between they included a Q & A with Mick and Keith that had been recorded separately. The local woman interviewer (can't remember her name) asked Mick, very politely, "Isn't 'Neighbours' very similar to 'Send It To Me?' , Mick hesitated, then kinda' sloughed it off and said that they were very different and didn't agree. She sang a couple of lines from each and Mick continued to say they were much different. They then cut to the same question asked of Keith, and without skipping a beat, he replied, "Oh yes. Mick's always writin' the same tune.' Gotta love thos guys!
03-13-04 01:14 PM
Zeeta Listening to it now drinkin tea, wishing it was hot outside and this was a Gin Sling!

FUCK ME!

Where the boys all go! Tune and a half! Dirty shit!

Friggin' love them chicks shouting "where the girls all go!"

And what the fuck is Chaz Watts doing on 2.18 secs - I'll tell you he is doning - pummeling the snare - that's what!!!!!! Like a machine gun, man!

The album's not the best but has a few exceptional highlights..
03-13-04 01:37 PM
Bloozehound "maybe i'll become a plaaayboy and hang around in gaaay bars....and moooove...to the west side of town"

lol

maybe not

but ER is the shiznat

That album has energy

She's So Cold was the first thing i thought of

03-13-04 02:11 PM
LadyJane Now I can't get "Let Me Go" out of my head. What a great song!!

Mick, Keith...if you're listening, I'd like to request "Let Me Go" be on the setlist of the next Tour.

Thank you!!!

LJ.
03-13-04 04:20 PM
Some Guy I will delve into at some point tonight I assure you.
03-13-04 04:49 PM
beer indian girl. the horns on it. quite possibly the worst shit i've heard. but the rest of the album makes up for it. "All about you" is a Keef classic!

"You're the first to get laid,
Always the last bitch to get paid"

03-13-04 10:09 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
"Hey, what am I doing standing here on the corner of
West 8th Street and the 6th Avenue and...
Keith. Watcha, watcha doing?

Keith's reply was masturbating......

People rip on Down in the Hole, but I think it's incredible, and of course Let me go......
03-13-04 10:21 PM
mac_daddy I've always dug this album, too...

what, if any, are the boot titles that contain outtakes and alternates from the Emotional Rescue sessions..?

any information, and/or suggestions, is greatly appreciated...

TIA
03-13-04 10:26 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>>They ARE the world's most danceable band.<<<

Sorry I must disagree on that one. They are fucking great to dance to for sure, but I've seen many knuckleheads at shows just sitting on their ass. The world's most danceable "Live" band has to go to The Grateful Dead. 70,000 people on their feet dancing for the entire show! Been to many shows of but, but in general many more people will be dancing at a Dead show. Not that any of this really fucking matters!

03-13-04 10:32 PM
Monkey Woman BTW, "Dance Pt.1" was Ronnie's first co-writing credit on a Stones song, AFAIK.
It took him about 5 years in the band. Patience rewarded finally!
03-14-04 08:00 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
BTW, "Dance Pt.1" was Ronnie's first co-writing credit on a Stones song, AFAIK.
It took him about 5 years in the band. Patience rewarded finally!

Yeah he only managed to get an "Inspired by" ! credit before that on Hey Negreta!!
03-14-04 08:09 AM
beer
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
>>>The world's most danceable "Live" band has to go to The Grateful Dead. 70,000 people on their feet dancing for the entire show! Been to many shows of but, but in general many more people will be dancing at a Dead show.

i guess if you call twirling around in circles "dancing".
03-14-04 08:34 AM
Steel Wheels Happy Mother, you couldn't be more off target. If you're in a dance hall, which would you rather hear - Truckin or any one of the groove filled tunes on Emotional Rescue?

The Dead "dance" but nothing you can fuck to. They didn't have Mr. Watts laying down the law, and certainly no Mick or Keef.

The Dead are history, and the Stones have ALWAYS been the most danceable rock band.

Get it together!
03-14-04 11:10 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
I've always dug this album, too...
what, if any, are the boot titles that contain outtakes and alternates from the Emotional Rescue sessions..?
any information, and/or suggestions, is greatly appreciated...
TIA

I did some digging and found some info:

Victory Records CD-079 Emotional Rescue Demos
Contains Emotional Rescue outtakes in exc. stereo
1 Summer Romance I 0'40
2 Summer Romance II 5'12
3 Dance I 6'21
4 Dance II 7'05
5 Dance III 7'25
6 We Had It All I 2'43
7 We Had It All II 2'43
8 Little T & A 3'37 (instr.)
9 Where The Boys Go 4'53
10 Jah Is Not Dead 10'09
11 Summer Romance III 5'13
12 Summer Romance IV 4'28
13 Summer Romance V 5'17

The Emotional Rescue Sessions STE-025
78/79 Emotional Rescue Demos/OuttakesÊ
1 Summer Romance I
2 Dance I
3 We Had It All I
4 Little T & A (Instrumental Version)
5 Where The Boys All Go
6 Dance II
7 Summer Romance II
8 Summer Romance III
9 Jah Is Not Dead (with Max Romeo)
10 Dance III
11 We Had It All II
12 Summer Romance IV
13 Too Tough
14 I Love Ladies

I don't have these and I've never heard them.
03-14-04 11:13 AM
mac_daddy >>> I did some digging and found some info...

thank you very much for the info, Mr Jimmy...

I would sure like to hear these - they look fantastic!

would anybody like to trade me for them..?

thanks - for the assistance, and for the consideration.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
03-14-04 01:12 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>>Happy Mother, you couldn't be more off target. If you're in a dance hall, which would you rather hear - Truckin or any one of the groove filled tunes on Emotional Rescue?<<<

I’ll take both, because to me they are equal, as both of these bands are my favorites. I’ve seen The Stones 27 times and The Dead 164, so it both works for me.

>>>The Dead "dance" but nothing you can fuck to.<<<

Wrong, The Dead have great grooves and Ballads to fuck to.

>>>They didn't have Mr. Watts lying down the law, and certainly no Mick or Keef.<<<

That’s right there is only one Charlie, but The Dead have the rhythm devils and can lay down some serious tribal drum grooves. No Mick for sure, but in my opinion no one has ever been more of an emotional guitarist then Jerry.

>>The Dead are history, and the Stones have ALWAYS been the most danceable rock band.<<<

Sorry, to inform you but The Grateful Dead is history, not The Dead. The Dead with new members Jimmy herring and Warren Haynes constantly sell out venues everywhere and still make great music. The Dead also allow you to take the music home with ya, which The Stones don’t. That’s a big plus in the generosity category.
So, yes they maybe the most danceable band to YOU, but both move me equally.
It’s apples and oranges man.

Get it together!
Believe me dude, I am. You’re entitled to your opinion, but a little one sided since you obliviously don’t GET The Dead.

03-14-04 11:44 PM
Steel Wheels The Dead with Jerry = snoozefest. They can have Jimmy Buffett, Warren whatever, So and So, but it's over Johnny.

It's so over that it's due to be over again soon.

Another thing that is over but will again be over is their name issue. The Grateful Dead is The Dead.

Yawn to the whole thing.

Bring me Emotional Rescue!
03-14-04 11:46 PM
Steel Wheels Make that the Dead without Jerry = snoozefest.

I'm actually a huge fan of American Beauty.
03-15-04 01:38 AM
Zack Happy, 164 Dead shows, that's impressive! How many post-Jerry?

"Dead with Jerry = snoozefest." Total bullshit!

No reason you can't love the Stones and the Dead too.

Also no reason you can't dance to the Stones, ER in particulary, but in terms of dance vibes in concert, Happy is 100 percent correct. At least during the original band days; although I've never seen the Jerry-less Dead because I no longer live in the States, I'm sure it's largely the same.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH