ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Downloadable music: the way to go? (sadly still NSC) Return to archive
03-11-04 06:36 PM
Monkey Woman News from Doctor Stones webpage:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doctorstones/Intl_news.htm

"March 10 2004 : Downloadable music : great news from Metallica

"Pearl Jam et The Who were already selling budget-priced CDs of all the shows of their recent tours, but Metallica went even further.
All the shows of their 2004 tour will be available in their entirety and in soundboard quality on their webpage a couple of days after the show.
The prices : US$ 9.99 for MP3 files and US$ 12.99 for FLAC files. Artworks and CD labels are also available.
Other great news : no membership required. For detais, click HERE
I hope the Stones will be able to set up a similar offer with their Licks Tour shows and with their future shows."

Message for Mr Cohl and Mr Jagger: please set your computers to work on this exciting new business opportunity!
03-11-04 06:45 PM
ResidentMule sounds like a nice idea, but I don't wanna see a ton of MP3 based boots circulating around. its gotta be all FLAC (or SHN, or another lossless type) - or we're better off without it.
plus paying for it sucks too. 10-15 bucks is fair for an album that the band put work into to perfect, you think these things have had any effort put into them for mixing? and the only thing it does now is make it illegal to trade because its causing the band to lose profit on the material
you can download FLAC's & SHN's of the Stones for free on the net, and its better than anything the official site would ever put out

the more I think about it, the more I hope it never happens. straight to CD's would be cool if they'd lower the prices a bit, but with downloading you don't know what your getting
03-11-04 07:07 PM
Monkey Woman At least this way, one can download FLAC files of a perfect SB recording. As for not knowing in advance what you buy, you could have free samples to listen before download and/or fan rating (as they do at the Metallica site).

The principle, of course, is that artists get paid for the music we download! The industry could be in favor of downloaded music, for a change!
03-11-04 07:24 PM
mac_daddy this is the livephish model...

String Cheese Incident and Steve Kimock Band do it, too...

FLAC is lossless, no mp3 here (although you can buy and download the soundboard mp3s, but they are lossy - cheaper, though)....
03-11-04 07:54 PM
PolkSalad I posted this under "Urge Overkill Bootlegs" or something like dat. From the Chicago Reader.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheMeter/040305.html

March 5, 2004

Instant Karma
Burning CDs of shows to sell to the audience makes good sense. But selling the idea to bands is another matter.

Schubas, Metro, and the Double Door have announced an agreement with New York-based eMusicLive to make its See a Show, Buy a Show (SASBAS) instant live-album technology available at concerts in Chicago. With artist consent, the company will record performances, then burn CDs on the spot to sell alongside band merch. It's not a new concept -- Clear Channel introduced its Instant Live program at some Boston clubs last spring, and other companies, including DiscLive and Chicago's Pirate Entertainment (which documented Buddy Guy's 16-night stand at Legends in January), have launched similar systems. But eMusicLive's Chicago ventures make it the first outfit to set up shop permanently in multiple clubs in a single city.

SASBAS promises better recordings than a typical bootlegger could make: its mix combines signal from a dedicated microphone setup in the venue and output from the soundboard. Each venue will have its own eMusicLive rep to handle paperwork with the acts, oversee the mix, put start IDs on the songs, and run the burner (which can make as many as 50 discs every ten minutes). The standard rate is $10 for single discs and $15 for multiple-disc sets.

In the past six months eMusicLive has installed SASBAS in four other clubs across the country -- Maxwell's in Hoboken, San Diego's Casbah, Ann Arbor's Blind Pig, and Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill -- and recorded 200 shows. But only a handful of them have been by bands most people would recognize. Difficulty in securing name acts is a common problem for the fledgling subindustry. Despite Clear Channel's hammerlock on radio and concert business in the U.S., its Instant Live catalog is mostly local Boston acts plus a handful of jam bands. "The majority of artists haven't been able to participate for various reasons, like contractual or label obligations," says eMusicLive president Scott Ambrose Reilly (Lounge Ax lizards may remember him as Mojo Nixon's manager Bullethead). "And some may just be hesitant about the technology or the idea in general. But we think there are enough bands who will want to try it to make this a success."

One source of hesitation for acts that are free to play ball is the question of exactly what they're signing away when they agree to have a show recorded. That's a question eMusicLive has been asked a lot since 1999, when it went into business as Digital Club Network, offering concert webcasts, paid music downloads, and a few live CDs (by artists including the Meat Puppets, the Handsome Family, and Ralph Stanley) on its own label. Under its standard contract, DCN claimed the right to do basically whatever it wanted with its recording of a band's performance in exchange for a 25 percent royalty on any money it would make in the process.

These days, the company's plan is to retail any leftover SASBAS discs at local record stores (Schubas recordings will go to Reckless, Hi-Fi will carry CDs made at Metro; no arrangement has been confirmed yet for Double Door) and to sell the live audio as MP3s at its Web site. Bands will split all net profits evenly with eMusicLive, Reilly says, with about a third of the gross going to cover expenses, which include the venue's cut. Perhaps as significant as the improved royalty rate is the fact that bands get their share of on-site CD sales in cash, which can make a big difference on the road.

Control of the master recording itself, however, remains with eMusicLive. "Ultimately, what we do with it after a certain point is at our discretion," says Reilly, who mentions best-of compilations from individual venues as a possible use. "But the thing we've learned here is nothing makes any sense without a real partnership with the artist."

Reilly is negotiating with several indie labels in hopes of increasing the pool of potential SASBAS participants, just as DCN struck webcast deals with many of the same companies. Every act on a label's roster wouldn't necessarily be recorded, he says; it would still be up to each band, but a template agreement with the label would already be in place. In some cases rights to the masters might revert to the label or to the band itself.

For the venues, the only real risk is to their reputation, says Joe Shanahan of Metro and Double Door. "That's why we were involved in picking our [eMusicLive venue rep]. They're sort of working under our banner, so we had to pick this person carefully because the whole thing is an extension of us -- we're essentially partners in this."

Earlier this week Kansas City trash-art combo Ssion became the first SASBAS participant at Metro. Slated to go at Schubas are the Hold Steady, the new group from ex-Lifter Puller main man Craig Finn (who used to work for DCN), plus the biggest name to agree so far, San Francisco pop obsessive John Vanderslice.

Richard Buckner, who plays Schubas on Friday, recently declined an eMusicLive offer. He says he was approached at the Casbah in San Diego just hours before showtime. "I didn't know the company or anything about them," he says. "They sent an indie-rock-looking girl up to talk to me, but she had a definite business air about her. I refused 'cause it was just like, `Who are you? What do you want to do?' To me, if they can afford to record the shows and have a rep there, they could probably afford to try and get [ahold] of me and explain it properly, and not in the middle of sound check."

Urge Overkill nixed a proposal to record their first reunion gig, also at the Casbah, says manager Matt Suhar, "because naturally you're worried about what you're going to sound like on something that's so raw, and you're a little concerned anytime you sign on for someone else to sell your music." But when Suhar discovered a bootleg from the current tour on the Internet a few days later, the band had a change of heart. "We realized the chances are someone's going to be recording the shows anyway. So why not do it professionally and sell it?" Urge sold out a run of about 60 discs last month at Maxwell's, which has a legal capacity of 200.

Other local artists have taken a wait-and-see approach: "If we were to release something live we'd want to record it well, mix it well, and have it be something that we believe in, not something we've never even heard," says Tim Rutili of Califone, who turned down an eMusicLive bid for their show at Schubas this past week. "Maybe this is the beginning of something good. But for right now I like the idea of people taking away a memory of the show better than them taking away a CD of the show."

-- BOB MEHR

03-11-04 07:55 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
At least this way, one can download FLAC files of a perfect SB recording. As for not knowing in advance what you buy, you could have free samples to listen before download and/or fan rating (as they do at the Metallica site).

The principle, of course, is that artists get paid for the music we download! The industry could be in favor of downloaded music, for a change!

the industry isn't really against downloading. they know its the future & they want to make a buck any way they can off it. that's how its always been. they just waon't accept that its a 2 ways street, and it also makes it easier to get free stuff
and as downloading gets bigger, CD prices slowly drop. you can get new albums now for like 10/12 bucks off amazon. why would you pay the same amount for something you downlaod (and yes, I'm aware its lossless) - that's unmix, enpackaged, unprofessionally pressed. instead they let us burn them on these cheap CDR's. its a way of saving money for them, coming out with inferior products and calling them "official" - making the free versions inferior and illegitimate. its a scam

nice concept, just not for 10 bucks. $2-5 is fair for downloading files. for 10-12, I want something I can hold in my hand
03-11-04 08:01 PM
mac_daddy >>> nice concept, just not for 10 bucks. $2-5 is fair for downloading files. for 10-12, I want something I can hold in my hand

livephish and primus and the other I mentioned all include downloadable art - all you need is a printer and the jewelcase, and livephish sells those, too - labels, as well...

03-11-04 08:06 PM
ResidentMule i know that. and chances are for bootlegs I'd just make up my own cover art anyway

all I'm saying, is for as much as I'd pay for a CD, I expect a professional product -let them buy me the ink paper & plastic
03-11-04 08:19 PM
PolkSalad So the question on STG was, will Metallica sue those who upload the flacs?
03-12-04 01:34 AM
mac_daddy the real question is...

who cares about Metallica..?

(but they do specifically allow taping)
03-12-04 11:03 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I think they did. they probably won't now since they're trying to make a profit
03-12-04 11:21 AM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
the real question is...

who cares about Metallica..?

amen to dat. Who elses other than the Allman Bros (I'm guessing that's why they can't be traded) stopped allowing taping because of this trend?

They've got a list of bands that have opted out too but I can never find it on this page.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree
03-13-04 01:56 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Stones need to do what The Dead did for last year’s summer tour and will do again this summer. You buy the show that you're seeing while at the concert. You get a sales slip and the CD arrives in about 10 days. They have a great mobile recording unit set up at the show for the taping. You then can go to the web site and download artwork for that show. You also can purchase any other show from the tour. I bought several from last year and the quality is damn good! Of course The Dead still allow a taping section for personal use. This seems to be the way to go, as live records just don't sale the way they use to. The Band makes good money and the fans get the music that they love. I have no idea why The Stones refuse to embrace this concept, after all when the show is over, its history and should be made available for the world to enjoy. Yeah, bootlegs where cool in the 70's, but nothing beats the generosity of a band allowing the music to roam free!

BEST VIEWED HIGH