ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14 2006 Setlist, Reviews & Pix Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th March 2006 07:02 AM
corgi37 Sounds like a show for the ages. This has been an amazing tour so far. They just seem to lift the bar higher each time and always seem to clear it.

And they know, the best is yet to come. I am sure they are so glad to finally leave that continent. Indeed, that hemisphere. I can feel it. They are itching for some Aussie beer.
15th March 2006 07:51 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
wellwell wrote:
Hey all.

I do not post often, but I feel compelled.

I just got back to Brooklyn. Let me just say AMAZING SHOW tonight. I have been fortunate to see the Stones 3 times this tour (Albany, 1/20 MSG and tonight) plus Roseland 02 and this was a fucking fantastic show. Underrated Albany was all about power, and Roseland was about tightness, tonight was about the groove. You people who know that groove, know what I am talking about. No one was the star tonight, they all just clicked into that groove and it was a delight.

Aside from Keith and Ronnie getting lost a bit during IORR before the bridge there was NOTHING to complain about. Shattered (which really worked in 78 and was a galloping horse in 81, but lately not so much) hit the groove this time. Amazing version. Tumbling Dice which they have played 1000 times gave me tingles because of the groove. Keith at one moment went all the way to the left of the stage and leaned against the wall and just hung in, digging the groove. Ronnie just laid down sweet B-bender licks that complemented the groove and Charlie was in the zone. Worried had Mick telling the band to bring it down so they could revel in the groove. Midnight Rambler had Ron, Keith and Darryl huddling in front of Charlie the whole song, following Keith's rhythmic instincts. I have seen them rock this song (and I have to say it is consistently the best, most interesting number they perform these days) but tonight it was about the groove, which was heaven.

OK. I am repeating myself now, but I think you get the point. They were locked in. They were tight but loose, with Mick and Keith calling out song changes. Which means during Sympathy it was as much about what they did not play as they did. Charlie was throwing in beats and accents I don't usually hear, as he did in YCAGWYW. The standards kicked ass because they found a new groove to them tonight. Ronnie was doing weaving patterns I have NEVER heard him play before in Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction like it was a 78 Beast of Burden jam.

And can I say that Radio City does not have a bad seat. Not one. I have seen Neil and Crazy Horse there as well as that Strokes/ White Stripes show and the sound is perfect, the place is majestic, and tonight the bar was an open bar til 10:30, of which there are at least 10 scattered about. A great show.

So the highlights:

Shattered in the zone.
Tumbling Dice
Worried About You (Mick says as he sits down at the piano, "Well it looks like I get to sit down for a bit, I hope it is not Candle In The Wind")
Rambler (of course)
As Tears Go By
and amazingly Honky Tonk Women sounded fresh.

If only the Stones would decide to decamp for a month at a venue like this for a show every other night. They really are at their best in these smaller shows, and they are able to highlight their subtleties as well as their power. I feel blessed to have seen Roseland and now Radio City.

[Edited by wellwell]

Great post indeed!
15th March 2006 09:08 AM
Gazza just 19 songs???

urrgh...hope thats not a sign of things to come...
15th March 2006 09:16 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Sounds like a show for the ages. This has been an amazing tour so far. They just seem to lift the bar higher each time and always seem to clear it.

Amen King Corgi .......................

When The Rolling Stones hit Australia you are going to see the Greatest Rock n' Roll show of all times .

Truly ...... BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing !

J.
15th March 2006 09:19 AM
six mayers Gazaa wrote:
just 19 songs???

This was a special show...more intimate...not a stadium concert...

19 songs was all that the Stones needeed to really rock the house!

cheers
[Edited by six mayers]
15th March 2006 09:57 AM
Paranoid_Android Any report how the B's were? I have seen them about 6 times and they have NEVER failed to be less than FUN and great entertainers.

Anyone record them?
15th March 2006 10:35 AM
Joey
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Any report how the B's were? I have seen them about 6 times and they have NEVER failed to be less than FUN and great entertainers.

YES !

|
|
|
V

" B-52's did a very solid job. I was happy to see them perform....Roam was great. And of course, Love Shack and Rock Lobster. Before the Stones hit the stage, Robin Hood's chairman took the stage along with board member Harvey Weinstein to thank everyone for coming to the show.

Finally, the lights dimmed and ...... "

http://www.iorr.org/tour05/rcmh.htm

15th March 2006 10:51 AM
oldkr the B52's were actually a nightmare, i could bear them about as much as somebody hitting the side of my head with a pick axe.

the guys voice is just awful he sounds like a bad club singer (for any brits ala vic reeves on shooting stars)) the 2 old hags that sing with him were incapable of harmony.

All their songs have the same tempo same bass line and same format, they were so bad i couldnt stand it so left on a voyage for the bathroom, before finally being aloud out to smoke

OLDKR
15th March 2006 11:08 AM
GimmeExile Was this the first time in history when Omaha got a better setlist than New York City?

15th March 2006 11:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
six mayers wrote:
Gazaa wrote:
just 19 songs???

This was a special show...more intimate...not a stadium concert...

19 songs was all that the Stones needeed to really rock the house!

cheers

I'm glad you're convinced!
15th March 2006 11:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:
the B52's were actually a nightmare, i could bear them about as much as somebody hitting the side of my head with a pick axe.

the guys voice is just awful he sounds like a bad club singer (for any brits ala vic reeves on shooting stars))

LOL

E-RANU!!!!!
15th March 2006 11:22 AM
luxury1 I must admit, Gazza, I was surprised/disillusioned with the 19 song set. The sound, to me, was not all that crisp, however, that could have had something to do with the open bar......

It was a fun gig, though, the Stones were tight, and lots of smiles all around--maybe they are in need of the week off.
15th March 2006 12:34 PM
daxx loved Mick's quote; "This is the most well-heeled crowd weve ever palyed for...more than Dubai...and you guys have more wives!"

Killer concert. anyone wanna buy my t-shirt?
15th March 2006 01:41 PM
throbby As Tears Go By

15th March 2006 01:46 PM
Bubba_Phat When/Where can we expect to see a bootleg of this show? It's definitely one worth having in your collection.
15th March 2006 01:48 PM
Candace Youngblood

http://terrapin.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=286925

Some pics from a non-Stones board

15th March 2006 02:39 PM
throbby
15th March 2006 02:50 PM
pdog Sweet Lawd, Great pic Throbby...
15th March 2006 04:38 PM
MRD8 A friend of mine recorded last nights show and will send me a copy in a week or so...it looks like it may have been filmed also, more on that later.
15th March 2006 05:08 PM
Bubba_Phat Please keep us updated on that front!
15th March 2006 07:43 PM
Paranoid_Android http://images.snapfish.com/346566%3B56%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E888%3E%3A%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323358%3B3%3B784%3Cnu0mrj

my favorite shot...the marquee w/ the cruiser is TOPS!!!
15th March 2006 08:01 PM
lonecrapshooter wellwell thanks for the great post. I was there and couldn't agree more. You could tell Mick was going all out and gave everyone their money's worth. My friend and his wife, diehard fans, met him after the show and said he was very gracious.
15th March 2006 09:29 PM
Soldatti Not bad setlist, but 19 songs is a bad sign for Europe. Just like the Licks tour.
16th March 2006 05:22 AM
corgi37 Yeah, they sure did cut the set for Oz/Europe. We got ripped during Licks, and well, probably again. We dont have as many guns you see.

Throbby - Great shot with the streamers! Loved it.

So, soon, they will disinfect themselves from that dirty country, and prepare for Oz. Bet they cant wait.
16th March 2006 05:35 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yeah, they sure did cut the set for Oz/Europe. We got ripped during Licks, and well, probably again. We dont have as many guns you see.

Throbby - Great shot with the streamers! Loved it.

So, soon, they will disinfect themselves from that dirty country, and prepare for Oz. Bet they cant wait.

What period of the Stones music do the aussies take to most. Or is it the same as the US?
16th March 2006 06:03 AM
corgi37 Interesting question. The Stones lost alot of the 1st and maybe 2nd generation fans by not touring from 1973-1995. In that time, they lost at least 2 generations of young fans. So many original fans (like my sis) hates them from 66 onwards! Though, she is a Beatles tragic. I can honestly say, from 74 on, most original Aussie fans were lost.

Like everywhere, 1978 saw a resurgance. But, their failure to tour in 81-82 cost them dearly, allowing U2, Springsteen and the like to come in. Not touring in 89-90 really fucked them. They lost the candy L.A. rock fans and the grungers. By 95 it was a bit too late. 2003 was purely nostalgia. This time around, with just 2 shows, its really just the hard core fans.

Oz is a rocking country. Home of sweaty pub rock, particularly Melbourne. Even our faggotty band like Little River Band, Men at Work and even Savage Garden started in dingy pubs. Its how they learnt their craft. Not getting signed to multi million dollar deals just cause they look good or are some ones brother/sister.

ABB went to #3 here. Then, 2 weeks later, out the charts. Fuck all airplay (except for K-Rock!!!). B2B was largely ignored due to horrible 1st single and lack of tour. Really, they toured Yank land fucking twice, but couldnt come here! Cunts! B2B sold fuck all here. VL sold pretty well.

To wrap up, Aussies prefer the war-horses. Fave period? I'd say the golden years of 68-72. And, of course, the singles. The Stones were their own worst enemies as far as maintaining an interest down here. So many bands and fads filled the void. Elton John, for example, used to tour here every 2-3 frigging years! he was in Melbourne when Lennon got whacked. Bon Jovi were regulars too - there's the stadium shit for ya. GnR, they played to 100,000 people here in Melb. I was there! Should have been the Stones! Kiss! Toured here and impressed all the lonely, insecure Greek kids. U2, though just cancelled and havent been here for 8 years, cemented themselves by touring here from the start of their career, and never deserting us.

Here, except for rabid fans, anything after Tattoo You is non-existant.
16th March 2006 06:18 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Interesting question. The Stones lost alot of the 1st and maybe 2nd generation fans by not touring from 1973-1995. In that time, they lost at least 2 generations of young fans. So many original fans (like my sis) hates them from 66 onwards! Though, she is a Beatles tragic. I can honestly say, from 74 on, most original Aussie fans were lost.

Like everywhere, 1978 saw a resurgance. But, their failure to tour in 81-82 cost them dearly, allowing U2, Springsteen and the like to come in. Not touring in 89-90 really fucked them. They lost the candy L.A. rock fans and the grungers. By 95 it was a bit too late. 2003 was purely nostalgia. This time around, with just 2 shows, its really just the hard core fans.

Oz is a rocking country. Home of sweaty pub rock, particularly Melbourne. Even our faggotty band like Little River Band, Men at Work and even Savage Garden started in dingy pubs. Its how they learnt their craft. Not getting signed to multi million dollar deals just cause they look good or are some ones brother/sister.

ABB went to #3 here. Then, 2 weeks later, out the charts. Fuck all airplay (except for K-Rock!!!). B2B was largely ignored due to horrible 1st single and lack of tour. Really, they toured Yank land fucking twice, but couldnt come here! Cunts! B2B sold fuck all here. VL sold pretty well.

To wrap up, Aussies prefer the war-horses. Fave period? I'd say the golden years of 68-72. And, of course, the singles. The Stones were their own worst enemies as far as maintaining an interest down here. So many bands and fads filled the void. Elton John, for example, used to tour here every 2-3 frigging years! he was in Melbourne when Lennon got whacked. Bon Jovi were regulars too - there's the stadium shit for ya. GnR, they played to 100,000 people here in Melb. I was there! Should have been the Stones! Kiss! Toured here and impressed all the lonely, insecure Greek kids. U2, though just cancelled and havent been here for 8 years, cemented themselves by touring here from the start of their career, and never deserting us.

Here, except for rabid fans, anything after Tattoo You is non-existant.

Interesting indeed. They really did fuck it then.
16th March 2006 07:36 AM
luxury1 lonecrapshooter--we need more details, please!
16th March 2006 08:09 AM
Ramrod My pespective as a fellow Australian is pretty much the same as Corgi's . The Stones left it too long between the '73 tour and the Voodoo Lounge tour to tour Australia. But having said that the Voodoo Lounge tour sold out 2 shows at Randwick in Sydney and the place was packed to capacity both nights, that is about 60,000 a night. So someone must have still been digging them.

They charted ok all through the seventies in Australia, both singles and albums, and seemed to peak with 'Tattoo you' and 'Start me up', both very big hits in Oz, but then stalled at the point of 'Undercover'. I believe the lead off single from their albums is all important down here. If it takes off, then the general public will then follow through and buy the album.

Plus you gotta take into account that hip-hop is also really big with a lot of the under 30's in Oz, just the same as the U.S. and no matter how much they toured they wouldn't change that tragic fact.
16th March 2006 11:24 AM
Highwire Rob What a blast you folks got last time with Angus & Malcolm joining the Stones. Is this likely to happen again?
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)