ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panamá City Airport, Panamá - 2001
© From the Cucho Peñaloza Archives!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Video Footage from 78 Return to archive
March 11th, 2005 01:26 PM
wellwell So what is out there?

I have seen some people talking about Fort Worth 78. There seems to be six songs floating around. Or is it 8?

What about Atlanta 78? Chicago?

Do I remember a rumor of there being a 4Reels or Jointrip release coming up of 78 stuff?

Aside from the SNL performance, what is confirmed to be in existence?

March 11th, 2005 01:29 PM
nankerphelge Yeah?!

What exactly is out there from the greatest tour ever???
March 11th, 2005 01:48 PM
jpenn11 From someone's list (not mine):

78 Ft. Worth 7/18 Partial (1st 7 songs) (1 DVD) B
78 Ft. Worth upgrade (1 DVD) A
78 “Fort Worth (Deluxe Edition) Jointrip 6 songs + interviews (1 DVD) A-
78 “Handsome Girls 78” (Ft W 78 & SNL Rehearsals) (1 DVD) B-78 “Saturday Night Live Complete” by Jointrip JTDV-008 (1 DVD) A
79 Oshawa, Ontario CNIBC Concert "The Sentence Show" Oshawa, 78 Chicago 75 LA Varies B to D
March 11th, 2005 01:59 PM
wellwell Has anyone seen the Fort Worth footage and can comment on the quality? How about the SNL rehearsals?

So the Atlanta show is only a rumor or has anyone has seen it?

I suppose the serious collectors do not stop by RO.

It looks like FW is what is in general circulation.

And on another related topic. Does anyone remember a video boot called Hot As Hell? As a teenager, a friend's older brother had it. I remember being mesmerized by Fingerprint File. I thought it said on it that it was Buffalo 75, but now I think it was the LA 75 footage.

Who is the resident boot expert?

March 11th, 2005 04:02 PM
Gazza >I suppose the serious collectors do not stop by RO.

yeah, sure!!

Uh..theres a lot more to this site than a message board, and if you saw enough of the shows being offered as B&P's or trees, thats a pretty amazing generalisation of 2,500 registered users!

Whats listed above is basically all there is from '78 with the exception of the full show from New Orleans, which is a 2-camera film. Never seen or heard of a low gen copy of it, though.

theres also 4 songs of raw NBC news footage from Chicago'78 (1 camera, filmed from the side),only a few clips of which were included in the broadcast

[Edited by Gazza]
March 11th, 2005 04:32 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I suppose the serious collectors do not stop by RO.

yeah, sure!!

Uh..theres a lot more to this site than a message board, and if you saw enough of the shows being offered as B&P's or trees, thats a pretty amazing generalisation of 2,500 registered users!

Whats listed above is basically all there is from '78 with the exception of the full show from New Orleans, which is a 2-camera film. Never seen or heard of a low gen copy of it, though.

theres also 4 songs of raw NBC news footage from Chicago'78 (1 camera, filmed from the side),only a few clips of which were included in the broadcast

[Edited by Gazza]

Dont let em get ya down Gazza, there are plenty of resident boot experts on this board as well as serious collectors. I have a video copy of Hot as Hell and it is from LA i believe, not a bad one, i actually found this at a local video store a few years back.

It is only natural for their to be a low response to a boot collection when the members of the board are insulted for their lack of knowledge or seriousness of their collections. THanks for standing up for us all the Gazza!
March 11th, 2005 07:13 PM
wellwell Oh. I did not mean any offense. I was not trying to insult anyone.

I had been reading some LZ forums at Royal Orleans and some of those posters know what is generally circulating, what is in the hands of serious collectors, and what prized possesions are in the hands of the elite few. It is fascinating.

I know there are many great collectors who come here and resident boot experts. I have gotten a few wonderful B+P's off this board.

I just wanted to tap into the knowledge.

Is there a circulating DVD of New Orleans?

Thanks for all the info about Fort Worth, New Orleans, and Chicago. And Hot as Hell. You guys are great.
[Edited by wellwell]
March 11th, 2005 07:23 PM
Gazza Its ok...it was a bit of mock offence on my part..lol

I would imagine new orleans 78 has circulated on DVD (I have it on video). I wouldnt recommend it, though. Its pretty crappy. Maybe some day a copy with good picture and decent sound will circulate

The Fort worth copy now in circulation on DVD is definitely better than what was on video for many years

The Atlanta 78 video/DVD is a myth.

Wellwell - are you Gearoid from Limerick? (I know he uses a few names on here). If it is, I can bring you a copy of the Fort Worth DVD with me to London on Sunday.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 12th, 2005 02:28 AM
wellwell Gazza

I wish I was going to see Ronnie. I am in NYC. Alas.

Thanks for the info on Atlanta. I had seen a rumor that it was filmed.

A shame that there is no great footage circulating of 78. Maybe someday the whole of Ft Worth will appear.

Well we can hope. I hold out that there is a Stones '78 equivalent to the Who Houston '75 or the Zep Knebworth '79 videos that have surfaced recently in excellent quality.
[Edited by wellwell]
March 12th, 2005 02:29 AM
littleredrooster Careful Gazza, this could be a trick !
March 12th, 2005 02:37 AM
beer The live '78 stuff FUCKING RULES!

