ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panamá City Airport, Panamá - 2001
© From the Cucho Peñaloza Archives!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: setlist from Ronnies Show Return to archive
March 14th, 2005 12:19 AM
voodoopug I got this from www.iorr.org please credit them:

Re: MICK AT RONNIE'S SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: KeithRichards (IP Logged)
Date: mars 14, 2005 06:15

hi guys!
I am at Stansted Airport right now with Thomas!
Setlist:

Mystifies Me
Am I grooving you
seven days
testify
whadda ya think
if i dont have you (reggae)
If you want me to stay
plynth
oh la la
little wing
breathe on me
piece of my heart
black limo
dance (with mick!)
flying (kenney jones)
stay with me
March 14th, 2005 02:23 AM
Jumacfly whow!! I really looking forward Gazza 's report!!
March 14th, 2005 03:25 PM
Gazza Fucking hell - where to start

Despite 34 Stones shows in 21 years, for a sheer "Holy Shite!" factor NOTHING ever has or ever will top that TOTALLY unexpected moment a few bars into "Dance" last night when Mick breezed onstage from stage left totally unannounced and was greeted with a roar that almost ripped the roof of the old theatre. On it's own it was worth double the combined price of the ticket, the flight,the hotel room and all the beers I drank.

Rumours abounded since this show was announced at who the 'guests' might be. In the end there was only one special guest that we didnt already know was playing. We didnt need any more, to be honest. You dont get any bigger than Mick anyway, and how the hell do you follow that?

But it was about more than just that six minute cameo.

Ronnie and his all star band cant have had much time to rehearse. Darryl Jones, for example, only flew in from Chicago on Saturday. However, the whole ensemble sounded really tight and professional. More so than when I saw Ronnie's show at Vicar Street in Dublin 3 years ago. Ronnie was in fine form, both vocally and (as far as I could tell with all the guitarists onstage) musically. He didnt drink or smoke during the entire show - which would indicate he seems to finally be conquering his tobacco addiction. Seems he's still in the process of some kind of recovery - I was told that apparently the reason for the show's relative brevity were two-fold - one of which is that physically he's not quite up to the rigours of a full show just yet. The other reason was that apparently 20 minutes of the gig had been set aside for an appearance by Rod Stewart, who didnt show.

the core band was as follows :
Drums : Andy Newmark
Bass : Darryl Jones
Keyboards : Ian McLagan
Percussion : Ray Cooper
Guitars : Ronnie Wood, Jesse Wood, the guy from the Charlatans and another guitarist who I didnt recognise
Fiddle ; Frankie Gavin

Vocals were shared around. Ronnie sang most songs, Bernard Fowler did a few and another guy from Ronnie's band whose name escapes me came on and harmonised on a couple of songs with Woody. Then there were the 3 chick backing singers. Leah Wood, Andrea Corr and Beverley Knight. Andrea also sang a beautiful version of Hendrix's "Little Wing" and played tin whistle. She also duetted on "ooh La La" I think (I made notes at the time - in the dark - its a nightmare trying to read them, however!). Prior to Mick's arrival, the real showstopper was the delicious Beverley Knight - resplendent in a black t-shirt with a huge Stones tongue and knee length black "fuck me" boots who absolutely NAILED "Piece of My Heart".

The setlist with some notes (accuracy of notes not 100% guaranteed due to their being hard to read) is as follows:

Mystifies Me (Ronnie solo on acoustic guitar)
Am I Groovin You (Ronnie & Bernard vocals)
Testify (joined by Leah, Andrea and Beverley on backing vocals)
Seven Days
Whadda Ya Think (Frankie Gavin makes his first appearance)
If I Don't Have You (Bernard vocals)
If You Want Me To Stay (Bernard)
Plynth (Water Down The Drain) (Ronnie on bass!)
Ooh La La
Little Wing - (Andrea Corr on vocals)
Breathe On Me (with Bernard)
Piece of My Heart (Beverley Knight)
Long Black Limousine (Bernard)
Dance (HOLY FUCK - IS IT? IT'S NOT....IT IS!!!!!)
Flying (Bernard vocal, with special guest on drums - Kenney Jones)

Encore :
Stay With Me (Bernard singing, Kenney on drums, great solo by the Woodman, great singalong)

My fellow Rocks-Offer from Belfast, Hotlicks saw and spoke to Ronnie as he was going in at 3 pm for the soundcheck. I'll let him post more on it when he gets home should he wish to.

Ronnie's paintings were on show in the various lobbies around the theatre. They look really great up close. Had a couple of beers before the show (£3.80 for a can of fucking Carlings!!) with me old long time mate Gary Robertson (GR from "IORR" board)and Nikki Sudden. Pete Doherty of the Libertines was standing having a drink with some friends but denied that he was who I thought he was. I told him that I knew a girl in the US who would probably cream her jeans if I got a photo of him (Hi,Factory Girl!) but he insisted he was someone else. Id bet my house it was him but I figured there was neither no sense reasoning with him or pursuing such an absurd conversation with a guy who was just having a quiet night out so I left him alone. I also had a piss next to Glenn Matlock of the Sex Pistols. I didnt "check him out", though.

Pre-show we met at the Lowlander just down the street. I think about 25-30 people were there at various points in the 3 hours before the show. I counted people from 10 different countries - England, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Princess Margaret herself, all the way from the US. It was great to see so many great people from IORR, Shidoobee and Rocks Off and thank you all for coming along (and for those who didnt bother - tsk tsk). Stones fans really are the greatest in the world and its always a thrill to meet so many terrific people. Everyone was incredibly nice.

We'd arranged to meet at a bar in Leicester Square afterwards but by the time my party got there it was packed and we couldnt get in (plus they were only gonna be open til 2 am - as our hotel bar was open until 1 we de-camped back there instead)

All in all a night I'll never forget on so many levels. This Stones year has now been kickstarted into action in style. I've a feelin that - to paraphrase Ol' Blue Eyes - it's gonna be "a very good year"

[Edited by Gazza]
March 14th, 2005 03:30 PM
Gazza oh, and at least two people I know taped it. I was listening to a bit of it on GR's mini disc in the hotel bar after the gig.

You have no concept of how difficult it is to not scream like one of Freddie Kruger's victims when you're sitting next to someone who's making a recording of the gig and Mick bloody Jagger prances onstage unannounced....
March 14th, 2005 03:35 PM
LadyJane If that review doesn't get all of us pumped NOTHING will!! GREAT read!!!

Thank you Gazza!!! Sounds fan-fucking-tastic!!! So glad you were there to see it!!!

BTW..I am typing this with my nipples!!!

LJ.
March 14th, 2005 03:38 PM
Gazza The sight of grown people getting to their feet en masse and then punching their fists or hugging each other in disbelief at Mick's arrival was unforgettable. It was like everyone in the theatre's teams had won the World Cup, Superbowl, Wimbledon and World Series all at the same time.

THAT good!
March 14th, 2005 03:43 PM
nankerphelge Sounds like the TINGLE hit ya big time there Gazza!!

Glad you were there to catch it!
March 14th, 2005 03:45 PM
Gazza still havent come down to earth, nanky - to be perfectly honest

I'm recalling bits at a time and trying to piece it all together

Someone in the audience was filming the show too. I dont know if it was for official purposes or a bootlegger, but he seemed to be doing so quite openly.
March 14th, 2005 03:55 PM
iluvmickjagger07 thats so cool that you were lucky enough to go. how much did the ticket cost? did you get a good seat? im so jealous
March 14th, 2005 03:59 PM
Harry Haller Ronnie did play Little Wing??
March 14th, 2005 04:00 PM
KeithRichards Hi guys!
I'm listening to my recording for the whole day already, it's by far not as good as the GR's recording, but it's still quite ok. I'll send some files to Pascal to put them on www.rockpassion.com - so you can download it from there soon hopefully!
March 14th, 2005 04:01 PM
Gazza >thats so cool that you were lucky enough to go. how much did the ticket cost? did you get a good seat? im so jealous

tickets were about £30 for the balcony and about £40 for stalls and circle (about $55 and $75) plus the standard charges

The theatre holds about 1,600. Its a very grand and beautiful old theatre. theres 4 levels of seating - stalls, grand circle, upper circle, balcony - so while the seats go quite high up, theyre never too far back. I was in the grand circle. So, the views should be good for everyone. They have some "private boxes/Royal boxes too. I saw Jo Wood (and presumably a few friends and relatives) in one to my left
[Edited by Gazza]
March 14th, 2005 04:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
Harry Haller wrote:
Ronnie did play Little Wing??

he sure did. And Andrea Corr sang it. It was surprisingly excellent
March 14th, 2005 04:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
KeithRichards wrote:
Hi guys!
I'm listening to my recording for the whole day already, it's by far not as good as the GR's recording, but it's still quite ok. I'll send some files to Pascal to put them on www.rockpassion.com - so you can download it from there soon hopefully!

glad you and Andreas got home safely OK, Lorenz. It was great to meet you both.

thanks for offering to get them uploaded. If you can get someone to do a non-MP3 version uploaded though, even better!
March 14th, 2005 05:42 PM
Gazza I missed a couple of things about Mick's performance which were worth mentioning - this was originally posted by BrendanF on Shidoobee. I think the "he" Ronnie was referring to was Rod, however, and not Keith...

he also mentions Mick coming out from "SR" (stage right). I said it was stage left. Just to clarify, it would be the left side of the stage from the view of the audience.

Good point on Mick not ending the show and completely stealing the limelight but instead returning the spotlight to his mate as it was HIS night, after all...

Jagger brought the roof down. Late in the show, BF strode onstage
and sidled up to RW as he was introducing a song . RW: "Who wants to
dance?" RW looks to stage right, eyes akimbo - "Er... Cos... you got a
good teacher." Riff and groove start up - Himself bounds out from the
SR wings... Joint goes insane. The track is a thumpingly dirty
"Dance". Room loves it. Fact; The posh bar staff abandoned stations
(at least 20 metres away + thru sound-proofed auditorium doors) and
rushed in. MJ seemed very "brotherly" during his one song (albeit
kinda rapping/ ) stint - if he'd done more than one track he would've
"upstaged the bride" as it were. MJ clearly is supporting RW's efforts
to reclaim his talent and focus - claps on the back, eye contact,
having fun. Incidentally: Ron mouthed, quite clearly, to Mick near the end
of song: "Did he come?" Toss of MJ head indicated: "No". So, no Keith.
And no Rod.

March 14th, 2005 06:45 PM
Flairville Just got back from London! What a show, I cannot describe the elation of the crowd when Mick walked on. I nearly died. The shock from everyone in the building was unbelievable. I hadn't seen Mick come on, I was looking at the other side of the stage, she nudged me and went 'Look!' I haven't been that excited for a long long time! Great meeting Gazza and the rest of the board. Hope we can meet up for some more intimate Stones shows soon!! Rocks were definitely Off last night!
March 14th, 2005 08:25 PM
Soldatti What a great surprise, I can't imagine the energy level during that moment.
March 14th, 2005 08:31 PM
glencar Where was this held?
March 14th, 2005 08:42 PM
Gazza the concert?

Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.

Its right in the middle of Covent Garden

a venue famous to Monty Python fans as their classic live album was recorded there!

Its also haunted
[Edited by Gazza]
March 14th, 2005 08:45 PM
glencar Thanks. For some reason I thought it was going to be in Dublin.
March 14th, 2005 09:15 PM
corgi37 It all sounds very nice. Ronnie looks pretty fit. I like his longer hair too.

Glad you had a good time, Gazza.
March 15th, 2005 05:44 AM
FotiniD Gazza, Flairville and all of you lucky devils who made it to Ron's gig... So glad you had such a great time - and what a treat that special guest was... Can't complaint, you got a great Stonesy fix!

Thanks Gazza for the great review (jeez, I can just PICTURE the look you must have had on your face when Mick got on stage ). Daethgod, Lorenz and Kent for the mp3 taste, Gypsy and Ian for the pics.

Ronnie sounds and looks just great. Damn, I wish I was there too... Can't wait for the tour even more now!

P.S. We need the full bootleg asap
Gazza, did you take any pics too?

[Edited by FotiniD]
March 15th, 2005 08:50 AM
Gazza I did, but I doubt they'll be worth reproducing as I was in the circle and I didnt have a zoom lens.
March 15th, 2005 08:56 AM
Fiji Joe Ron Wood...Little Wing?...how did that come off?
March 15th, 2005 08:58 AM
Gazza surprisingly well, Fiji. Andrea Corr sang it really nicely
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood