ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1969 Robert Altman with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sissified Stones Return to archive
16th March 2007 01:49 AM
White House Lawn Many of us bitch about STREETS OF LOVE, but the Stones have been doing (unfortunately) "sissified" tunes for years--probably going all the way back to ANGIE.

Pound for pound, I'd say that VOODOO LOUNGE has more "sissy" tunes than any other release:

NEW FACES
OUT OF TEARS
SWEETHEARTS TOGETHER
BLINDED BY RAINBOWS
BABY BREAK IT DOWN

[Edited by White House Lawn]
16th March 2007 02:03 AM
Fadeout_Freedom I like Baby Break it Down...

On the other hand, If You Really Want to Be My Friend and Till The Next Goodbye just kill IORR for me
16th March 2007 03:31 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Fadeout_Freedom wrote:
I like Baby Break it Down...

On the other hand, If You Really Want to Be My Friend and Till The Next Goodbye just kill IORR for me

Really?? Not me.
16th March 2007 07:13 AM
egon
quote:
White House Lawn wrote:
SWEETHEARTS TOGETHER
BLINDED BY RAINBOWS

very bad
16th March 2007 10:40 AM
White House Lawn I love the slow tunes on IORR!

The first one that strikes me as being a bit "cheesy" is probably FOOL TO CRY (even though I like it).
16th March 2007 10:44 AM
jb You can't compare a great ballad like "Angie" to the crap they have released more recently....They always have recorded some great ballads(see Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile, Fool to Cry, etc)....unfortunately, the modern day ballads are very weak with the exception of Blinded by Rainbows...Mick and Keith can't even write a good rock song anymore let alone a good ballad.
16th March 2007 10:50 AM
White House Lawn I should probably give BLINDED another chance, since it seems popular here--I haven't listened to all of VOODOO for quite some time.

16th March 2007 10:57 AM
_Boomy_ Maybe they don't do it (write "great" songs) anymore because they don't have to or they really don't have to try?

The touring brings in all the dinero, right amigos? I'm wondering if they look at a tour as a promotion for ALL of their albums, not just the one they throw on the shelves when a tour hits. These guys don't hang out with each other like they used to. Even when they hit it big and weren't necessarily hanging out with each other (i.e. living together in apartments and what not), they still had more camaraderie. The group element probably dwindled around 1980, and it probably wasn't even that great of a group element.

The simple truth is that they don't have to do their best job and they still manage to please or dissatisfy us, whether it's the latest studio recording or a recent show. The feeling I get is that they look at the studio as more of a chore than as an outlet or release. The studio is a mere detour on the inteniary when they have touring plans, IMO. I don't even think Keith likes to be in the studio anymore.

I like a lot of the ballads (or slower tunes) pre- 1983. The stuff after it is hit or miss with me.
16th March 2007 11:06 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
jb wrote:
You can't compare a great ballad like "Angie" to the crap they have released more recently....They always have recorded some great ballads(see Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile, Fool to Cry, etc)....unfortunately, the modern day ballads are very weak with the exception of Blinded by Rainbows...Mick and Keith can't even write a good rock song anymore let alone a good ballad.

Side Two of "Tattoo You" has some of the most soulful stuff recorded by these guys. Great stuff.
16th March 2007 12:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Figure out something to say already and know who to thank. Its not that hard.

16th March 2007 02:16 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Figure out something to say already and know who to thank. Its not that hard.

Who is this directed at? Me?
16th March 2007 02:20 PM
glencar The Stones have always recorded ballads. Remember As Tears Go By? Totally sissified. I agree that the ballads on VL totally suck, even the ones people here said they liked. But as noted, Side 2 of Tattoo You is soulful & gorgeous. SOL is quite catchy, especially live. This might be the 3rd dumbest thread started today!
16th March 2007 02:21 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
This might be the 3rd dumbest thread started today!

the Wolfie birthday thread is going to be huge!
16th March 2007 02:23 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
glencar wrote:
This might be the 3rd dumbest thread started today!

RO doin' all right then.

Anyway, you're right about B-side of Tattoo and SOL live. Sissified can be good. Most of VL is bad though.
16th March 2007 02:23 PM
glencar And then there's one called My 2 cents...
16th March 2007 02:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

RO doin' all right then.

we put the fun in dysfunctional!!
16th March 2007 02:25 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
we put the fun in dysfunctional!!

OMG, whahaha! We do. Great slogan. Yours?
16th March 2007 02:28 PM
glencar
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

RO doin' all right then.

Anyway, you're right about B-side of Tattoo and SOL live. Sissified can be good. Most of VL is bad though.

On second thought, this might be the dumbest thread started today...at least until others started posting on it.
16th March 2007 02:30 PM
Angiegirl And by 'others' you mean us right? Not the little voices inside your head? 'STOP it!'
16th March 2007 02:33 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

OMG, whahaha! We do. Great slogan. Yours?

I'm relatively new here
16th March 2007 02:33 PM
White House Lawn "On second thought, this might be the dumbest thread started today...at least until others started posting on it."

I'm glad to be of service! LOL
16th March 2007 02:34 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
glencar wrote:
On second thought, this might be the dumbest thread started today...at least until others started posting on it.

Maybe it'd be better if you substituted "Pussified" for "Sissified" and "Beatles" for "Stones"?
16th March 2007 02:36 PM
White House Lawn I probably should have just called it "Stones Ballads" but geez, that sounds kind of dull! : )
16th March 2007 02:37 PM
Angiegirl It would be fitting.
16th March 2007 02:39 PM
glencar the voices in my head just won't stop!!!!!
16th March 2007 02:39 PM
White House Lawn "Is everything all right in the critic's section?"

: )
16th March 2007 02:41 PM
glencar And for what it's worth? Those 2 ballads from IORR? They ROCK!
16th March 2007 02:41 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
glencar wrote:
the voices in my head just won't stop!!!!!

16th March 2007 02:42 PM
glencar LOL
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)