ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Throwing Stones: Ask Billboard Blurb Return to archive
16th March 2006 10:32 AM
justinkurian THROWING STONES

Hi Keith,

The Rolling Stones' American tour has just ended after six months on the road and a probable gross record. Contrarily, I've heard that their latest studio release was a "commercial failure" despite a top 3 debut. I would like to know the Stones' SoundScan totals to date, as it seems that they're a (huge) touring band that sells relatively few albums.

Sincerely,

Federico Petito
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hello Federico,

The Rolling Stones' most recent studio album, "A Bigger Bang," has sold 500,000 in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, across 26 weeks. Released in September 2005, the Virgin album debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200.

While half a million copies of an album isn't quite flop status, it's not exactly a great number, either. The Stones' previous studio album, 1997's "Bridges To Babylon," has sold 1.2 million. In "Bridges'" first 26 weeks of availability, it moved 985,000 units.

"Bridges" also had a hit single and video in "Anybody Seen My Baby." The song climbed to No. 3 on Billboard Radio Monitor's Mainstream Rock chart. Three more singles from "Bridges" charted on one of the many charts Billboard (or Billboard Radio Monitor) publishes: "Flip the Switch," "Out of Control" and "Saint of Me."

So far, two cuts from "Bang" have reached the Mainstream Rock chart: "Rough Justice" (No. 25) and "Oh No, Not You Again" (No. 34).

The Stones next head to Tokyo for a two-night stand at the Tokyo Dome on March 22 and 24. The band has tour dates lined up through an Aug. 29 show in Cardiff, England.
16th March 2006 11:39 AM
Break The Spell That guy from billboard didn't mention the sucess Rain Fall Down had on the dance charts.
16th March 2006 11:49 AM
Soldatti I was the guy that asked!
My question was for their Soundscan sales since 1991, but he only answered the latest two studio albums figures.
16th March 2006 11:53 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I was the guy that asked!
My question was for their Soundscan sales since 1991, but he only answered the latest two studio albums figures.

It figures, their always full of mistakes and half-information over there. Soundscan sales can be misleading figures to some people, as it only has sales of albums from 1991-present. So for all the albums from the 60's, 70's and 80's that sold in the millions, soundscan may only have that those albums sold in the thousands as it don't take to account what these albums sold 1990 and before.
16th March 2006 11:54 AM
jb Humiliating.......................
16th March 2006 11:58 AM
glencar Soldatti makes the news!
16th March 2006 12:11 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Soldatti makes the news!

See PM...................
16th March 2006 12:31 PM
glencar Joshy, you have a PM or 2...
16th March 2006 12:33 PM
Soldatti Still, 500k sold for a new Stones album in 2006 is not a bad thing. It will sell more in Europe this year (40 Licks moved 600k in Europe during the Licks tour) and another 100k during all the year in US. The final numbers could be 3 - 3.5 million worldwide, not a bad showing for an album without hits and selling, ONLY, for the name of the band.
[Edited by Soldatti]
16th March 2006 12:40 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Still, 500k sold for a new Stones album in 2006 is not a bad thing. It will sell more in Europe this year (40 Licks moved 600k in Europe during the tour) and another 100k during all the year in US. The final numbers could be 3 - 3.5 million worldwide, not a bad showing for an album without hits and selling, ONLY, for the name of the band.

Thats how I look at it too, plus they still stayed true to their style on it. They could have sold more if they did the sell-out thing that Rod and Barry did, remaking 50-60 year old songs with schmaltzy background music.
17th March 2006 09:03 PM
jb We needed 1.5 million USA to have any credibility.....we are done as far as albums..why make em if they don't sell....total humiliation...why do you think Rarities was thrown out at very little cost..to try to make some add'tl $$ for label which took a bath..at leasrt over 100k sold ..
17th March 2006 09:10 PM
glencar Stones have no need for credibility. They are THE standard by which everything else is measured.
17th March 2006 09:11 PM
Soldatti Rarities + ABB: 650k sold.
17th March 2006 09:51 PM
IanBillen
500,000 is excellent for smaller acts. It is a gold record.

Platinum is expected for a major act. Which is 1 million. If you are a major act you HAVE to cut platinum. If not, your album is simply not doing real well at all.

Problem being The Rolling Stones are certainly no small act, or mid-size act.
Sure, they never were incredible sellers. They sold their share. Now over-all sales are over two million right? That is what? Double Platinum. Double Platinum is a success, there is no question. Even platinum is considered a success. However, on the stature of a huge band, that is lower scale. A Bigger Bang sold about as much as Pinks last album. Not a faliure, but it certainly was no smash success. I certainly don't think Virgin lost anything on it. The record didn't haver a big budget and they surely didn't go nuts on spending on advertising it. I am sure Distro took most of the money the album costs. They still made money on it and Virgin still made money.

However, It really needed to sell a million copies in the US to be a nice seller.

Ian
17th March 2006 10:37 PM
Soldatti For the masses, it's a Platinum album if we see the RIAA certification. Only the people with Soundscan access is informed of the real sales status.
18th March 2006 12:43 AM
pdog Sold poor and sounds poor.

18th March 2006 01:24 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
glencar wrote:
Stones have no need for credibility. They are THE standard by which everything else is measured.

On this we agree...
18th March 2006 02:40 AM
IanBillen The last chance ABB had to considerably boost sales was the DVD edition. Even then it is a long shot. If an album has been promoted, and isn't doing anything for six months after it's release it doesn't have much of a chance.\

There are exceptions. But those are usually albums that

A. suddenly sprout a hit single that wasn't originally thought of as not having as much potential as the others released previously

B. Or albums, from bands that just get discovered in the publics eye. I think Appetite for Destruction was out for a while. It took people a while to catch onto G & R. However that is pretty rare. Once or twice a decade.....maybe.

An album has two waves generally to get rolling. First is BY FAR the most important. Second is a different approach usually with a different single promoted.

ABB had both. It is, sadly, as good as gone as far as sales go. Has been for a good while now. However! And this is a BIG HOWEVER. The recent album gave The Stones possibly more credibility than their last album which was released eight years earlier. It is better and people know it. Exile wasn't as big a seller as Sticky Fingers, or Let it Bleed initially....but look how it ranks now.

ABB will be remembered as a sleeping whammy of an album. A great, hard hitting, no-frills, simplistic latter day album that surprised everyone. It is as best I have heard "unapologetic". It is, what it is, and pulls no punches as to where it is coming from. It goes straight at you nice and loud without any hidden agenda. It is straight up, rock-based, higher powered, Stones music that doesn't need to grow on you to get to like it. You love it AS SOON AS YOU HEAR IT! It will be remembered more than Bridges, maybe more than Voodoo, and hell, maybe more than anything since Tattoo You as far as great Stones stuff in the years to come......that says quite a bit.

*I think what alot of folks are missing here is:
ABB just wasn't taylored for radio play and this album wasn't about all that.

This album was about doing a strong, rock-solid, powerful Rock album without worrying about hit singles (except maybe SOL). That is what we wanted in the first place and I am thrilled we got it that way.
[Edited by IanBillen]
18th March 2006 10:41 AM
mmdog
Just when you think the Stones can't sell albums anymore, a 12 year old compliation gets released in the U.S. and sells almost 800,000 copies. Is Jump Back still on the charts? That's amazing.
18th March 2006 12:40 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Exile wasn't as big a seller as Sticky Fingers, or Let it Bleed initially....but look how it ranks now.

One of the big lies of the Stones history, just see the first ten weeks on the US charts of Exile:
10-*1*-1-1-1-2-2-3-3-6

4wks at #1 and not a big hit?
18th March 2006 12:44 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mmdog wrote:

Just when you think the Stones can't sell albums anymore, a 12 year old compliation gets released in the U.S. and sells almost 800,000 copies. Is Jump Back still on the charts? That's amazing.

It's not on charts, but still sell 4,000 copies each week.
Since August 2004, the Stones released 4 albums on Virgin with combined sales of almost 1.5 million copies in US.
19th March 2006 03:33 AM
IanBillen [quote]Soldatti wrote:

One of the big lies of the Stones history, just see the first ten weeks on the US charts of Exile:
10-*1*-1-1-1-2-2-3-3-6

4wks at #1 and not a big hit?

Here we go again Soldatti. When did I say Exile wasn't a big hit? It charted well and sold well. However, to my knowledge, it didn't sell as much as Sticky Fingers, or Let it Bleed sold within a three year time frame. Did it? I think out of those three albums, Exile was the least selling of the three, for that era, in that era. It may of surpassed Let it Bleed down the road. It may of surpassed Stick y Fingers down the road. But look at the sales then, and look at the sales then. I think Exile was behind those three. My point being, is look at how Exile ranks now. Many times, ahead of those albums. Such as A Bigger Bang didn't sell nearly as well as Voodoo, or Bridges, but one day may be remembered as a better album than either of those being of it's quality.

Ian
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)