ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why have been the Stones so much better from 69-81 in comparison to today? Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th March 2006 03:44 PM
Chris74
quote:
east_river_trucker wrote:

I don't think the musical scene today is any better or worse then it was in the Stone's hey day. It is different, that's all. Technology has changed. Not only have live electric quitars been done and done and done and done again and than done into the dirt, but they can be done with a computer program a qazillion ways at the touch of an on screen menu without setting up a Marshal stack or any other antique electronic wizardry.

But more importantly, there is no longer a common cultural language. It is now impossible for any one musical act to dominate the pop scene the way the Stones and Beatles did. That era came to an end in the mid 90s with U2 and GnR. They were the last bands to even come close to speaking for the entire youth culture. By the late 90's rock clubs with live bands (the seeding ground of rocknroll) where all but empty. I know because I was in them. No body cared anymore. Live rock and roll is over. Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Quality in art is very much subjective. To say that the Stone's music is of higher quality than M&M's cannot be proven. Sinatra's generation could make a very good case that the Rolling Stones lacked the quality of Sinatra's big bands. And when MnMs and Snoop Doggs fans are in their 40s they will says remember when rap was raw and powerful and they'll say todays artists aren't worth a dam.

Good post, but I think there's a decent quality difference. A Snoop Dogg probably never has put much effort in his "music" neither did a Robbie Williams.
Who of those "musicians" for example has learned to play an instrument over years like Keef has?
The only effort in Rap music today is grunting into the microphone and saying obscene things or showing black girls with big tits and rappers throwing around with money in rap videos and presenting big muscles and tattoos. I mean when it has become a "quality symbol" for rappers to have had a criminal history, what has it to do with music?

I don't think that people will remember Rap 30 years in the future as the remember the Stones today.
17th March 2006 04:14 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
to the music question, the problem is that most kids my age (17) don't go searching for good music, they justy listen to whatever MTV and hit radio stations play. Popular music has become a trend, like fashion. If you look for it, there is a lot of good new music like the black keys, silvertide, American minor, the redwalls...

To the stones question, I think they still play with awesome energy, but I think they might be getting bored of their songs, since they're playing them 3 times a week. Another good reason to change the setlists up a bit. It's like comparing the arena show of four flicks to the theater show. They have more fun playing at the theatre because they dug a little deeper into their song collection.
[Edited by mrhipfl]

American Minor fucking rocks man!

I'm 16, and i agree.
17th March 2006 05:02 PM
tumbling dice
After 81-82,the stones lost their youth forever.I love 89 onwards,itīs a good period but the stones were always dirty and rebels on stage,Keith and Ronnie still got a little of these but they are older and Time waits for no one...
17th March 2006 09:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Chris74 wrote:

Good post, but I think there's a decent quality difference. A Snoop Dogg probably never has put much effort in his "music" neither did a Robbie Williams.
Who of those "musicians" for example has learned to play an instrument over years like Keef has?
The only effort in Rap music today is grunting into the microphone and saying obscene things or showing black girls with big tits and rappers throwing around with money in rap videos and presenting big muscles and tattoos. I mean when it has become a "quality symbol" for rappers to have had a criminal history, what has it to do with music?

I don't think that people will remember Rap 30 years in the future as the remember the Stones today.

Good post. Rap/hip hop sucks monkey ass. What a terrible bad music for god sake...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)