ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Matt, click here for more
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will Exile and Sticky Fingers ever be remastered? Return to archive
03-16-03 06:54 PM
morocco The new Stones Abkco remasters sound great. Will the later albums ever be remastered?
03-16-03 07:10 PM
full moon They already are.. Virgin did them around 1994-95............From Sticky Fingers thru Flashpoint......
03-16-03 11:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Alternatively, I've found Mickboy's remasters (the few I've been able to get my hands on) to be great for the most part, although I think his version of Aftermath was a little too much "check out this new type of sound - it's called STEREO!" as opposed to his version of Exile, which is fantastic. You'll find plenty of people willing to trade or B&P for 'em.

-tSYX --- Undercover of the night...
03-17-03 05:00 AM
morocco I didn't know the latter albums had been remastered. How is the sound quality on these albums? Do they sound as good as the ABCKO remasters?
03-17-03 09:41 AM
dkmonroe I bought the Virgin remaster replica CD with the zipper and everything a couple of years back. I think it sounds fantastic. I've compared "Brown Sugar" from the Virgin remaster and the ABKCO remaster from the Singles Collection, and the Virgin one is better.

Of course, I don't have an SACD player to REALLY test the ABKCO version, so take that into account when considering this opinion.
03-17-03 04:03 PM
morocco Thanks for the help and replies. I had no idea that Virgin remastered the latter albums. I'm a firm believer in buying remastered versions; I can really notice the difference.
03-18-03 04:50 AM
morocco With all due respect to those who replied to this post, I believe a mistake has been made. The Stones' Virgin albums were re-released in 1994, but they were not remastered for sound improvement.

If I am wrong, please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance for your help.
03-18-03 08:42 AM
full moon They were remastered. It says so on the booklets and on the back of the jewel cases.." Digitally Remastered by Bob Ludwig using UV22 Super CD Encoding" ........
03-18-03 10:17 AM
Lazy Bones They were remastered. I have Tattoo You and Exile. I think both sound great!
03-18-03 10:54 AM
dkmonroe The remasters weren't 1994, they were later, about 1998 I think. When the "album replica" versions of Sticky, Exile, and Some Girls came out. After the replicas were discontinued, the remastered versions became the regular issues in standard jewel cases. If you go to any music store currently and buy a shrink-wrapped copy of Sticky, Exile, Some Girls, or Tattoo You, it's the remastered version. I don't know about Goats Head Soup, B&B, or Emotional Rescue, but my guess is they're remastered too.
[Edited by dkmonroe]
03-18-03 11:44 AM
sandrew Nope, the remaster were indeed in '94. I remember the whole package coinciding with the Voodoo Lounge tour...
03-18-03 04:05 PM
morocco Again, thanks for the help, everyone. I am glad that the Virgin Stones albums sound good; believe it or not I do not have Sticky Fingers or Exile yet. So I guess all the albums rereleased in 1994 have been remastered? Good.
03-18-03 06:24 PM
tumblingdice They remastered every album from Sticky Fingers Up to Steel Wheels. It was in 1994 and the sound is indeed better. Nice album replica packaging but not that good to keep in a CD case as they don't fit as well! But as stated above they are now in regular jewel cases. At the time the only albums not done was the live ones and comps like Sucking in the 70's but thankfully a few years back the did put out the Live albums as well. Took Virgin long enough to do it though!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST