ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I think the meeting in France is more than just a ......meeting!!! Return to archive
03-08-04 02:41 AM
IanBillen
I know it is just a lame opinion but I sincerely feel that this so called "meeting" in France is much more than just a supposed "discussion of plans". I think this is a start to laying down some new tracks and getting it on in the studio.
Why?
We'll I am sure they would not have to all fly to France
just to discuss things. If anyone wasn't really interested
why go all the way to France. I am sure these guys have
each others numbers (although I am well aware there is much
more than just ringing Charlie on the phone when getting
plans or decisions to tour=Lawyers, managers, etc. etc.)
But if anyone couldn't do it or just wasn't up for it there
would be no need to make a special trip to Paris.
Secondly: The Stones and Ed Cherney spoke of the great time
they had recording at Gulliam Tell studios in France last
time and was stated that those sessions were just the
beginning to many more to follow (and it was led to believe
France was a good place for it all to take place).
Bottum Line is there are many ways to say
I can not, or am not into anything. I think
they are all ready to start something in France
and have all agreed. I mean come-on...Mick and
Keith already supposeably met in Barbados last
month. As for the rest of the boys....Why go the extra mile (or thousand miles) Just to inform everyone that
they will not be available for a while. I think they want to
get the recording time in before Charlie starts his Jazz tour in the summer. I think this so called "meeting"
is the start of something with all parties realizing this and goint to France just to do such.
Anyone agree or Disagree?
Thankyou for reading and/or posting.
03-08-04 03:47 AM
UGot2Rollme I agree - I think that some studio time will be spent. Perhaps reviewing the tracks to see how much they've really got that could make a new CD, and agreeing to record/write some more at a future date. I know Keith is due back in NYC for next weeks Hall of Fame ZZ Top induction, so I don't know how much serious recording they would do right now.
03-08-04 04:37 AM
zebulon By all means - do we have *any* news-coverage these days about our boys in Paris?

I tried and failed - but I#m not so good in frensh ...
03-08-04 07:40 AM
prism Mick lives in Paris much of the time and he always likes to attend the March fashion shows, so he was already there. Charlie accepted an award for his horse, so he was already there. Keith's wife and daughter Theo went to Paris for the fashion shows and maybe they asked Keith to travel with them. So since most of the Stones were going to be in Paris anyway, maybe they planned to get together.
03-08-04 08:05 AM
T&A it's actually a normal practice of theirs to get together roughly a year before a proposed tour to discuss the upcoming year. So, no, I see no reason why this should be any different - and I wouldn't expect any recording to be done.
03-08-04 11:12 AM
Gazza >We'll I am sure they would not have to all fly to France
just to discuss things. If anyone wasn't really interested
why go all the way to France

Its hardly a big stretch to go to Paris. Mick & Charlie live in the south of England most/all of the time (as does Woody part of the time when he's not in Ireland) and a flight to Paris from London takes no more than about 50 minutes. It's only Keith who doesnt spend much of his time in the British Isles these days.

What T & A said is right. The Stones - even in periods of inactivity - will get together at some point during the year to have a business meeting and to discuss what they plan to do in the next year or two. In fact, if you watch the "Being Mick" documentary, you'll see a short clip of them coming out of such a meeting in London.

If they are going to record, I'd say some time this month (which is a bit short notice!) and/or May-June is more likely as Charlie will be doing live dates with his Tentet.

he's playing a residency at Ronnie Scott's in London from April 5-17 and then there are festival dates in Belgrade (May 19), Vienna (July 2), Konstanz,Germany (July 4) and the Vitoria-Gastenz Jazz Festival in Spain (July 14)

[Edited by Gazza]
03-08-04 06:29 PM
kahoosier Bill German Speaks...Ronnie is on the sauce...The Stones are in Paris...Mcik Taylor cancels dates...now Charlie has cancelled dates after London.

So put those few facts and rumours together, add a few wild speculations and I bet we can get a whole thread started on the wild premise that all living Stones past and present will be touring without back up musicians on the best tour ever with something for everyone!

SIGH...I only wish I had the patience to wait for official announcements instead of gettion excited by every stray post.
03-08-04 08:59 PM
exilestones@netscape I hear from a very good source that the Stones will tour the USA this year.
03-09-04 04:52 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
exilestones@netscape wrote:
I hear from a very good source that the Stones will tour the USA this year.

It's probably just me, but I don't see a lot to get excited about, I mean it's not like 1989 when we feared the boys might be done. At this point, they've pretty much been on the road since for the past 10 years now with a couple of years off here and there, i.e. 1996, 2000 and 2001.

And it's not even like a new tour guarantees a new album these days.

Obviously it would be much more unusual news if there were definite plans for a new album, but honestly if they were serious about one, it would have been out much closer to B2B. Alas, I think Keith summed it up well in the Uncut interview, saying in essense: "we don't need to put out a new album to keep on filling stadiums". The sad thing for the true fans who got into the Stones for the music is that he's right. I for one won't be going though.

[Edited by gotdablouse]
03-09-04 05:10 AM
Doxa Kahoosier, add to your list the fact that Bill Wyman just performed in San Remo Festival with Italian pop band - that shows that the guy has lost his judgment and he can do anything for money - and I suppose the deal with the Stones would be the best Bill could EVER have. So, your speculation sounds valid, Bill is 100% in...

- Doxa
03-09-04 05:15 AM
zebulon
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Alas, I think Keith summed it up well in the Uncut interview, saying in essense: "we don't need to put out a new album to keep on filling stadiums".

Yup, true, but they just can't do another compilation album now; and without a new record it's not going to be too inspiring to draw the crowds, I think.

BTW, don't they still have a contract to fulfill? I.e. so and so much records within so and so much years?
03-09-04 05:45 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Doxa wrote:
So, your speculation sounds valid, Bill is 100% in...

I don't miss Bill.
03-09-04 06:49 AM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I don't miss Bill.

I second that.
03-09-04 10:10 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I don't miss Bill.

I do. Bill's bass lines were inventive and cool. Darryl, as a sideman, is limited by the fact that he can be fired at any time and plays it very safe, boring one-note-repeating-without-variation lines unless the Stones order him to do otherwise. "Don't Stop" and "You Got Me Rocking" are prime examples. When they let him run free he's great - but they don't let him run free.

Either that or he's just not good at coming up with inventive lines by himself. Which I somehow doubt. He seems too good to be uninventive.

Mmmmmmmmmm '04 tour. Are the Stones considering a Dylanesque touring schedule or are they just gonna tour more frequently?

That'd be nice. I think now that Dylan's shown them that they can't hide behind the "We're old" facade that the next album might be more than just a throwaway.

-tSYX --- Ahhh flip the switch...
03-09-04 11:22 AM
Nasty Habits Well said, Xyzz -- Bill's absence is felt everytime the band takes the stage. I miss him TERRIBLY, even more acutely whenever I listen to a show from '78 or '81 and back to back it with a show from '9for-ward.
03-09-04 11:26 AM
jb Daryl was chosen b/c it was cool to have an african-american in the band..he has been a major disappointment and has added nothing to the sound. While Bill has become a cranky old man, he was undeniably a driving force behind what was once the greatest rhythm section in rock-n-roll....

NINEA ABS SHAY MONKEE
03-09-04 01:37 PM
Monkey Woman According to Keith, Charlie had the final say in the choice of a new bass player, and the fact that Darryl played with Miles Davis was a big point in his favor. Plus the Stones felt that Darryl could play anything and adapt to their way of playing, either in studio and on stage. Which is true, the guy is very versatile, having played with Madonna as well as Miles!

Though very different from Bill, of course, I think Darryl is pretty good now when they play live, especially in clubs where there's more licence for improvisation. But he does stay careful.

A friend of mine who was close to the b-stage last year at an arena show (Bercy or Wembley, I don't recall at the moment) witnessed a funny incident: Darryl's solo in Brown Sugar went very loud, and Darryl sneaked a sheepish look to Keith, as if saying sorry. Later, my friend talked to Darryl in the hotel, and asked if he played very loud to annoy Bill (who was in the audience). Darryl said no, it was the bass technician who made a mistake, and that he simply rode it and hoped it wouldn't annoy the Stones too much. Keith was happy with it, btw, and told him not to feel too bad.

Let's hope that will inspire more inventivity on his part in the future!
03-09-04 01:40 PM
Joey " A friend of mine who was close to the b-stage last year at an arena show (Bercy or Wembley, I don't recall at the moment) witnessed a funny incident: Darryl's solo in Brown Sugar went very loud, and Darryl sneaked a sheepish look to Keith, as if saying sorry. Later, my friend talked to Darryl in the hotel, and asked if he played very loud to annoy Bill (who was in the audience). Darryl said no, it was the bass technician who made a mistake, and that he simply rode it and hoped it wouldn't annoy the Stones too much. Keith was happy with it, btw, and told him not to feel too bad. "

I love that story .
03-09-04 01:44 PM
Nasty Habits Monkey Woman, I love the word inventivity!

03-09-04 01:53 PM
gotdablouse Interesting discussion. Darryl is indeed a hired hand and while Bill had little say overall, he was pretty free to play whatever he wanted and he didn't have to worry about upsetting Keith or Mick, they were partners. Makes a big difference.

Darryl's style is "jazzy" and that doesn't come down too well with the Stones where it's just some kind of buzz in the background. Bill's rolling pick-played lines certainly stood out more although it was always the same stuff really.
Even when the production became much more polished in 1989 you could still hear the bass.

Same goes for the keys mind you, I would LOVE to see Billy Preston banging around rather than Chucks' "honky tonk" Leavell. Obvisously it's slicker than having Stu and Mac banging around in the shadows, but it's nothing short of lifeless.

The Stones just want to put up a safe show to fill up the stadiums, their call obviously...
03-09-04 01:58 PM
jb Billy P . would be a welcomed edition to the current line-up. Ollie Brown might even take some time off his real-estate ventures to join up once again with the band...
03-09-04 01:58 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Monkey Woman, I love the word inventivity!

Oops! Does it exist at all in English? I'm afraid I was translating from French as I typed. Maybe I should have said "creativity".
03-09-04 02:05 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
jb wrote:
Billy P . would be a welcomed edition to the current line-up. Ollie Brown might even take some time off his real-estate ventures to join up once again with the band...

I have no interest in seeing the band ever again. Seen them plenty. Unless thay add Billy P. Now - THAT may be worth catching a gig or two. Only if I'm in the front row again. 3 times in the last few years - would consider 4...
03-09-04 02:20 PM
nankerphelge gotdablouse wrote:

"It's probably just me, but I don't see a lot to get excited about"

Don't see a lot to get excited about?

Holy shit, swing by the Clue Store on the way home and pick one up!!!

By the way, the Bee Gees site is all abuzz about the possibilty that they may tour -- oh wait -- Maurice is dead! Never mind!!
03-09-04 03:24 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
gotdablouse wrote:

"It's probably just me, but I don't see a lot to get excited about"

Don't see a lot to get excited about?

Holy shit, swing by the Clue Store on the way home and pick one up!!!

By the way, the Bee Gees site is all abuzz about the possibilty that they may tour -- oh wait -- Maurice is dead! Never mind!!

I would be very interested in seeing the Bee Gees with Maurice. And Andy. Dead is a relative. It can be done. If the fans wish it so. Because they matter most you know.

hooo ha.

03-09-04 04:34 PM
Joey " I would be very interested in seeing the Bee Gees with Maurice. And Andy. Dead is a relative. It can be done. If the fans wish it so. Because they matter most you know. "

Non Sequitur !

Both of those Gibbs are now " Caked " in dirt naps .

Perhaps if you bothered to " UnCake " them we might have something here but NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NINEA !!!!!

Ninea Abs Shae Monkee !!! Ninea !

D. J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca !

03-09-04 04:38 PM
jb monkey shae abs ninea
03-09-04 04:44 PM
Joey

03-09-04 04:50 PM
jb You made tremendous in roads while I was gone...you are closing in faster than David Crosby spoting a liver.
03-09-04 05:11 PM
Joey " You made tremendous in roads while I was gone...you are closing in faster than David Crosby spoting a liver. "

Please don't EVER leave again ................I's needs me Jewish , Stonesian Brother .

BEST VIEWED HIGH