ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panamá City Airport, Panamá - 2001
© From the Cucho Peñaloza Archives!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones in Morrocco Return to archive
March 10th, 2005 10:20 PM
BrotherM
Hey gang i hear tell their is a DVD somewhere out their a documentary on the Rolling Stones visit to Morrocco to record Continental Drift at The Palace of Ben Abbou with Master Musicians from JaJouka i´d love to get a copy....can anybody help Please
March 11th, 2005 09:13 AM
Gazza It would be copied from the BBC "Arena - Rhythms of the world" special broadcast on 10th December 1989.

Fascinating documentary!
March 11th, 2005 11:26 AM
BrotherM
Thanx OK i beleive BBC broadcast this i will try to google " Arena - Rhythms of the World " & see if i move any closer to getting the DVD.I´ve always been fascinated by Morocco & Music of Morocco & Rolling Stones.
On hearing "Continental Drift" 1st time it blew my mind in the most delightfull way
March 11th, 2005 11:27 AM
Gazza Its one of my all time top 5 or 6 Stones songs.

Best thing theyve done in the last 3 decades in my opinion
March 11th, 2005 05:13 PM
HellsRollingThunder I have a copy of the CD of Brian Jones's Moroccan music of the
Joujouka music. I wonder how can a person tell one song from
another. It all sounds like screaching pipes to me or belly
dancing music. I must be missing something. It sounds like real
high screaching bagpipes or something. What is the attraction
unless you grew up with it or heard other Moroccan music?
Please help.
March 11th, 2005 10:19 PM
BrotherM Ya gotta listen to the moanin & chanting & hand clappin as well as the amazing drumwork & yeah it helps to grow up in or chill out for awhile in the boonies suck on some Moroccan herb & open up the gates let go entirely give yrself up to the Music. All of the songs on the Brian Jones recordings are meer snippets of songs that can go on for anywhere to a few minutes to hours & hours & hours until you are sucked into this vortex of sound rythm all chakra centers OPEN/ON not just yr brain but yr heart & crotch as well....Also there is some flanging studio effects etc. going on Brians JaJouka Recordings that was/is quite unecessary....the album is precious to me & Brian being Brian was recording World Music before the biz/media even thought up the name. I recommend listening to different forms of Morrocan music from different times & different regions & accquaint yrself with the various colors nuances Magick of the Music....like Blues for ex. it can be an acquired taste but hey ya gotta dive for the Pearl

P.S. I highly recommend googling or search Master Musicians JaJouka & bone up on some of the history of the village/music you will gain valuable/interesting insights into the oldest Rock n Roll Band in the World ...they have a website ...jazz saxaphonist Ornette Coleman visited & jammed with them in the late 50´s & recordings were made ( maybe hard to locate them ) Lee Renaldo from Sonic Youth visited also & recorded & put out a beautyfull chapbook about his visit...Brion Gysin was a early freind of the Master Musicians & introduced Ornette Coleman , Brian Jones , William S. Burroughs & others to the music/musicians & brought them to Jajouka for the 1st time...Brion Gysin & William Burroughs have written some valuable insights into the music/musicians/history of JaJouka...RESEARCH published a issue devoted to Gysin & Burroughs that i recommend & Terry Wilson published a book of interveiws with Brion Gysin both of these publications shed valuable light on the subject as well. Search & you will find several Cds available of the Music of Jajouka by themselves & in collaboration with others like Bill Laswell ( google

Infinite Rockin Blessings

[Edited by BrotherM]
March 12th, 2005 03:21 PM
icydanger

would love to see or hear that drift
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood