ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones, U2 Make Big Bucks on Tees (Rolling Stone Article) Return to archive
16th March 2006 01:34 PM
justinkurian Stones, U2 Make Big Bucks on Tees

With CD sales sinking, stars can still make $150,000 a night on merchandise In the past two years, Lee Tepper, CEO of merchandise company MerchDirect, has noticed his rock-star clients paying much closer attention to their T-shirt designs. "They see that our royalty checks are more than they get for their records," he says.

As CD sales continue to decline, music merchandise is becoming an increasingly essential piece of artists' revenues: Arena headliners like Tom Petty and Motley Crue get multimillion-dollar advances for signing deals with companies to manufacture their items. Concert tees (black ones, in particular) remain the best-selling product, followed by hats and tour programs. "What's changed is there are fifteen different kinds of shirts now," says Dell Furano, CEO of leading merch company Signatures Network.

With shirts selling for thirty-five dollars or more (the Stones sell A Bigger Bang golf shirts for fifty dollars), top bands earn about ten dollars per head from merchandise sales, which can add up to a gross take of as much as $150,000 a night for U2 or the Stones. Artists have recently begun using their Web sites to sell bulkier and more expensive merch that would be impractical to take on the road; Jimmy Buffett offers dozens of items, from $20 beach towels to $250 parrot statues. But that approach doesn't work for everyone: "It helps if it's the kind of band where you feel like you're part of a club," says Rod Stewart's manager, Arnold Stiefel. "We haven't done that: No Rod Stewart cologne."
16th March 2006 01:37 PM
Break The Spell I guess thats why you see tees going for 50-60 bucks at shows when they used to be 15-25 tops just five years ago!!
16th March 2006 01:39 PM
jb And yet, imo, with prices very high(which I don't mind), the selection this tour bites!!!
16th March 2006 01:47 PM
pdog tee shirt sales have always been the bread and butter for touring bands.
16th March 2006 01:49 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
tee shirt sales have always been the bread and butter for touring bands.

Booze is the bread and butter for THE QWEST CENTER

|
|
|
V

16th March 2006 02:28 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Booze is the bread and butter for THE QWEST CENTER

|
|
|
V

Living in Omaha causes Alcoholism? Word?
16th March 2006 02:35 PM
gimmekeef I agree with jb's assesment...I've looked at the Stones selection and there is nothing I would wear..if they gave it to me..much less drop $50 for it....
16th March 2006 02:48 PM
Break The Spell Some of the best ones I've seen are the vintage ones they still sell. Who the hell is designing their new shirts??
16th March 2006 02:58 PM
gimmekeef Oscar De La-asshole?
16th March 2006 03:01 PM
pdog I got my wife the NYC tee's from January, she wears them when she works out. I think she only wears it to make me feel better about having paid $45. for it...
16th March 2006 10:05 PM
Soldatti CD's sales are in downfall since 2001, every year is worse than the previous one. The merchandising and concert sales are going to the roof at the same time.
17th March 2006 11:05 AM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
CD's sales are in downfall since 2001, every year is worse than the previous one. The merchandising and concert sales are going to the roof at the same time.

Very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much has rarities sold..128k yet?(USA)
17th March 2006 11:14 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

Very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much has rarities sold..128k yet?(USA)

Hi jb

my sources told me that the rarities tee shirt sold more than the record!
17th March 2006 11:36 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi jb

Sadly, Bill was airbrushed out of the picture on the rarities t-shirt to make more room in the picture for Mick's awesome looking guitar.
17th March 2006 11:41 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi jb

The 78 promo was great...........
17th March 2006 11:42 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
The 78 promo was great...........

the 78 was great indeed!!
17th March 2006 11:42 AM
glencar
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi jb

No kidding! I bought a tee shirt/CD package of Rarities when it was released & the tee shirt came in abd shape. I tried to order a new one & they were sold out. Instead I got a more expensive Let It Bleed T shirt.
17th March 2006 09:12 PM
Soldatti At least we can see the original pic of Rarities with Bill on 40 Licks.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)