ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What's up with Van Morrison?? Return to archive
03-11-04 03:38 PM
West 8 I'm thinking about seeing him at Irving Plaza. Haven't seen a show there in years. Nice place in NY Does anyone know what sort of music he's playing this time around. Thanks
03-11-04 03:50 PM
jb
quote:
West 8 wrote:
I'm thinking about seeing him at Irving Plaza. Haven't seen a show there in years. Nice place in NY Does anyone know what sort of music he's playing this time around. Thanks

Van Morrison must be stopped.
03-11-04 03:55 PM
Gazza >I'm thinking about seeing him at Irving Plaza. Haven't seen a show there in years. Nice place in NY Does anyone know what sort of music he's playing this time around. Thanks

a bit jazzy and he does traditionally tend to concentrate on newer material. But still worth checking out I think. He's from the same city as me (same neighbourhood in fact) but I havent gone to see him for a few years.

Bank on a professional, slick sounding show but dont be expecting much on stage patter or audience interaction. You'll be lucky if the grumpy old curmudgeon even looks at the audience once.
03-11-04 03:57 PM
Joey

I found this from my Steely Dan friends over at

www.dandom.com

This is from the " WebMaster " Hoopsie himself :

" Unlike Steely Dan, I don't like every single track that Van Morrison has ever put out; however, he's my next favorite after Steely Dan. I used to run VM mail list in the early 90s but stooped about ten years ago.

Anywhoo... am a member of the Van Morrison list based in the Netherlands and they announced Van is coming to the USA which only happens "One In A Blue Moon" as one of his new songs is titled.

The dates are:

>3/30/2004 Irving Plaza New York, NY
>3/31/2004 Theater at Madison Square Garden New York, NY
>4/1/2004 Northrup Minneapolis, MN
>4/3/2004 Masonic Temple San Francisco, CA
>4/4/2004 Masonic Temple San Francisco, CA
>4/7/2004 Chicago Theatre Chicago, IL
>4/8/2004 Orpehum Boston, MA
>4/9/2004 Wang Center Boston, MA

Most tickets go on sale this Monday...

Have to say to say his most recent albums are hit or miss with a few tracks that stand out and the rest breaking little new ground. And although his voice isn't maybe what it used to be that would be O.K. if it weren't for all the cliché's that fill his most recent lyrics. (The aforementioned song title is typical.)

Everybody has their own take on what they like and don't like about Van's music and what his songs mean to them. I've always preferred avoid discussing his songs with others and even avoid the bios that come out every now and then. Seems to me the songs are all that matter. Still, the period of Van that speaks to me most consistently of all is from 1979's "Into The Music" through 1990's "Enlightenment.""

03-11-04 04:16 PM
Bloozehound I've always heard Van Morrisons a bit of a ass, but he still makes some really good albums. I've never seen him in concert, from you'lls desciption it sounds too formal, more like going to the symphony instead of a rock concert.

I'm a big fan of the Dan too. I thought their last two albums were pretty good, they sounded just like where they left off 20 yrs ago.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-11-04 04:29 PM
Joey

Van Morrison can be downright Nasty !!!!

Stuttering Joe Boy !
03-11-04 07:32 PM
mandrack At least, Van Morrison has new material, and I like it, he is the man!!!
03-11-04 07:39 PM
mac_daddy here is a sampling - the guy (Van) is a musical genius!!!

Van Morrison
01/25/04 (Sun) Konserthuset - Gothenburg, Sweden

Set 1: I Will Be There, All Work And No Play, What's Wrong With This Picture, Whining Boy Moan, Once In A Blue Moon, Sometimes We Cry, Walking My Baby Back Home, Bright Side Of The Road, Too Many Myths, Fame, Early In The Morning, Have I Told You Lately, Jackie Wilson Said, And The Healing Has Begun, Help Me, Goin' Down Geneva, Precious Time, It's All In The Game, Gloria, Stop Drinking

Lineup: Richard Dunn, Ned Edwards, David Hayes, Matt Holland, Bobby Irwin, Martin Winning

Sorry, not sure of the exact lineage but a very nice audience recording.

_____

01/26/04 (Mon) Konserthuset - Gothenburg, Sweden

Set 1: Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart No.1 > No Prima Donna > When Heart Is Open, Whining Boy Moan, Once In A Blue Moon, What's Wrong With This Picture, Evening In June, It Once Was My Life, Talk Is Cheap, All Work And No Play, Little Village, I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man, Real Real Gone > You Send Me, Going Down Geneva > Brand New Cadillac, Precious Time, Have I Told You Lately, It's All In The Game, Stop Drinking, Brown Eyed Girl, Gloria

Lineup: Richard Dunn, Ned Edwards, David Hayes, Matt Holland, Bobby Irwin, Martin Winning

The second of January shows from Gothenburg. With thanks to my scandanavian Taper friend :-)))

Lineage looks a bit like this
DPA 4061-Sony M1-Pc(soundforge)-cdr-Eac-MKW-SHN

_____

02/07/04 (Sat) Tivoli Concerthall - Copenhagen, Denmark

Set 1: Inarticulate speech of the heart > No Prima Donna, Whining Boy Moan, What's Wrong With This Picture, Once In A Blue Moon, In The Midnight, I Like It Like That > Kansas City, Philosophers Stone, Back On Top, Sometimes We Cry, Walking My Baby Back Home, St James Infirmary, All Work And No Play, Going Down Geneva > Brand New Cadillac, Have I Told You Lately, Little Village, Precious Time, It's All In The Game > You Know What They're Writing About > Make It Real One More Time, Gloria

_____

Go see Van if you have the chance.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
03-12-04 08:11 AM
T&A VAn is definitely worth checking out. I haven't been disappointed with any of his albums since 1983 - literally. And, he's incredibly prolific - usually an album each year.

Live - he's a treat - sometimes moody - but a real perfectionist with a crack band. If you dig bluesy, jazzy, r&B - Van's a master musician and bandleader...

BEST VIEWED HIGH