ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden, January 14, 1998
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards: Life As A Rolling Stone Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-07-04 12:36 PM
telecaster http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385175922/102-2674849-5366536?v=glance

I am the only person who has ever read this great book on Keith? This has to be by far the best book on Keith. He let the author live with his family for awhile and it was written during his Toronto drug bust

Discuss

01-07-04 02:39 PM
SHINE A LIGHT NO, i've had it for many years, it's falling apart. charone was also living with keith and anita at redlands before their trip to toronto.

very well worth the money......i think it's available on amazon.co.uk. enjoy!!!!!
[Edited by SHINE A LIGHT]
01-07-04 02:43 PM
gypsy I have it too. Great book. Got it on ebay or half.com a couple years ago. Well worth the money!
01-07-04 03:08 PM
glencar I've mentioned it several times. I've had it for years. Not sure where it is now but if I find it I'm sending it to that guy from Denmark!
01-07-04 05:18 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE IT AND HAVE READ IT MANY TIMES-GREAT INSIGHT TO KEITHS LIFE IN HIS HEROIN DAYS.
01-08-04 09:34 AM
SHINE A LIGHT yes, there is a great deal in charone's book about his heroin use, but i think it's unfair to refer to the book as a great book about keith's heroin days. (that was a paraphrase).
01-08-04 02:04 PM
macawber read that years ago,a great inside look at the toronto drug bust era.you could see it was getting the best of keith and anita when the whole band was in canada waiting for him and he couldn't get it together to leave redlands.the other stones kept sending telegrams-"where are you??".
when keith said "thank god for the mounties" he wasn't kidding.
01-08-04 02:12 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Oh yeah, that book!
I had my copy with the autograph of mister Keef...
eehhhhhh.....
D:
01-09-04 08:20 AM
FotiniD Searching in Amazon, I found this. Maybe old news, but take a look:

--------------------------

Synopsis
The Rolling Stones. A band who spawned a thousand imitators. They took "rock 'n' roll" and shaped it in their own image and to heights that no other act of this or any other age has ever been able to climb to. There are many myths and truths, but nobody got as close to the Stones during their unprecedented rise as Tony Sanchez. In this volume he reveals the truth about: the band's first tentative experiments with drugs; how Keith Richards attacked one of his suppliers with a sword; how he later had a change of blood to come off heroin; and how they lived one step ahead of the law despite their massive and conspicuous intake of drugs.
------------------------

Now, am I the only one who thinks this is pathetic? IS THIS A BOOK TITLE? So what are your credentials Mr. Sanchez? Oh, I was Keith's drug dealer!!! For crying out loud!

Man, I just hate people who hang like vultures over others and make a parasitical living. Jeez, already.
01-09-04 08:42 AM
Monkey Woman Pathetic indeed!
The Keith book I like the most is his bio by Stanley Booth, the author of The True Adventure Of The Rolling Stones (also released as Dancing With The Devil), the hard-to-forget account of their 1969 tour. And a friend of Keith too!
More about his book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312141165/qid=1073655561/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-2523133-6504009?v=glance&s=books
01-09-04 03:31 PM
macawber tony sanchez didn't name his book"i was keith richards drug dealer"someone probably released it again with a new name to cash in.
the book was originally called "up and down with the rolling stones" and its a fantastic inside look at the early 70's stones by "spanish tony",keiths right hand man who lived with him for a number of years.
keith wasn't too happy when the book first came out but admitted-"yeah,its all true.good thing he didn't say anymore or people would go to jail.thats enough tony,no further." i recommend the book but that new title sucks big time.
01-09-04 08:36 PM
SHINE A LIGHT in my opinion, the best keith books so far are: stanley booth's "standing in the shadows", "exile" from genesis publications,and the victor bockris biography. and for sure, barbara charone's book......it's a beautiful account of the toronto situation.
sandford is just a re-hash thing, and i'm waiting for the kris needs book to arrive, "before they make me run".
thank god for amazon!!!!!!!
01-10-04 07:00 AM
Honky Tonk Man Has anyone seen or read the new Keith biography by Christoper Sandford? It's called Keith Richards, Satisfaction and it is one of the best reads i have had in ages. It tells his story really well and i don't think it gets to lost in his myth.

Highly reccomended.