%%
March 12th, 2005 02:38 AM
wellwell A trick? Not really.

I am just curious what circulates.
March 12th, 2005 05:08 AM
jimi sheltre the best tour ever was '72 ,I SAW THE '78 tour at Anaheim stadium ,the only show out of nine tours I've seen that sucked people were throwing their shoes at the Band. So the Stones have the distinction of being both the best and worst band I've ever seen
March 12th, 2005 06:07 AM
Jumping Jack Got a short segment of Anahiem recently. This is what I have seen on DVD:

78 New Orleans 7/13 Pro Shot (1 DVD) B-
78 New Orleans 7/13 complete show (1 DVD) D
78 Ft. Worth 7/18 Partial (1st 7 songs) (1 DVD) B
78 Anaheim 7/24 20 min with overdubbed sound Audience Shot shaky & blurry (1 DVD) C PAL
78 “Fort Worth (Deluxe Edition) Jointrip 6 songs + interviews (1 DVD) A-
“Handsome Girls 78” (Ft W 78 & SNL Rehearsals) (1 DVD) B-
78 “Saturday Night Live Complete” by Jointrip (1 DVD) A

Handsome Girls 78 and Ft Worth Deluxe are the best ones to trade for.

March 12th, 2005 06:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
wellwell wrote:
Gazza

I wish I was going to see Ronnie. I am in NYC. Alas.

Thanks for the info on Atlanta. I had seen a rumor that it was filmed.

A shame that there is no great footage circulating of 78. Maybe someday the whole of Ft Worth will appear.

Well we can hope. I hold out that there is a Stones '78 equivalent to the Who Houston '75 or the Zep Knebworth '79 videos that have surfaced recently in excellent quality.
[Edited by wellwell]

no prob. Thought you were someone else

Fort worth WAS filmed in full for an unreleased "ladies and gentlemen" concert movie. Only the first half hour circulates. I wouldnt rule out the possibility of the whole show circulating at some point - after all, for over about 17 years those 6 songs were all that circulated from this show on either audio or video - and then the soundboard of the whole gig came out on "handsome girls".
March 12th, 2005 11:20 AM
mac_daddy speaking of 78, has anybody heard this boot..?

"where the green grass grows" - recorded june 21, 1978 in hampton, va
March 12th, 2005 12:01 PM
monkeyman62 you know that on the complete works web site
it says that one of the anaheim shows was shot
complete pro shot, and he is usualy right about
his sources, maybe it will come around one day
he also listed a couple of other pro shot 78 also
other than fort worth and new orleans, just cant recall
right now
March 12th, 2005 01:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
monkeyman62 wrote:
you know that on the complete works web site
it says that one of the anaheim shows was shot
complete pro shot, and he is usualy right about
his sources, maybe it will come around one day
he also listed a couple of other pro shot 78 also
other than fort worth and new orleans, just cant recall
right now

he lists that there are rumoured to be pro shots of Memphis, Lexington, Houston, Oakland and the full Fort Worth show and private films of Atlanta and Anaheim . However they arent doing much good if they're not circulating!
[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
March 12th, 2005 01:46 PM
glencar Nothing from Passaic, NJ show?
March 12th, 2005 01:57 PM
monkeyman62 I understand that gazza, but a least there is a glimmer
of hope
March 12th, 2005 06:07 PM
wellwell Where did the Stones play in Houston in 78?

The Who Houston Summit DVD was taken from the in house video system. Apparently there were video monitors in different locations around the venue so that even if you were not in the arena, say waiting in line for a soda, you could still watch the show. This was all supposed to be a state of the art concert going experience. Someone taped the show off the video feed and the tape had barely circulated until recently when it came out on DVD.

I think for those of us that love the Handsome Girls set, the hope is something similar will happen eventually with a 78 performance. I mean there is not much hope for a Europe 70, Australia 73 or Europe 73 show coming out on DVD. But 78 does seem to have been documented, there just has not been any complete performance that has leaked out
March 12th, 2005 07:42 PM
Gazza Stones '78 show was Sam Houston Coliseum

it seems a lot of the 'rumoured' pro shot videos coincide with shows that were also taped for radio broadcast (Houston, memphis, lexington). Detroit was also used for the radio broadcasts, of course

the Who/Houston DVD was offered here a while back. Its great stuff
March 12th, 2005 08:49 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nothing from Passaic, NJ show?

i just listened to a vinyl-sourced flac set of that gig that is pretty solid...

nobody has heard the hampton show..?
March 12th, 2005 08:55 PM
wellwell I saw that Hampton boot on ebay but I did not bite. I have not heard it. I do think it is rare because it is not one of the usual 78 gigs you see out there.

An old Hot Wacks guide would have a review. Or maybe the new site does but I am not a subscriber.
[Edited by wellwell]
March 12th, 2005 09:17 PM
Gazza all of the 1978 shows are in circulation and easy to get. Hampton is listenable, but nothing special

The only incomplete recordings are Boulder (only 65 minutes in circulation) and the first 14 songs from St Louis (about 70 mins), although the final song on the Passaic soundboard is incomplete - apparently because the guy who was taping it from the mixing desk was almost caught doing so and hastily pulled his tape from the machine just after the start of "Street fighting man"!

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood