ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1969 Robert Altman with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RNRHOF Pics Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
13th March 2007 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Perhaps it would have been better if she'd selected:

Revolution
Give Peace A Chance
All You Need Is Love
or
Imagine.

Jeez Josh, I really thought you'd be pleased that she at least gives props to the Stones.

LJ.

Justin Timberlake gave props to them as well...should I start dancing to "Sexy" in a pair of spandex pants?
13th March 2007 11:30 AM
BuckBuckBucky Has Keith ever missed a HOF? He seems to be a perpetual figure (along w/ Paul Schaeffer).

Also, Art imitating life imiatating Art ad infinite,Keith seems to be turning into Johnny Depp who of course was influenced by Keith and so on and so on....
13th March 2007 11:31 AM
Gazza I suppose that to avoid any favouritism or bias, she should have just covered "Streets of Love" thereby managing to offend ALL Stones fans equally in the process
13th March 2007 11:32 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:

Justin Timberlake gave props to them as well...should I start dancing to "Sexy" in a pair of spandex pants?

Only if you post pics.
13th March 2007 11:34 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I suppose that to avoid any favouritism or bias, she should have just covered "Streets of Love" thereby managing to offend ALL Stones fans equally in the process

The one salient point is that some who heard the performance said it was bad......
13th March 2007 11:35 AM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Only if you post pics.

Saint Sway jb is not making any sense. Very Pug-esque today.

maybe he had a stroke?
GotToRollMe And speaking of "opinions"...

From yesterday's N.Y. Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/opinion/12smith.html_r=1&oref=slogin

Ain't It Strange?

By PATTI SMITH
Published: March 12, 2007

ON a cold morning in 1955, walking to Sunday school, I was drawn to the voice of Little Richard wailing "Tutti Frutti" from the interior of a local boy's makeshift clubhouse. So powerful was the connection that I let go of my mother's hand.

Rock 'n' roll. It drew me from my path to a sea of possibilities. It sheltered and shattered me, from the end of childhood through a painful adolescence. I had my first altercation with my father when the Rolling Stones made their debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show." (See Brainbell Jangler's post Here.) Rock 'n' roll was mine to defend. It strengthened my hand and gave me a sense of tribe as I boarded a bus from South Jersey to freedom in 1967.

Rock 'n' roll, at that time, was a fusion of intimacies. Repression bloomed into rapture like raging weeds shooting through cracks in the cement. Our music provided a sense of communal activism. Our artists provoked our ascension into awareness as we ran amok in a frenzied state of grace.

My late husband, Fred Sonic Smith, then of Detroit's MC5, was a part of the brotherhood instrumental in forging a revolution: seeking to save the world with love and the electric guitar. He created aural autonomy yet did not have the constitution to survive all the complexities of existence.

Before he died, in the winter of 1994, he counseled me to continue working. He believed that one day I would be recognized for my efforts and though I protested, he quietly asked me to accept what was bestowed - gracefully - in his name.

Today I will join R.E.M., the Ronettes, Van Halen and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. On the eve of this event I asked myself many questions. Should an artist working within the revolutionary landscape of rock accept laurels from an institution? Should laurels be offered? Am I a worthy recipient?

I have wrestled with these questions and my conscience leads me back to Fred and those like him - the maverick souls who may never be afforded such honors. Thus in his name I will accept with gratitude. Fred Sonic Smith was of the people, and I am none but him: one who has loved rock 'n' roll and crawled from the ranks to the stage, to salute history and plant seeds for the erratic magic landscape of the new guard.

Because its members will be the guardians of our cultural voice. The Internet is their CBGB. Their territory is global. They will dictate how they want to create and disseminate their work. They will, in time, make breathless changes in our political process. They have the technology to unite and create a new party, to be vigilant in their choice of candidates, unfettered by corporate pressure. Their potential power to form and reform is unprecedented.

Human history abounds with idealistic movements that rise, then fall in disarray. The children of light. The journey to the East. The summer of love. The season of grunge. But just as we seem to repeat our follies, we also abide.

Rock 'n' roll drew me from my mother's hand and led me to experience. In the end it was my neighbors who put everything in perspective. An approving nod from the old Italian woman who sells me pasta. A high five from the postman. An embrace from the notary and his wife. And a shout from the sanitation man driving down my street: "Hey, Patti, Hall of Fame. One for us."

I just smiled, and I noticed I was proud. One for the neighborhood. My parents. My band. One for Fred. And anybody else who wants to come along.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
13th March 2007 11:38 AM
jb Seems very forced and phony....she seems embarrassed to be accepting the honor and justifying it as doing it not for the kids, but the common man...laudable!!
[Edited by jb]
13th March 2007 11:40 AM
Saint Sway jb, you didnt even see the show, so zip it.
13th March 2007 11:42 AM
keefkid i cannot even look at Patti Smith without seeing Candy Slice and bursting into uncontrolled laughter ... dam you gilda...lmao

i like the mustache... and nobody has mentioned his performance at the final jam, i thought he was fantastic...

he looks healthy and happy and ready to go, wasnt planning on Europe but im re-thinking my plans now lol
13th March 2007 11:45 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
jb, you didnt even see the show, so zip it.

Please don't tell me to zip it...Gazza and I go way back and we don't allow our personal friendship to be effected by our musical or political disagreements ...we are both big boys and can agree to disagree....
13th March 2007 11:47 AM
LadyJane Thanks for posting the speech GTRM.
Classic Patti.
Love it.

Somebody get me a copy of this show. Please.

LJ.
13th March 2007 11:48 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Please don't tell me to zip it...Gazza and I go way back and we don't allow our personal friendship to be effected by our musical or political disagreements ...we are both big boys and can agree to disagree....

that may well be, but you're still talking out of your ass
13th March 2007 11:52 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

that may well be, but you're still talking out of your ass

You are relatively new here, and I usually don't bother responding your posts...I certainly refrain from making comments like "you're still talking out of your ass"...but if you wish to have that kind of relationship, that is your decision....

[Edited by jb]
13th March 2007 11:54 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Thanks for posting the speech GTRM.
Classic Patti.
Love it.

Somebody get me a copy of this show. Please.

LJ.

I don't think that was her speech (though it would have made a good one, LJ). It's just a matter of time before it shows up on YouTube and then one or two of the "pirate" torrent sites (not that I'd know anything about that kind of stuff...ahem).

13th March 2007 11:56 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
keefkid wrote:
i cannot even look at Patti Smith without seeing Candy Slice and bursting into uncontrolled laughter ... dam you gilda...lmao

i like the mustache... and nobody has mentioned his performance at the final jam, i thought he was fantastic...

he looks healthy and happy and ready to go, wasnt planning on Europe but im re-thinking my plans now lol

LOL...I remember "Candy Slice" too! Gilda was peerless!
13th March 2007 11:58 AM
pdog Patti's speech was very emotional for her, and it could be felt. The induction of a hip hop group was also very cool. black music has always been at the roots of rock and roll. definitely not the other way around, you don't see much music coming out of the white ghettos... There's exceptions... Art and expression through music is the best thing, in GMF and The Furious 5's case, this was perfect, they were forerunners, and started a movement and genre that has blown up. You don't have to like the music to see it's popularity, and you don't have to like it to repect that many involved are artists, only ignorant idiots write it off. Rapping is poetry and hip hop is just black people proving once again, that white people want to be black, and copy them, just like with Jazz, blues and rock and roll. How fitting that Patti performed rock and roll nigger!
13th March 2007 12:04 PM
_Boomy_ I watched the simulcast on VH1 Classic. The version of "Gimme Shelter" sucked. Plain and simple.

It's like when people here go to Stones shows or see them on TV. You can make a judgement call based on how someone performs. It doesn't mean that they didn't do a version of something better at another performance. Not everything the Stones have performed has been gold.

Musicians have off-nights, right? She had an off-night. It was all off. The vocals were just really, really bad.
13th March 2007 12:06 PM
jb
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
I watched the simulcast on VH1 Classic. The version of "Gimme Shelter" sucked. Plain and simple.

It's like when people here go to Stones shows or see them on TV. You can make a judgement call based on how someone performs. It doesn't mean that they didn't do a version of something better at another performance. Not everything the Stones have performed has been gold.

Musicians have off-nights, right? She had an off-night. It was all off. The vocals were just really, really bad.

Thanks so much Boomy!!!!
13th March 2007 12:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

You are relatively new here

if you bother to look at our "registered" dates you'll clearly see that I registered one month after you

jb

Saint Sway
13th March 2007 12:47 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

if you bother to look at our "registered" dates you'll clearly see that I registered one month after you

jb

Saint Sway

I'm relatively new here!
13th March 2007 01:45 PM
Martha
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Keith looks like Bob !
Anyone seen his speech on YouTube ?

EXACTLY what I was just thinking! Like Bob! Thus LARS is the favorite song....ROTFLMAO!

Keef looks fuckin' GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thrilled to see him looking so well. Thanks a million for posting the photos. I didn't try to watch it on the computer.....will wait for VH-1 to air it this weekend.

peace out and one love,
MM
13th March 2007 01:49 PM
Martha
quote:
Dear Doctor wrote:
keith looks like a dick with that mustache, he has soldout with this pirate shit

patti smith's rendition of gimme shelter was so-so
she fucked up and disgraced the song by saying it was a anti war song , as she paid homage to keith
it is a ambiguous song, she should know better
dumb bitch

Dearest Doctor. You should know better if you are a Dr. By the choice of your words....YOU are now officially cursed. Do not use the B word. It is a word of hatred. No one can help you now.

Indeed.

13th March 2007 01:53 PM
Martha
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I worship Patti Smith. The woman's got more balls than many men I know. I love her music, love her face, love her voice, love her love for Keith

I share all your sentiments FotiniD. She is the female Bob as well. What a woman!

;-)

I'm trampin'...trampin' trying to make heaven my home.
13th March 2007 01:55 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:

Are you upset that YOU weren't inducted jb?
13th March 2007 02:02 PM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:

Are you upset that YOU weren't inducted jb?

Hello Martha...as you know, I am no big Dylan fan. You now also now that I am no Patti Smith fan. Nonetheless, I respect your rights to love them all the same. The fact that the RRHOF has inducted groups like Van Halen, Grand Master Flash, et al. is a reflection of the freaky society we live in today....Good music is by and large ignored, and trolls like Britney, Justin, Kelly Clarkson, and the whole hip-hop/rap crap are viwed as legitimate music genres.....We need to get back to what rock once was...sadly, when so-called rock stars are inducted into this fake HOF, we further dilute and pollute the product. Hope all is going well for you and "C".
[Edited by jb]
13th March 2007 02:18 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:

Hello Martha...as you know, I am no big Dylan fan. You now also now that I am no Patti Smith fan. Nonetheless, I respect your rights to love them all the same. The fact that the RRHOF has inducted groups like Van Halen, Grand Master Flash, et al. is a reflection of the freaky society we live in today....Good music is by and large ignored, and trolls like Britney, Justin, Kelly Clarkson, and the whole hip-hop/rap crap are viwed as legitimate music genres.....We need to get back to what rock once was...sadly, when so-called rock stars are inducted into this fake HOF, we further dilute and pollute the product. Hope all is going well for you and "C".
[Edited by jb]

The RH has a major flaw...MONEY. It is the main reason for all the who has and hasn't been inducted, IMHO. Cleveland is being hit hard economically.....many touring bands do not stop there, and that has worsened in the last 2 years. It's going down people. Money....filthy money.

I am still surprised to know that you do not like so many of the good and great artisits of our day. But I respect your tastes as well.

I personally feel BLESSED beyond words to be alive while they are alive and touring. I have never seen Patti......she is on my must see list.

My marriage is on a pretty rocky road to be frank....thanks though for asking. Is your's going well? I hope so. I wish you nothing but peace and comfort.

Oh, and an induction in 2008. :-)

peace out,
Martha
13th March 2007 02:21 PM
Jeep Pix shot in London this afternoon !
Exclusive !

13th March 2007 02:24 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Scott Gries/Getty Images
[Edited by Gazza]

Keith looks very handsome .
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)