Alex
01-12-04 10:24 AM
glencar A few people here have said they didn't like it. It was basically a cut & paste job, if I recall the posts correctly. I have his previous Jagger bio but haven't bothered reading it.
01-12-04 10:32 AM
Monkey Woman The Jagger bio by Sandford is much better, IMHO. An intelligent and well research effort, it paints a realistic portrait of Mick. The book is both entertaining and informative, not a gossip collection but not a hagiography either. Worth a read!
01-12-04 10:36 AM
glencar I'll get around to it. Years ago, teher weren't that many books on teh band. Now, they're putting stuff out every few weeks!
01-13-04 10:16 AM
SHINE A LIGHT stanley booth is still a friend of keith. booth had two book reviews in this past saturday's "globe and mail", he's quite a harsh reviewer!!! his book "rythmn oil" is also very good!
01-18-04 02:49 PM
mac_daddy just received mine - the pics are great...

I read the first few "early years" chapters - the family insights are interesting... and of course skimmed the area at the end regarding the Toronto debacle...

the book seems to be well-written, and I look forward to moving through it in the next few days (but my Pats are on TV now, so the book is closed for now)...
____

I think that if you havent done so already, you all should read Spanish Tony's book - it will take you an afternoon, and it is a great read...
01-18-04 04:54 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i finished the sandford book "satisfaction" a while ago and to tell the truth, i found it to be a rehash thing. there was only ONE thing there which i did not already know. and stanley booth said the same thing.....there is ONE thing he didn't know. now, i won't give the ONE THING away, but it deals with some little "chore" bill wyman did. as i said, even stanley booth did not know about this thing.

now, i'm waiting for "before they make me run" by kris needs. i've ordered it from amazon.co.uk. they say it will be sent soon.
01-18-04 04:58 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oops i forgot something.......the spanish tony book is just really great trashy reading......you can get through it quickly.
01-19-04 03:01 AM
Diedre There are no really good bios of the Stones. I actually prefer Bill Wyman's two books, because he was actually there. His are mostly about the music and the business of the Stones, and that's probably the best emphasis you can put on a musical biography. All the personal stuff is pretty murky and most of the books don't really agree with each other.

I don't think there are any bios of Keith that "get" it. Just by reading several books as well as the lyrics of Keith's songs, anyone can get a better angle on the guy than any of the authors of these books. They all miss one of the biggest aspects of Keith's life. Either they're too clueless, or maybe they fear lawsuits. It probably will be revealed when he dies, though (hopefully not for a very, very long time).
01-24-04 07:32 PM
mac_daddy the cherone book is not as fast reading for me as Spanish Tony's book...

stanley booth and the STP (1972) tour book are next on the list...

also just rec'd a good (not mint) copy of the Southern/Leibowitz book. man, some of those pics are great (including the Mick Bday pick with that nappy looking chocolate cake). Those billy/mick pics are a bit much, however, and while Terry Southern might have been a solid screenwriter, I think his prose sucks (he tries to be too campy like those dillholes over at pitchfork media)...

01-27-04 06:37 PM
scratched
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
it deals with some little "chore" bill wyman did.

Anyone know what Bill's 'chore' was? I've gotta know!!!!
02-03-04 04:55 PM
mac_daddy anyone..?
02-03-04 09:12 PM
glencar Shiny Light won't be able to answer. She been banned. I'm not sure of the answer myself, unfortunately.
02-04-04 02:14 PM
mac_daddy well hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the subject...

____

Well, I have finally gotten down to business with Barbara Charone's book. It was just the formatve years stuff that dragged on - once they started getting quotes from Stu, the thing takes off... Boy, Stu doesn't have alot of complimentary things to say about Brian...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-05-04 05:19 AM
Keefness Another great book hasn't been mentioned:
On The Road With The Rolling Stones: 20 Years Of Lipstick,Handcuffs And Chemicals By Chet Flippo

It's the dope on the '77 bust, all centered around the El Mocambo gig & keith's trial. Chet was given (mostly) inside
access to Jagger, Peter Rudge & Wasserman. Flippo was an investigative journalist so he did plenty 'o sniffin around on his own. A great book if you can find it.
02-05-04 06:27 PM
glencar That is indeed a great one, keefness! It's a thin trade paperback but well worth a read. I bought it years ago & it's chockful of tidbits.
02-11-04 10:46 AM
mac_daddy I'll look out for that title - thanks, keefness.
02-14-04 07:11 PM
mac_daddy now I know where the term "unholy trinity" comes from, and whom it refers to...
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH