ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Matt, click here for more
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rich Robinson is KEEF! Return to archive
03-07-03 03:14 PM
Saint Sway only better!

Rich Robinson, the young riffster from the Black Crowes has a new band called "HOOKAH BROWN". They rock!

check out their site for info and downloads:
www.hookahbrown.com

I caught a secret show they did and it blew me away. If your a Stones fan looking for some new Keef-ish sounding guitar rock � then Hookah Browns for you

they're live shows are fun. Doing some cool covers like the Faces "Bad-n-Ruin". Also doing Neil Youngs "Lookout Joe" and some other tasty treats
03-07-03 03:37 PM
steel driving hammer Just heard it.

Sounds alot more like Jimmy Page than Keith!

Matter o' fact, it doesn't sound anything like Keith.

Acid grunge shit, ain't my cup of tea anyway.
03-07-03 03:39 PM
J.J.Flash Hey Saint, how are you buddy? About the Crowes, did you hear his version of HTW?
03-07-03 04:14 PM
Saint Sway Hammer,
Black Cloud does have a Zep vibe. Rich has been pulling out the Zep a lot since his the Crowes toured w/Page. And Hookah Brown is more on the Zep tip than Stones. The songs are very riff heavy. Rich is still playing mostly Fender Strats in open G and open tunings, so the Keef sound still permeates

Definately not acid rock.
70s hard rock yes. Its vintage Humble Pie - Free - Zep - Crazy Horse - sounding

and regardless of whatever influences you hear, its certainly a breath of fresh air in an otherwise ho-hum state of modern rock

JJFlash, I've heard the Crowes cover Honkeytonk about 10 or so years ago. But havnt heard Hookah Brown do it

I have heard the Crowes do some AMAZING Stones covers. Better, in fact, than the Stones play them. CYHMK!!! Silver Train!!! Torn & Frayed! Happy! Sway!
[Edited by Saint Sway]
03-07-03 04:14 PM
doo doo doo Dude I like the Crowes live version of Silver Train.
03-07-03 06:12 PM
Saint Sway the mere fact that they chose to cover "Silver Train" helps to explain exactly how frickin cool The Black Crowes are

and that they rocked it is just the icing on the cake
03-07-03 06:35 PM
full moon Saint Sway, I love The Crowes also.. But, let's not compare Rich with Keef.. They have their own style and Rich has alot of years to go to be in Keefs league...
03-07-03 09:19 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 Rich Robinson is a combination of Keith Richards, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood.
03-07-03 09:55 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Stonesmillenium2001 wrote:
Rich Robinson is a combination of Keith Richards, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood.

I really hate to disagree but he's more like Jimmy Page.

He has NOTHING on Keith, Taylor or Woody.

Nothing. They never did or will do, acid rock like Jimmy did.
03-07-03 10:11 PM
woodywoodpecker As SDH commented, I also dont like em! Rip off merchants is about all I will give them credit for.
03-07-03 10:16 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
As SDH commented, I also dont like em! Rip off merchants is about all I will give them credit for.

So true! And Rip Offs for who? Not the Stones cause they don't even come close.

At least the Crowes came sort of close, but no Cigar...

Well the Crowes did not come close actually , but I give them a Hats Off for trying.
03-07-03 11:44 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
JJFlash, I've heard the Crowes cover Honkeytonk about 10 or so years ago. But havnt heard Hookah Brown do it
I have heard the Crowes do some AMAZING Stones covers. Better, in fact, than the Stones play them. CYHMK!!! Silver Train!!! Torn & Frayed! Happy! Sway!

I know Saint, the cover was by Black Crowes........
About the another covers, man, you said CYHMK, ohhhhhhhh God, where can I find this precious song????? Kazaa, WinMX could works?!?
Oh yeah, and thanks your reply...... take care brother!
Keep Rockin'! See ya!
03-10-03 04:56 PM
Saint Sway JJ Flash, PM me with your addy and I'll get you a copy of the Crowes smokin CYHMK

and to all the naysayers, yes the Crowes will never be the Stones. But they still ROCK! And I'll take ANY of their records over anything the Stones have done during the same years
03-11-03 01:11 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Hhmm...for me there was only a real clone of Keith and his name is
J O H N N Y T H U N D E R S

God bless him
03-11-03 05:49 PM
Saint Sway Rich's Hookah Brown band is playing tonite at STICKY FINGERS in Arkansas

Johnny Thunders had the junkie bit nailed. But musically Rich Robinson is the closest I've heard. He's got dozens of vintage Keef sounding songs under his belt.... Jealous Again, Remedy, Sister Luck, By Your Side, Sting Me...
03-12-03 02:20 AM
CousinCocaine Everybody that has roots in Stones/Faces (maybe evan a bit Zep) is just fine to me !!
And The Crowes could rock it for sure!
Unfortunately never heard their Stones covers. I'm sure they nailed CYHMK. The Stones live intro to that great song just doesn't do it for me !
CC
03-12-03 04:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
CousinCocaine wrote:
The Stones live intro to that great song just doesn't do it for me !

I feel ya CC. Theres something very weak about the way Keiths been hitting the intro. Sounds like Stones light.

However Rich nails it with all the Keef Riff Hard raunch of the original
03-12-03 07:44 PM
Mathijs The problem is, the moment you pick up a Tele, you will sound like Keith a bit. The moment you pick up a Strat, you'll sound like Jimi or Stevie Ray. The moment you pick up a Les Paul you will sound like Page or Slash. The moment you play a minor 7 chord you will sound like the Beatles.

Rich Robinson is just like me (except he he has talent): a child of the 70's. He sounds a bit like Keith, Ronnie, Taylor, Page, Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, Tom Petty, Marc Bolan.....

The good thing is: he playes R&R guitar, an instrument as ancient as it gets these days.

Mathijs
03-13-03 04:00 PM
woodywoodpecker Mathijs wrote:

Rich Robinson is just like me (except he he has talent): a child of the 70's. He sounds a bit like Keith, Ronnie, Taylor, Page, Mick Ronson, Steve Jones, Tom Petty, Marc Bolan.....

LOL Mathijs, how can you put Robinson in same class as,
Page,Taylor,Bolan,Ronnie,Keith and especially Mick Ronson?

id put him in the class with -Slash,Red Simmons,Steve Perry
(THE WANNA BE CLUB OF GUITAR PLAYERS)That need so much distortion to even sound grungy! Gee's even Izzy Sradlin sounds more Stonesy than Robinson. Id give these guys more credit if they played another 50 years longer than the likes of Ronson etc thats how much playing they'd need to even come close to the axe masters.
03-14-03 04:30 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
Id give these guys more credit if they played another 50 years longer than the likes of Ronson etc thats how much playing they'd need to even come close to the axe masters.

so Rich Robinson has to play for ANOTHER 50 YEARS!! to gain your respect?????

gimme a break

and to say that he needs distortion to sound grungy is ignorant. Whatever. The guy can play. Listen to the records he's put out along side the stuff the Stones have put out during the same period and tell me who sounds "grungier".... Rock And A Hard Place or Twice As Hard?? Anybody Seen My Baby or Sting Me?? Mixed Emotions or Jealous Again???? Sparks Will Fly or Sometimes Salvation?? Dont Stop or Midnite From The Inside Out???

Whatever techniques Rich is using is working just fine. Frankly, I wish Keef would use some of em now and again

03-14-03 08:50 PM
Honky Tonker I think WoodyWoodpecker meant Joe Perry, not Steve Perry. As Mathijs says, R'N'R guitar as we know it is dying out as surely as Robert Johnson's blues. Great players out there live, but on the radio, it's no way!
03-14-03 11:27 PM
woodywoodpecker [quote]Saint Sway wrote:

so Rich Robinson has to play for ANOTHER 50 YEARS!! to gain your respect?????

gimme a break

and to say that he needs distortion to sound grungy is ignorant. Whatever. The guy can play. Listen to the records he's put out along side the stuff the Stones have put out during the same period and tell me who sounds "grungier".... Rock And A Hard Place or Twice As Hard?? Anybody Seen My Baby or Sting Me?? Mixed Emotions or Jealous Again???? Sparks Will Fly or Sometimes Salvation?? Dont Stop or Midnite From The Inside Out???

Whatever techniques Rich is using is working just fine. Frankly, I wish Keef would use some of em now and again

Saint, you are of course entitled to your opinions and likes & dislikes in music. But Remedy & sting me are piles of shit if you ask me! So is most stuff they did after there fisrt lp (which of course is their best cos they rehearsed it for probably 6 years before recording it.
As for there better songs such as-Jealous again & twice as hard(GIMMIE ME A BREAK, LETS RIP OFF THE FACES SHALL WE)
I'am not saying all their stuff is terrible but nothin about them is original.

Without the Faces & Stones they would most likley be a Folk Band.

Well why dont we let the crowes open for the stones then?
The Stones would obliterate them like they did guns n roses.
Ther guitar player is no comparison. Either is their music!
Well Ive played for 18 years so I dont think Im to ignorant.
03-17-03 02:12 PM
Saint Sway fuck being original!

Bjork is original. You couldnt pay me to listen to that shit.

I got no prob if someone wants to rip the Stones or Faces. Especially if the songs kick ass. If we had more bands doing that then the music scene would a lot more tolerable these days

and remember, anytime you knock a band for ripping off those who came before them, remember that the Stones started ripping blues musicians off 40 years ago too
03-17-03 02:37 PM
J.J.Flash Hey Saint, how are you? I've sent a PM for you. Check it!
Take care brother!
Cheers!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST