ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panamá City Airport, Panamá - 2001
© From the Cucho Peñaloza Archives!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones to Play Fenway Park Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 12th, 2005 01:06 PM
winter Hola,

I haven't posted in forever and a day. But this morning while picking up groceries, I noticed the front page of the Boston Courant - a local boston neighborhood newspaper.

On the cover was Mr. Mick F#*kin' Jagger with a headline that read "The Rolling Stones to Play Fenway!"

The articles says that the Red Sox applied for a concert permit for Sunday Aug 21 and Tuesday, Aug 23. The hearing is March 30th at Boston City Hall.

The articles goes on to say that "reliable sources" told the Courant that the Stones are the band for theses dates, but it is not a matter of public record yet. The article also says that these shows will be the kick off for the tour.

While Springsteen and Buffet have played Fenway in recent years, I would caution your excitement, as the neighborhood associations in beantown weild a lot of power. The fenway association is a bunch of whiny bastards who chose to live near a base ball stadium / national treasure, yet constantly complain about noise and traffic.

It doesn't appear that any major papers picked this up. But this is not surprising, as the Courant has more connections on matters that affect "neighborhoods". Time will tell if this is the real deal or not.

Peace out hommies,
March 12th, 2005 01:21 PM
glencar Wow, so for once a rumor may turn out to be true. That's two tours in a row starting in America's rundown metropolis.
March 12th, 2005 01:24 PM
winter boston, run down? perhaps you stayed in the wrong part of town?
March 12th, 2005 01:34 PM
stickyturd Chowd (n) : (short for chowderhead) an uneducated, alcoholic Boston moron. Many can be found working in cement factories in Roxbury. These people hate blacks and are insanely jealous of New York, resulting in small man's syndrome off the charts. Became Patriots fans in 2001 and Red Sox fans in 2004.
March 12th, 2005 01:43 PM
glencar
quote:
winter wrote:
boston, run down? perhaps you stayed in the wrong part of town?

winter, I stayed down the street from you.
March 12th, 2005 01:46 PM
littleredrooster I thought it was 'Chowdahhead'
March 12th, 2005 01:47 PM
glencar I haven't been at Fenway for a long time (2 decades) but I remember the nosebleed seats with little affection.
March 12th, 2005 01:57 PM
winter Stickyturd and Glencar,

Thanks for the warm welcome back to the board.

If you knew anything about me, you'd realize how silly your comments are.

In any event, I hope some people on this board find the "news" contained in my earlier post interesting, if it is in fact correct.

Enjoy your day/evening-

winter
March 12th, 2005 01:58 PM
glencar Man, relax. Everyone's so goddammed touchy these days. Maybe I need a fucking break...
March 12th, 2005 02:06 PM
nankerphelge Hey stranger!

Another Boston opener!!!

Uh oh.

March 12th, 2005 02:08 PM
glencar winter, check pm.
March 12th, 2005 02:10 PM
winter Man,

Thnx, but I am relaxed. I'm just not really in the mood for a transatlantic or boston/NY pissing match today. I don't take this stuff personally, but I also don't perpetuate it.

I just drop in here from time to time to get some news, when there is some, on my favorite band. Thought I'd return the favor today.

Btw, I actually think fenway is a shitty place to see a show, it is just not the right configuration. And with the fenway neighborhood association, there is a good chance the show won't be there anyway. But I am pumped that the tour could be starting as early as August.

Cheers,

wintah

March 12th, 2005 02:19 PM
winter Glencar, I replid to your pm. Nanky, good to hear from you. Btw, I lost your contact info, as I moved to another place that occupies most of my waking hours. PM me with your info when you get a chance.

Got to run,
March 12th, 2005 02:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
winter wrote:
Hola,

I haven't posted in forever and a day. But this morning while picking up groceries, I noticed the front page of the Boston Courant - a local boston neighborhood newspaper.

On the cover was Mr. Mick F#*kin' Jagger with a headline that read "The Rolling Stones to Play Fenway!"

The articles says that the Red Sox applied for a concert permit for Sunday Aug 21 and Tuesday, Aug 23. The hearing is March 30th at Boston City Hall.

The articles goes on to say that "reliable sources" told the Courant that the Stones are the band for theses dates, but it is not a matter of public record yet. The article also says that these shows will be the kick off for the tour.

While Springsteen and Buffet have played Fenway in recent years, I would caution your excitement, as the neighborhood associations in beantown weild a lot of power. The fenway association is a bunch of whiny bastards who chose to live near a base ball stadium / national treasure, yet constantly complain about noise and traffic.

It doesn't appear that any major papers picked this up. But this is not surprising, as the Courant has more connections on matters that affect "neighborhoods". Time will tell if this is the real deal or not.

Peace out hommies,

thanks for the info.

There has been a rumour going around about a Fenway show for a few weeks as a tour opener, which the person who started it based on the fact that there is a ten day "window" from August 15th to the 25th where there is nothing scheduled at the stadium (during the baseball season, would I be right in saying that NOT having a single game at the stadium for that long would be almost unheard of?). That period would give the band time to set up, rehearsae, play the show(s) and then dismantle the stage again afterwards.

My main doubts about it are :

1) I think it's a little early. Everything I've heard about this tour so far indicates a start in the first week of September. However this info seems to give concrete dates so it could be that they were only able to get these dates and do intend to bring it forward.

2) There might be objections to them using the venue for several days to do final rehearsals and then one or two shows. I could understand it if it was somewhere outside the city but isnt Fenway in a residential area and they really had to get a LOT of assurances to get permission for Springsteen and Jimmy Buffet as the stadium isnt traditionally used for concerts? If the Stones are going to be there for, say, 5 nights in a row rehearsing and THEN performing, the authorities might baulk at that.
March 12th, 2005 02:21 PM
winter Gazza,

I agree with your doubts - there is no way they will be able to rehearse there for five days.

Got to run, when I get back on Monday, I'll try to figure out a way to scan the article, if I can.

cheers,
[Edited by winter]
March 12th, 2005 02:22 PM
littleredrooster Red Sox could be on a road trip during this time!
March 12th, 2005 02:28 PM
winter It is not a number of days issue, it's the local residents -they made buffett play at lower volumes, earlier and on non-"school" nights - which is fine because the imo the lower the volume for buffett, the better.

They will never go for 7 nights of rehearsals / shows for the stones.
March 12th, 2005 02:52 PM
littleredrooster If it is the first show of the coming tour, soundchecks would most likely have to be extensive
March 12th, 2005 03:25 PM
Gazza usually for the first show, they have the stadium in use for 3-4 days beforehand, with a couple of full length dress rehearsals

So, even if they were playing two concerts, they'd effectively be playing at least four (two without an audience) plus numerous soundchecks etc. Quite a lot for a residential area which does seem to have problems getting permission from the locals to stage concerts. Much of that activity would be on weeknights.

Springsteen played there in September 2003 in the middle of his summer tour, over two successive nights - on a weekend (Saturday/Sunday), so I doubt there would have been much disruption by comparison outside of the two nights when the concerts took place.

Roostah - as someone who doesnt know much about the way the fixtures work in a baseball season, is it normal for a baseball team to have a road trip THAT long and to go ten days without any home games at the height of the season? I got the impression that each Major League team played something like 160 games a season, so would be playing maybe 3 or 4 games a week
March 12th, 2005 03:32 PM
Gazza Red Sox schedule for August 2005 :

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=bos&m=8&y=2005

I guess that answers my question about the length of 'road trips'! Seems that in baseball its normal to have a full week of home games and then a week or games away from home!

I'm obviously used more to schedules of other sports where you wouldnt have so many games home or away in succession
March 12th, 2005 03:34 PM
glencar More like 6 games a week, Gazza but half the games are played on the road. A "west Coast road trip" takes about 10-12 days because there are 3 or 4 teams & each stand is 3 or 4 nights. Some road trips can be for 3 weeks although that's rare.
March 12th, 2005 03:39 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:
I haven't been at Fenway for a long time (2 decades) but I remember the nosebleed seats with little affection.

those nosebleed seats--even the worst of them--are better than 40% of the seats at the Bronx Zoo
March 12th, 2005 03:41 PM
glencar You really are a jackass, aren't you? Some of us were joking earlier but you're just an idiot.
March 12th, 2005 05:13 PM
Bob Tamp Come on , and play nice guys and gals

Hey, if Im stuck with a stadium show I would rather do Fenway than Gillete.
It took about 4 hours to get out the god damned parking lot after the Licks show. Fenway would be much better for travel, drinks, you name it. I say bring it on.
March 12th, 2005 05:16 PM
glencar I say bring it on.

The last guy who said that lost embarrassingly. But yes, Fenway would be better than Gillette.
March 12th, 2005 05:56 PM
stickyturd glencar, I don't know what you're talking about.

Mission Accomplished, right?

...right?
March 12th, 2005 06:57 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle [quote]Gazza wrote:
usually for the first show, they have the stadium in use for 3-4 days beforehand, with a couple of full length dress rehearsals

The '89 tour opened at Veterans Stadium in Philly.
Rehearsals were across the way at JFK Stadium.

Maybe they can avoid angrying up the neighborhood and woodshed the full stage show somewhere nearby.

And wouldn't a surprise show across Landsdowne at The Avalon be nice...

[Edited by Left Shoe Shuffle]
March 12th, 2005 11:15 PM
Poplar
1 - this is the best thread in ages.

2 - i, for one, see this as confirmation. It's early september. I expect the album in August.

March 13th, 2005 01:10 AM
Dan I dont see anything anywhere suggesting it would be the tour opener. If it is in fact that Stones applying to play there, that is.
March 13th, 2005 01:45 AM
CraigP
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
Chowd (n) : (short for chowderhead) an uneducated, alcoholic Boston moron. Many can be found working in cement factories in Roxbury. These people hate blacks and are insanely jealous of New York, resulting in small man's syndrome off the charts. Became Patriots fans in 2001 and Red Sox fans in 2004.

I have lived in Boston for 18 years and if you knew anything about it you would know that the black population, in Roxbury, outnumbers the white by a large sum. To stereotype Boston as black-haters is absurd.
Boston loves the Sox.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood