ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1969 Robert Altman with thanks to Gypsy!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Got to share my geeky story with you (all Larry Bird content) Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th March 2007 09:23 PM
sirmoonie So I got almost nothing to do with my life at the moment - winding files down, way, way down, underground, wound and its bound, bound to follow it down - so I figure I'll check out the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA for the sole reason that its the closest bar to my office that nobody I know is going to catch me in at 3:15 pm on a Monday. Plus I've only been twice to that one, and I like looking at the guitars on the walls. I really do like looking at guitars on walls, otherwise I hate the stupid place no matter what city its in.

So I head in, and head straight to the bar - I never look around when I go into a bar mid-day, because the only thing on my mind is getting some fucking liquor. Served up, take a glance at who is around.....and who is there?

There is almost no one in this bar, but Larry Bird is sitting two bar seats down from me. I looked back at the barsmack with a WTF gaze, we both just cracked up a bit. He said "yep, dude."

Along with Winston Churchill and Mick Jagger, I "idolize" Larry Bird. I think I've modeled every competitive basketball play I've done in the last 25 off that guy.

I stared at him for awhile, he was talking to some guy he obviously worked with. I tried to eaves-drop, but I'm deaf as hell. The man is huge - hands like mits, and they are all hacked up up too, almost like Keith's. And that rap song with lyrics "Larry Bird is the ugliest dude in the NBA" - well, lets just say that it may have been accurate. He ain't Brad Pitt, but negroes dislike Larry Bird for other obvious reasons.

He was wearing one of those 80s looking Adidas sweat suits, with brand new white Cons. He is the hick from French Lick.

I called my brother and let him know I was swilling along side Larry Bird (I moved away when I did that call), he was laughing, telling me to go say Hi and all that. I didn't do it, I figure Larry Bird and all famous people just get sick of that. Plus, what? Tell him I'm a fan, ask for an autograph? I'm 41 years old, doesn't make sense.

Anyway, he was there before me, don't know what he was doing before I got there - but in the space I had two beers, he had 3 vodkas, and a beer at the end (I was watching). His friend did too. He was gunning them down, this was like 45 minutes. When he left, I watched him, as did the barsmacks and everyone there - the barsmacks took pics on those silly fucking cell phones everyone has now. Again, a huge man, 6' 9" is larger than we think day to day - he walks with a limp, and obviously has back problems, he hunches over.

So, anyway, I sat in a Hard Rock Cafe with Larry Bird today, what did you guys do with your lives? Jack, I bet. Yins didn't do jack.
12th March 2007 09:33 PM
Nellcote Great Story 'bout Bird.
Bird & Red, Bird & DJ, what has been lost....
I don't care what comes out of the draft, not a thing comes close-NOTHING!!!
He wasn't with a former partner in crime, now T-Wolves Exec one Kevin McCale, comiserating about DJ was he?
By cracky, they are playing the T-Wolves tomorrow night...
Oh, by the way, so you'll know, I'm saving the world, one song at a time, in the Fantasy Fufillment palace. Currently, I've taken a break from the three day mourn which is for Brad Delp, I have Mickboy's Satanic Remaster on vol 30. We are grooving to the Citadel....And Yoos??
12th March 2007 09:35 PM
PartyDoll MEG Damn, Moonie...why didn't ya at least go shake his hand???

Oh well..another "missed" opportunity
12th March 2007 09:40 PM
fireontheplatter did you get his autograph?

i sat and watched the daffodils bloom today.
12th March 2007 09:45 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

He wasn't with a former partner in crime, now T-Wolves Exec one Kevin McCale, comiserating about DJ was he?
By cracky, they are playing the T-Wolves tomorrow night...

Nope. I recognize Herman Munster when I see him. I sat three rows in back of him for a few seasons here.

I had this whole conspiracy dealie going that Bird was here to deal for Garnett. Then the barsmack told me that the Pacers were in town tonight. My hoops ken ain't what it used to be. I said "Oh......well, can I have another."

Ahhhh, DJ.....what a great basketball player.
12th March 2007 10:02 PM
*ginda Good for you for not bothering him, sirmoonie. That's the best thanks for a well played career - to be left in peace to drink your 3 vodkas and 1 beer. You showed great restraint and very good judgement.

Your afternoon surpassed mine, but I did finish my income tax.
12th March 2007 10:32 PM
mojoman bird, parish, mchale, ainge...walton
12th March 2007 11:32 PM
GotToRollMe Very cool, moonie. Very.
13th March 2007 02:11 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
mojoman wrote:
bird, parish, mchale, ainge...walton

Yup. But at times, when they were dusting and busting everyone in 1986, including the whacko Rockets - it was, at significant times, Bird, McHale, Ainge, Walton, and Jerry Sichting - they showed it could be done.

(and believe me, Dennis Johnson is maybe now my favorite player of all time, and I loved Parrish's style too)

By the way, did I mention I sat two seats away from Larry Bird in a bar today?
13th March 2007 03:39 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
So I got almost nothing to do with my life at the moment - winding files down, way, way down, underground, wound and its bound, bound to follow it down - so I figure I'll check out the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA for the sole reason that its the closest bar to my office that nobody I know is going to catch me in at 3:15 pm on a Monday. Plus I've only been twice to that one, and I like looking at the guitars on the walls. I really do like looking at guitars on walls, otherwise I hate the stupid place no matter what city its in.

So I head in, and head straight to the bar - I never look around when I go into a bar mid-day, because the only thing on my mind is getting some fucking liquor. Served up, take a glance at who is around.....and who is there?

There is almost no one in this bar, but Larry Bird is sitting two bar seats down from me. I looked back at the barsmack with a WTF gaze, we both just cracked up a bit. He said "yep, dude."

Along with Winston Churchill and Mick Jagger, I "idolize" Larry Bird. I think I've modeled every competitive basketball play I've done in the last 25 off that guy.

I stared at him for awhile, he was talking to some guy he obviously worked with. I tried to eaves-drop, but I'm deaf as hell. The man is huge - hands like mits, and they are all hacked up up too, almost like Keith's. And that rap song with lyrics "Larry Bird is the ugliest dude in the NBA" - well, lets just say that it may have been accurate. He ain't Brad Pitt, but negroes dislike Larry Bird for other obvious reasons.

He was wearing one of those 80s looking Adidas sweat suits, with brand new white Cons. He is the hick from French Lick.

I called my brother and let him know I was swilling along side Larry Bird (I moved away when I did that call), he was laughing, telling me to go say Hi and all that. I didn't do it, I figure Larry Bird and all famous people just get sick of that. Plus, what? Tell him I'm a fan, ask for an autograph? I'm 41 years old, doesn't make sense.

Anyway, he was there before me, don't know what he was doing before I got there - but in the space I had two beers, he had 3 vodkas, and a beer at the end (I was watching). His friend did too. He was gunning them down, this was like 45 minutes. When he left, I watched him, as did the barsmacks and everyone there - the barsmacks took pics on those silly fucking cell phones everyone has now. Again, a huge man, 6' 9" is larger than we think day to day - he walks with a limp, and obviously has back problems, he hunches over.

So, anyway, I sat in a Hard Rock Cafe with Larry Bird today, what did you guys do with your lives? Jack, I bet. Yins didn't do jack.

NICE!

"I like looking at the guitars on the walls. I really do like looking at guitars on walls, otherwise I hate the stupid place no matter what city its in."

Me too.. I prob look like a dork at all like I'm at Dali- n-shit.

"but in the space I had two beers, he had 3 vodkas, and a beer at the end (I was watching)."

Cool! That's how I'm going to start rolling in the Burg. Can't wait for the Fuckin' Sun to come up Georgie!

You sure he would mix sponsers???DREAMTEAM! I know he don't play know mo.

he walks with a limp, and obviously has back problems, he hunches over.
It was all worth it!

PUSSY! You were drinking with Larry Leg....

Just forget it.

13th March 2007 07:28 AM
lotsajizz the only good thing about the '78-'79 NBA season was licking our chops waitin' for that Indiana State kid that Red smartly drafted the year previous (can't do that anymore!)...every friggin' game his senior year was about 35 points and 20 boards and 20 assists...while the Celts limped to something like a 20-60 finish.....the next year was sliiiiiightly different and the Legend began....
13th March 2007 12:18 PM
jb Bird was the best "white" player ever...I still recall the infamous comments by Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman avbout "whitey".
13th March 2007 12:31 PM
Saint Sway very impressive story Moonie. And one that only adds to your growing legend.

and not because you sat next to Larry Bird. But because you were day drinking on the job. For that, you are my hero.

cheers!
13th March 2007 12:54 PM
Starbuck did you go antiquing with him too?

bird to moonie: "now i'm one of your biggest fans!"
13th March 2007 12:55 PM
pdog I don't know anything about this guy, is he realated to Big?
13th March 2007 01:00 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
I don't know anything about this guy, is he realated to Big?

Biggie Smalls?
13th March 2007 01:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Biggie Smalls?

Big Bird

give it a minute to sink in...
13th March 2007 01:07 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
Bird was the best "white" player ever...I still recall the infamous comments by Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman avbout "whitey".

I can't find the article or vid, but my sources tell me that a few years ago, Bird said of Knicks manager Isiah Thomas - "If Isiah was white, he'd be fired by now." HAHA - nice little bit of revenge there, and I'll bet Bird was laughing when he found the opportunity to deliver that one.
13th March 2007 01:09 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I can't find the article or vid, but my sources tell me that a few years ago, Bird said of Knicks manager Isiah Thomas - "If Isiah was white, he'd be fired by now." HAHA - nice little bit of revenge there, and I'll bet Bird was laughing when he found the opportunity to deliver that one.

Funny....the Knicks are going to give him a big raise and extension, assuring that they will suck for the net five years...
13th March 2007 01:09 PM
Starbuck bird could totally kick isaiah's ass.

13th March 2007 01:10 PM
jb
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
bird could totally kick isaiah's ass.

True...I remeber he and Dr. J got into a fight and Barkley tried to sucker punch the white man..
13th March 2007 01:43 PM
Dan
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I lived a Rock N Roll dream Sunday when I saw Beasts Of Bourbon make a rare U.S. appearance at the Troubadour. But it's a great story you told, I actually read all that.
13th March 2007 01:51 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

I lived a Rock N Roll dream Sunday when I saw Beasts Of Bourbon make a rare U.S. appearance at the Troubadour. But it's a great story you told, I actually read all that.

The guys from Aerosmith?
13th March 2007 02:19 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

The guys from Aerosmith?

No, the guys from Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Bourbon
13th March 2007 02:28 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

No, the guys from Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Bourbon

I have to get the low down from Corgi...........
13th March 2007 04:32 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the only good thing about the '78-'79 NBA season was licking our chops waitin' for that Indiana State kid that Red smartly drafted the year previous (can't do that anymore!)...every friggin' game his senior year was about 35 points and 20 boards and 20 assists...while the Celts limped to something like a 20-60 finish.....the next year was sliiiiiightly different and the Legend began....

remember the happy birthday bill show at the WBCentrum in 85?
13th March 2007 05:28 PM
sirmoonie
He really does look like this - its not done with mirrors. In fact, I think all the mirrors busted when they tried to do it that way.

And put him in a silly looking track suit, you would not think the person before you is the 2nd or 3rd greatest basketball player that ever played the game.

I'm still geeking out over this. I think I've called everyone I know about it. The responses I get range from "cool" to "who?" to "relax man".
13th March 2007 05:35 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

He really does look like this

thats so weird. I assumed he looked more like this
13th March 2007 05:50 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

thats so weird. I assumed he looked more like this

Haha, that's actually closer - he has gained a lot of weight, most high powered athletes do when they retire. He has a huge head, even for his size, and its got flesh just drooping all over it. He's almost one of them no-neckers.

But I saw him pound some vodkas, and I'm a better man for it. Larry Bird rained down more crushing buckets over outstretched black hands than anyone we are ever likely to see again. I'd attest to that in the affirmative sense.

13th March 2007 05:53 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
mojoman wrote:

remember the happy birthday bill show at the WBCentrum in 85?

yes...ah, the ol' Centrum and Providence's Civic Center, they used to be annual stops...both were always fun 'when the circus came to town'

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)