ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones plans according to Bill German Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
03-07-04 12:27 PM
zebulon
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The good news is that on B2B, they didn't use Chuck "Bland MOR" Leavel, hence maybe the more interesting sound!

@gotdablouse - well, I hear a lot of bashing on Chuck. I can't follow here - as always, a matter of taste, to be sure - for Chuck also played with another of my favourite groups from the end60s, early70s, the Allman Brothers. I do find him quite a good boogieboogie pianist; not as good maybe as Stew, but good enough...

Just my 2 Cts worth...
03-07-04 12:59 PM
gotdablouse I'm not saying he's a bad guy but playing f**#$*$ honky tonk piano on When the Whip on the b-stage is nothing short of scandalous and the same goes for JJF on the MSG garden...That Mick & Keith allow this is beyond me as well, still it's Chuckster playing that crap not them.

I think they put up with this because he knows all the catalogue and serves as the musical director really. It also doesn't hurt that he plays a lot of the "filler" to make the sound "crowd friendly". Listen to anything from the 1981 to hear the Stones as they were meant to be, lean and mean!
[Edited by gotdablouse]
03-07-04 01:13 PM
Snappy McJack Don Was should be fired.

I saw him on some reality TV show on FX, and everybody knows that if you go on a reality TV show you should be fired from your job.
03-07-04 01:18 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Don Was should be fired.

I saw him on some reality TV show on FX, and everybody knows that if you go on a reality TV show you should be fired from your job.

That's good enough for me! Oust his ass!

And Rolling Stones records, with one notable exception released in 1972, should be 10 songs long.
03-07-04 10:27 PM
Soldatti
I read so many crazy things about the album:
Double?
"Beggars Banquet" style ?!!? (2004 is 1968?)
"Exile 2" ?!!!! (2004 is 1972?)
Six months session !?"!!!

The only that we can expect (and we will get) is this:

ALBUM CONCEPT
- CD with 11-12 tracks
- 40% Paris 2002 session and 60% from the new session

SONGS STYLE
- 4 Classic Stones, 2 Keith on vocals and 4-5 strange things again, as on Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges...

SONGS SOUND
100% "Forty Licks" new songs, no Bridges sound and of course no Voodoo Lounge sound

NEW RECORDINGS
- One month session, as 2002. With lucky maybe two...

PRODUCER
Don Was again (100% sure)

BACK-UP BAND
Darryl Jones (100% sure)
Chuck Leavell (200% sure)
2-3 Back-up singers
Brass (2-3 guys)

ALBUM RELEASE DATE
October / November 2004

NEW TOUR
1st Posibility (50%):
January - April 2005 (USA & Canada)
April - May (South América / Asia)
July - October (Europe)

2nd Posibility (40%):
October 2004 - February 2005 (USA & Canada)
March - April (South America / Asia)
July - October (Europe)

3rd Posibility (10%):
February - March (South América / Asia)
April - July (Europe)
September - December (USA & Canada)

That's all.
03-08-04 12:53 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I read so many crazy things about the album:
Double?
"Beggars Banquet" style ?!!? (2004 is 1968?)
"Exile 2" ?!!!! (2004 is 1972?)
Six months session !?"!!!

The only that we can expect (and we will get) is this:

ALBUM CONCEPT
- CD with 11-12 tracks
- 40% Paris 2002 session and 60% from the new session

SONGS STYLE
- 4 Classic Stones, 2 Keith on vocals and 4-5 strange things again, as on Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges...

SONGS SOUND
100% "Forty Licks" new songs, no Bridges sound and of course no Voodoo Lounge sound

NEW RECORDINGS
- One month session, as 2002. With lucky maybe two...

PRODUCER
Don Was again (100% sure)

BACK-UP BAND
Darryl Jones (100% sure)
Chuck Leavell (200% sure)
2-3 Back-up singers
Brass (2-3 guys)

ALBUM RELEASE DATE
October / November 2004

NEW TOUR
1st Posibility (50%):
January - April 2005 (USA & Canada)
April - May (South América / Asia)
July - October (Europe)

2nd Posibility (40%):
October 2004 - February 2005 (USA & Canada)
March - April (South America / Asia)
July - October (Europe)

3rd Posibility (10%):
February - March (South América / Asia)
April - July (Europe)
September - December (USA & Canada)

That's all.

Alot of what you say makes perfect sense.
If I may, I feel alot of what you say is,
like the lot of us, based on speculation.
* I am not as sure as you Don Was will be there.
* I feel if they do decide to go in the studio they
will stay there atleast two solid months.
The album could come out as soon as September if all
goes well.
* The Stones could leave most of the Paris 2002 sessions
behind and just use the song writing and recordings
they did on the Licks tour and then add in the new stuff
from the new Studio time. If, infact there is new studio time.
* I don't feel they will try and emulate the "Don't Stop"
"Steeling my Heart" Poppy sound as much for this one.
I actually think The Stones will go for a different
sound than the 2002 Paris sessions. Their albums
never really sounded as the previous album or recordings unless your talking very early Stones (66 and before). The only two back-to-back albums that resembled
each other in style and alot sonically were maybe Some Girls(definately the better of the two) and Emotional Resque (not as good by any means as some Girls but could of been from the same sessions...which they were-and not all tracks on Emotional were up to production scale) I think The Stones know not to make a recording that sounds too similar from the previous endevor.
All good thoughts from both sides.
Good input.
Ian
03-08-04 08:44 AM
gotdablouse speculation, speculation...just a quick reminder that Chuck Leavell is nowhere to be found on the B2B recording, here's hoping they make a smart decision like this again!
03-08-04 10:49 AM
sandrew 'Blouse, don't blame Leavell that the Stones don't sound like '81 anymore. Blame Keith and Ronnie for their incapability of playing their guitars anymore.

If it weren't for Chuck, there'd often be nothing but drums, back-up singers and horns.
03-08-04 11:37 AM
Gazza Soldatti

re: "10%"

I dont think theres a chance in hell that they'd leave US/Canada until the end of a world tour for two simple reasons

1) since their last North American tour ended in Feb' 03, they've played all of their other markets (except for South America which was only left out due to economic instability in that region) so it makes more commercial sense to leave those markets until 2005 AFTER a trip to America.

2) The Stones know that to start a tour in America makes the most sense economically and also will get the venture the most publicity. Especially if it accompanies a new release which obviously needs all the publicity it can get.

It was reported quite some time ago in Mexico (and mentioned on this site) that they had made arrangements to play there in either October 2004 or around February 2005.
If they DO tour in 2004, I'd personally expect them to play a short tour of the US/Canada(for the reasons stated at 2) above and a tour of Latin America, returning to the US in early '05.

They could probably tour Latin America in late 2004 and sell as good as ever even without a new album being ready, as the demand would still be there because that market didnt get any shows in 2002-2003. But I doubt they'd tour the US/Canada until they have new 'product' ready to promote.

In short, they'll almost certainly play US shows to coincide with the release of a new album
03-08-04 12:41 PM
Jumacfly Latin America deserves stones tour...
03-08-04 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot Soldatti...

Read my post again. I was telling people NOT to expect Exile Pt. 2.

You know how some folks can get...the talk of a new album...the anticipation...the unattainable expectations...I was just trying to warn folks to use their heads, not their hearts.

BTW...I can't remember the last time I had either Voodoo Lounge or B2B in my CD player. It's not that I hate those albums or anything like that. I just like other albums a lot more.
03-08-04 01:38 PM
jb [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Soldatti...

Read my post again. I was telling people NOT to expect Exile Pt. 2.

You know how some folks can get...the talk of a new album...the anticipation...the unattainable expectations...I was just trying to warn folks to use their heads, not their hearts.

BTW...I can't remember the last time I had either Voodoo Lounge or B2B in my CD player. It's not that I hate those albums or anything like that. I just like other albums a lot more.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I remember the VJ on MTV , J.J. Jackson, prior to "Steel Wheels" coming out saying it was supposedly the best album since "Exile"...and off course, while we Stones fanatics were in euphoria over a new album and tour, we all can agree that SW's was not even close to one of their better efforts. As much as it pains us to admit, we probably will never get another "classic" stones album..None the less, it's what keeps us going....the anticipation of a new disc, the highs, the lows, and the thrill of the live shows...I tend to be very negative when discussion the "mordern" Stone's sound as I am stuck on the past...however, I am also a realist and know that this is todays Stones-like it or not, this is what you get and at the end of the day, it's still pretty good...
[Edited by jb]
03-08-04 01:49 PM
LadyJane jb...You feelin' okay??

You are positively..well..POSITIVE.

I like it!!!

LJ.

PS..why haven't you weighed in on the "Howard Stern" thread? I'm very curious of your thoughts.
03-08-04 01:57 PM
jb SS is very serious .
03-08-04 02:09 PM
Joey " SS is very serious "

He is EXTREMELY Serious !

Joey ( not Serious )
03-08-04 02:10 PM
Joey " In short, they'll almost certainly play US shows to coincide with the release of a new album "

Let's just hope and pray they stay the Hell out of Germany this time .

03-08-04 02:12 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Joey wrote:
" SS is very serious "

He is EXTREMELY Serious !

Joey ( not Serious )

LOL!!! That's how we like you, Joey!!!
03-08-04 02:14 PM
LadyJane Hey..Martin and Lewis..I mean Joey and jb...who is more serious..SS or Corgi???

LMAO.

LJ.
03-08-04 02:17 PM
Joey " Hey..Martin and Lewis..I mean Joey and jb...who is more serious..SS or Corgi???

LMAO.

LJ. "

Corgi is a Great Man and one day I plan to meet the Legend in person .

Stoney seems to get more and more serious by the day ( I SWEAR it's something in the water out there .... )

Developing .........................................

Drinking ...........................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jazzy !

03-08-04 02:27 PM
jb SS is in a high stress level occupation and unlkie me, is unable to let his emotions out on this board. He has done a lot of good things for people and I hope he is well.
03-08-04 02:30 PM
Joey " SS is in a high stress level occupation and unlkie me, is unable to let his emotions out on this board. He has done a lot of good things for people and I hope he is well. "

Yes , Stoney is a God to me and I hope he feels better . Without his fine generosity , warmth , tenderness , kindness and verisimilitude , my boot collection would be 1/2 of what it is today .

On a lighter note , the temp is supposed to hit seventy degrees today which is pretty damn good for the Month of March around these parts .

Word ! G's !!!!

[ Edited by The kid ]

Jercee !

[Edited by Joey]
03-08-04 02:34 PM
jb Joey, did you see the CNN special last night on the Dean campaign? Very interesting. Also, I find myself attracted to Sophia Choy, especially when she wears the heavy make up.
03-08-04 02:37 PM
Joey " Joey, did you see the CNN special last night on the Dean campaign? Very interesting. Also, I find myself attracted to Sophia Choy, especially when she wears the heavy make up. "

{{{ ? }}}}

" The Sopranos were on the tele Ronnie ! "

Jersee !

03-08-04 02:41 PM
jb I have never paid for an premium T.V. channel like HBO or Showtime...I am not much of a movie person, although this "Passion" thing has outraged me.
03-08-04 02:44 PM
Joey " I have never paid for an premium T.V. channel like HBO or Showtime...I am not much of a movie person, although this "Passion" thing has outraged me. "

It is my sincere belief that this "Passion " thing could very well cause a virulent wave of " AntiSemitism " to sweep the nation ..................................

......................it is also my sincere belief that I need to pee .

******************** END TRANSMISSION ******************

JerSkee !

03-08-04 03:28 PM
Ben Gurion How do you say "Josh has more posts than Joey" and "Joey is such a loser" in Aramaic?
03-08-04 03:36 PM
Joey " How do you say "Josh has more posts than Joey" and "Joey is such a loser" in Aramaic? "

Lampchop .........................................

Come over here right now and " uncake " me . I could use a good swabbing after that Hamburger I ate last night for dinner.
03-08-04 03:43 PM
Ben Gurion Oh no. I told you right now - I only work for Jerry. Ask Sleazy Hugh. I bet he'd do it for a price. Even though I heard he's VEEERRRYYY serious.
03-08-04 03:47 PM
Joey " Oh no. I told you right now - I only work for Jerry "

Lampchop , I have mentioned to you many many times that in life , there are the " Caked " and the " UnCaked " .

You , of the dear , sweet , helpless , miserable little Avatar , are of the " Uncaked " Variety .

Joesy !

03-08-04 03:56 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Oh no. I told you right now - I only work for Jerry "

Lampchop , I have mentioned to you many many times that in life , there are the " Caked " and the " UnCaked " .

You , of the dear , sweet , helpless , miserable little Avatar , are of the " Uncaked " Variety .

Joesy !

You are just jealous! Ha! Writhing in your oily self contempt. I had a dream of your head last night. I know what you are up to. You will never get away with it! I know you ritually killed and consumed Maxy. I know Josh is next in line. Your wicked wicked plan. You will not stop until you are the only one posting on this board. You will overtake all personas! I know it!

Free Martha!

Page: 1 2 3 4

BEST VIEWED HIGH