ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Matt, click here for more
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does everyone love "Dear Doctor"? Return to archive
03-18-03 05:00 PM
morocco I'm having trouble with the falsetto part. Is Jagger imitating a woman? Is this a good song or just a throwaway?
03-18-03 05:06 PM
100 Years Ago as with most Stones country tunes, the music is an authentic take on the genre (great mandolin work) but Mick plays it off tongue in cheek with a gag vocal, very funny song
03-18-03 05:24 PM
Jair Motta Yep, love the lyrics too, Mick sounds a genuine north american. BTW, Stones sounds more american than any other band, including the real americans...Don�t ask me if this is good or bad, to me they are the best
03-18-03 07:24 PM
Turner i dig that song a lot a real classic
03-18-03 08:32 PM
steel driving hammer It's today that's the day of the plunGe
Oh the gal I'm to marry is a bOOOw-legged sow
I've been soakin' up drAnk like a sponGe!

Great song. Should be done live on the B Stage, mistakes and all...
03-18-03 08:36 PM
throbby I love that tune. I had it played at my brother's wedding, much to the displeasure of his bride.
03-18-03 09:01 PM
nankerphelge Always like this one, but being "down in Virginia" myself now, it holds a special place!

A couple of years ago Virginia was looking for a new state jingle -- you know "I love NY" type thing.

I suggested Sweet Virginia
The "Come on, come on down" part woulda been great.

The "Got to scrape the shit right off your shoes" though was more appropriate!!

This state has some strange genetic experiments goin on in the hills!!!

03-18-03 09:47 PM
BILL PERKS IT'S PROBABLY THE ONE SONG I WISH THEY WOULD PLAY LIVE MORE THAN ANY OTHER
WOULD LOVE TO SEE AN ACOUSTIC SET ALA 69
1-DEAR DOCTOR
2-TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE
3-PLAY WITH FIRE
OR ANY OTHER SCENARIO WITH CHUCK NOWHERE IN SIGHT
03-19-03 12:50 AM
Martini I love �Dear Doctor� and �Far Away Eyes� as well. The Stones have been masterful at pushing country music toward parody but never quite getting there. There is always an ironic sense of �are they being serious� which is complicated by the fact that they play the songs tremendously well. There is an air of authenticity in their country songs that is not undermined, but undercut to the very slightest degree. I�ve never heard anyone else really accomplish this, actually.

I would love for the Stones to record a country album. It would be bizarre but actually pretty good, I think. Maybe they could play the Grand Ole Opry.

Or maybe I just need to quit drinking this evening and go to bed.

03-19-03 04:14 AM
woodywoodpecker great little number, and it is very funny Mick playin the practical joker LOL
03-19-03 04:53 AM
morocco I think what makes the Stones' country songs so special is their juxtapostition with harder rock. For example, Dead Flowers with Brown Sugar.

What great albums. What a great band.
03-19-03 07:44 AM
sirfito I love Dear Doctor too.
Best,
Fito
03-19-03 10:28 AM
T&A Love DD - and a song that has come tantalizingly close to making the cut this tour. I know they rehearsed it at the Orpheum the day before the show along with Parachute Woman, which wound up in the selist as a (to date) one-off performance.
03-19-03 12:14 PM
Monkey Woman Sure I like it! The tongue-in-cheek vocals coupled with the powerful countryish sound and weird, elaborated lyrics, make for a cooler than cool Stones tune. As Ian from Timeisonourside.com said in one of his essays:

"the irony [in the attitude of the Stones toward American music] does not come off as a disparagement, but more as an additional, enriching dimension of the music. So that the Stones' music can be both fully-engaging, reaching the ecstatic emotional heights of the best blues and R&B, while also engaging a certain distance in the mind. This duality, I feel, has continued to characterize the Stones' music until the present."

http://www.timeisonourside.com/ecstasy.html
03-20-03 04:24 AM
morocco Thanks for that rich quote, monkeywoman. Dear Doctor is playing on my computer right now. I love the classic late 60's Mick/Keith harmonies.

The country guitar sounds lush on this song, too.
03-20-03 06:40 AM
JaggaRichards Best line in DD?
"I been soaking up drink like a sponge"

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST