ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panamá City Airport, Panamá - 2001
© From the Cucho Peñaloza Archives!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Album/Tour Return to archive
March 12th, 2005 04:01 PM
JaggerLips Rehash of an old topic.

The latest anyone?

Please only post reliable info as I am a bit on the desperate side at the moment! Can't contain the want of hearing new Stones stuff and going to see them again!
March 12th, 2005 04:48 PM
IanBillen
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Rehash of an old topic.

The latest anyone?

Please only post reliable info as I am a bit on the desperate side at the moment! Can't contain the want of hearing new Stones stuff and going to see them again!

Check the other posts. There are many concerning this topic. A quick briefing:
Yes an album IS definately in the works. Nobody knows for sure to what degree or exactly when exactly it will be released (including myself). However they are at work on it as we speak and it is factual that Mick and Keith have spent alot of time writing together for the upcoming project.

A tour IS in the works. Nobody knows exactly when. Probably late summer-early fall.

Ian
March 12th, 2005 05:12 PM
glencar The tour starts in Boston (?) in early Sept. An album will follow shortly. Chaos will be swept aside & the man with fishing tackle in his hair will reign supreme.
March 12th, 2005 08:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Rehash of an old topic.

The latest anyone?

recording recommences at Suresnes studios, Paris early next week

Dont wet your knickers about it just yet, though!
March 13th, 2005 02:31 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
Gazza wrote:

recording recommences at Suresnes studios, Paris early next week

Dont wet your knickers about it just yet, though!

Ahh those midnight sessions....Charlie locking the rest of the Stones up and threatening to beat them up with his drum sticks until they record something decent! hahahah
Well that's my fantasy.....

I know guess I am just too impatient, sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about the prospect of a new album or a tour so then I am surprised when it happens and it would feel like a birthday and Christmas all rolled into one!

March 13th, 2005 03:34 PM
maumau this was posted on iorr...

"Ronnie Wood Interview
Posted by: skelly (IP Logged)
Date: mars 13, 2005 22:03

Did anyone hear Ronnie being interviewed on Virgin Radio (UK) earlier? I caught it but wasn't anywhere near a PC to post a message to let you all listen.
Anyway, he confirmed that Mick, Keith and Charlie had been working on a new album. Ronnie still has to do his overdubs and will be doing that soon and expects the album to be released in the summer.
He has been sent the demo's by Mick and Keith and says that alot of the songs are in the "Don't Stop" mould. He also sayed something about some of the lyrics being interesting but wouldn't say any more than that.
And he also sayed that the band will be on the road again September / October to promote the album."

ok one could think anything worst that a lot of songs in the "don't stop" mould???????
March 13th, 2005 04:45 PM
Bob Tamp I hope for once Ronnie is not accurate with his description of the new material or we are in all big trouble. We need and expect a lot better than Dont Stop as far as new material goes.

On the bright side, he has a history of kind of fucking these things up. Didnt he call Dont Stop the new Start Me Up? And I remember in a 1977 interview him calling the upcoming Stones album " Some Girls" an extension of "Black and Blue" so lets hope Ronnie's track record describing songs remains the same.
March 13th, 2005 04:45 PM
kahoosier Oh yes it could be worse then Don't Stop, they could sound like Keys to Your Heart, or the stunbling Keith ballad on 40 Licks! Hell it could be another Dirty Work.

As for me, Don't Stop actaully works, and as Licks progressed, seemed to become a crowd favorite. It seemed to take a life of its own when performed live. With that in mimd I re-listened to it yesterday and have come to believe it may be the freshest most commercially viable thing the Stones have done in quite a while. Granted, commercail viability does not eqaute to artistic integrity.
March 13th, 2005 04:54 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
I hope for once Ronnie is not accurate with his description of the new material or we are in all big trouble. We need and expect a lot better than Dont Stop as far as new material goes.

On the bright side, he has a history of kind of fucking these things up. Didnt he call Dont Stop the new Start Me Up? And I remember in a 1977 interview him calling the upcoming Stones album " Some Girls" an extension of "Black and Blue" so lets hope Ronnie's track record describing songs remains the same.

If I remember correctly he also stated the Stones were going to tour behind a boxed-set a year before tour announcements were even made (Licks).

March 13th, 2005 06:39 PM
ResidentMule Don't Stop pretty much was a remake of Start Me Up. biggest difference was the producer.

I think the worst part of that Ronnie article is that he points out he's had nothing to do with the album up to this point, that his contributions will just be overdubs. nothing like when a band makes a record andonly 3 of them are in the same room a the same time

anyway, I hope Keith is really getting into this album, even if he's taking his time. after watching the Licks MSG show yesterday and the B2B DVD today, and comparing how sloppy he's gotten just in the last 2 tours, he would do well to spend more time paying his guitar and less time hugging it for the cameras
[Edited by ResidentMule]
March 13th, 2005 07:24 PM
maumau well, of course it is a matter of taste

for me don't stop is flat, ordinary, i hate when rolling stones guitar sound is treated like that, it is clean, "sexy and slicky" to use jagger's. to me a good rs sound goes exactly in the opposite direction, it's dirty e rough it has layers but they're mudded onto each other, also the structure of DS is really poor and cliché

in fact i think that keys to your love, though i don't love it either, has something more in it. mick's voice is good when it come closer to an r'b ballad, he can still give me the thrill with his falsetto. i like the organ behind and the guitars work fine even if it is only a pale remake of beast of burden

about ronnie being not involved i think he was there (in Paris 2002) when they recorded the songs. because i think that this is becoming clearer: mick and keith have been doing this lately, choosing songs and working on the production level, maybe adding their own overdubs. so now it's ronnie and the others time to do theirs.

so, the problem is not that ronnie is not involved because he has been. the problem, i fear, is the mould...
March 13th, 2005 07:47 PM
IanBillen
quote:
maumau wrote:
this was posted on iorr...

"Ronnie Wood Interview
Posted by: skelly (IP Logged)
Date: mars 13, 2005 22:03

Did anyone hear Ronnie being interviewed on Virgin Radio (UK) earlier? I caught it but wasn't anywhere near a PC to post a message to let you all listen.
Anyway, he confirmed that Mick, Keith and Charlie had been working on a new album. Ronnie still has to do his overdubs and will be doing that soon and expects the album to be released in the summer.
He has been sent the demo's by Mick and Keith and says that alot of the songs are in the "Don't Stop" mould. He also sayed something about some of the lyrics being interesting but wouldn't say any more than that.
And he also sayed that the band will be on the road again September / October to promote the album."

ok one could think anything worst that a lot of songs in the "don't stop" mould???????

Thanks alot for the updated info. on the current project.

And do not worry, either Ronnie plays stupid when it comes to describing upcoming Rolling Stones releases or he really can't describe what is goin on too well. His descriptions from the past on upcoming studio projects, from the late seventies until now, have been anything but even semi-closely accurate. He always descibes their upcoming releases and when it comes out it really isn't as how he descibes them.

Not to mention: he speaks very much from a musicians point of view. So he could very well be talking about chords used, tempo, or tuning, or musical influence rather than the whole songs in general.

For Example: Black and Blue was a pre-album in itself.
Some Girls was the fully transitioned group
with a fresh start
after Black and Blue. Black and Blue was a
transitional album. The result was Some Girls.
This also could add some light to interpeting
what exactly Ronnie could mean by the "Don't
Stop Mould". Or he may mean more of a classic
Rolling Stones sound in terms of the material.

Also,
Even if this is somewhat correct.
The mixing, which sounds like they are not finished with (or maybe started at all, especially if Ronnie is not done laying down what he has to) process can put a different spin on the type of sound and groove of the songs.

Ian
March 13th, 2005 08:14 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
maumau wrote:
this was posted on iorr...

"Ronnie Wood Interview

He has been sent the demo's by Mick and Keith and says that alot of the songs are in the "Don't Stop" mould.

god help us - let's hope that's not the case

as noted some of ronnie's "decriptions" have been a bit off in the past - let's hope that is th ecase this time

only thing worse would be that they are all in the "Stealing My Heart" mould

March 13th, 2005 09:16 PM
Soldatti An album full of Don't Stops?
What the hell are they doing?
Don Was said "it sound like the end of the 60's", that guy from the SF journal said "like Out Of Our Heads" and Ronnie said "full of Don't Stops". Maybe they are doing 3 different CD's!
March 13th, 2005 09:35 PM
IanBillen
I strongly feel that the two reasons Ronnie is not so involved this far along are:

1. Ronnie has been going through some things with substances
and/or alchohol for the most part. He needs things to take
on for himself. Out-side of the Rolling Stones. It keeps
him on a new plain, and gives him something to do. It is
quite good for him right now and I think the other realize this, especially Mick and Charlie.

2.It's my hunch that Mick, and Keith, (and some of Charlie Watts)and Don Was want to try and capture the songwriting genius of Jagger/Richards (and some of Charlie Watts)as much as possible for the songs on the up-coming album. This song writing is the very core that gave The Rolling Stones a fantastic career and a dumptruck load of classic tunes. So they have been concentrating on the song writing as much as they can as far as Jagger/Richards/Charlies input composing and writing BEFORE any recording even gets started and anyone eles get's too terribly involved in the project.

If this is all so, as I specualte, We will be instore for
results that will truly surprise everyone.

Ian
March 14th, 2005 05:30 AM
maumau hope your right ian

i thought they were going to record new songs written by j/r in novembrer with help from cw. but ronnie speaking of overdubs convinced me that the work is already done

and that scares me because i think that we're speaking of forty licks sessions that is don't stop sessions being worked on

but then, think that you're right about ronnie "being inaccurate" and, though those sessions have produced average (to be euphemistic) tracks like those published on 40l, extremely western grip and well well shows another side of the coin, being works in progress were the band was jazzing really cool

so i'll keep the faith

beside that, mick looks in great shape on ronnie's stage, he looks more casual than usual with those washed black jeans, and the his undone haircut, he seems to be having fun and "present"

another good sign: there's no sign of chuck out there and i really hope that mick went there also to hire ian...

i think that it would be very helpful to change the usual team a bit to get out of that mould.

so: please dont stop there folks!
March 14th, 2005 06:37 AM
Zack >(and some of Charlie Watts)

What part of Charlie would that be - is left elbow, or his kneecaps?
March 14th, 2005 02:14 PM
Harry Haller Loved "Don't Stop", great song, probably the best since Satisfaction. But for some reason sounded like it was written for a commercial.
March 14th, 2005 02:23 PM
glencar I read somewhere that there's going to be 5 Keith ballads on the new CD. Excited now?
March 14th, 2005 02:31 PM
Snappy McJack What? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, HorseS**t!!!
March 14th, 2005 02:33 PM
glencar I was just kidding. I'd rather hear Bill Wyman's solo stuff again!
March 14th, 2005 02:35 PM
Riffhard Word is this. Album slated for a late summer release. Tour to follow in early fall starting in North America. This is per the lable exec. I talked to him on Fiday,but he is in the dark as to how far along they have come in the recording process. However,the penciled in date is some time in late summer. That is all.

Riffhard
March 14th, 2005 02:36 PM
Harry Haller and five rap songs only with Bernard, Mick and Chuck.
March 14th, 2005 02:38 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
glencar wrote:
I was just kidding. I'd rather hear Bill Wyman's solo stuff again!

You know, Papa Smurf never really gets upset. But at that moment, I was afraid he was going to concoct some sort of cursed potion in that pot of his!
March 14th, 2005 02:43 PM
glencar I hope they have many b-sides.
March 14th, 2005 02:54 PM
Jair
quote:
Harry Haller wrote:
Loved "Don't Stop", great song, probably the best since Satisfaction. But for some reason sounded like it was written for a commercial.

You have to listen Rice Crispies
March 14th, 2005 02:59 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Jair wrote:

You have to listen Rice Crispies

Here it is:

http://members.chello.nl/f.dejonge/rc.ram
[Edited by MrPleasant]
March 14th, 2005 07:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Harry Haller wrote:
Loved "Don't Stop", great song, probably the best since Satisfaction. But for some reason sounded like it was written for a commercial.

Don't Stop was ok, but I don't want 10 songs like that!
March 15th, 2005 03:01 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Don't Stop was ok, but I don't want 10 songs like that!

Soldatti,
That is to be taken with a salt block....not just a simple grain. I just listened to the radio interview not five minutes ago. The ONLY reason Don't Stop was ever brought up was the host used it as an example when asking if Ronnie could compare the new material to anything recent. Ronnie said "I guess you could say there is some Don't Stop stuff in there and said it should be interesting". He also went on to say he didn't want to say too much because it would be no fun. It was clear he was answering those questions concerning the Stones current activities in a very round-about sort of way. No worries it means nothing. He was practically swayed into using Don't Stop as an example and it didn't appear at all that that is what he had in mind but took it because the host asked if this was a good example as a comparison with the new stuff. I hope you may of read my post concerning Ronnie's history of saying what an album is like before it comes out. Also take note that he is a musician. What is similar to you and I can be completely different from a musicians standpoint.

Ronnie also stated part of the reason for his recent jamming sessions all over the place was to "sharpen his licks", as he put it for getting it on with The Stones. Not only for the current studio endevors to be executed with them, but for the tour upcoming as well he stated. It was all good.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood