ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Howard Stern, the FCC, and the religious loud mouths Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-07-04 10:14 PM
BILL PERKS THE ENTIRE RADIO INDUSTRY HAS BECOME A TRAVESTY..INFINITY OWNS SO MANY OF THE MAJOR STATIONS AND STERN'S PROBLEM IS THAT HE'S IN BED WITH THEM COMPLETELY..INFINITY WILL NOT BANKROLL A COURT BATTLE TO SETTLE THIS SO STERN SHOULD QUIT AND GO SATELLITE..IT WOULD REVOLUTIONIZE RADIO AND DEVALUE INFINITY INTO OBLIVION.BUT HE CANT BECAUSE THEY HAVE MADE EACH OTHER MILLIONS.
03-08-04 01:14 AM
Taptrick Will Be Interesting To see How This Plays OUT In Relation To Thread Topic:

Sen. John Kerry's official election website is riddled with obscenities...

The Democrat nominee-in-waiting recently said radio stations are within their right to pull Howard Stern off the air if they object to the shock jock's racy show.

But an investigation reveals Kerry's own website is filled expletives, setting the standard for a new wave of 21st Century campaigning!

MORE

A sampling of web pages featured on Kerry's official site reveal:

"Bush f**ked up Afghanistan... Did I expect George Bush to f**k it up as badly as he did... cutting all your f**king legs off at the knees... Where the f**k is he?... scare the living s**t out of me... He has a pig-in-s**t grin on his face, he wanted to get into the s**t... doesn’t play s**t in my book..."

In fact, typing in the terms "F**k" or "S**t" in the search box of the official Kerry For President site directly links the reader to the action!

A campaign source tells that "John Kerry For President" online simply contains published material, and the senator was simply unaware on Sunday that the expletives were being carried on his own Internet server. [A search on the official Bush/Cheney re-election revealed no such curse words.]

"I think you'll see the offensive words removed," the top campaign source said.

Unlike over the air broadcast, there are no known foul language rules for official campaign websites.

[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
03-08-04 01:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot Gee...I like Kerry a little more now.

03-08-04 08:32 AM
Taptrick LOL - great point - it's going to be entertaining.
03-08-04 10:27 AM
telecaster I like Howard's show when he sticks to rating strippers

However, Howard is as fake as the WWF

Howard said he wanted to dig up Mancows dad and ass-fuck his corpse

Mancow sent Stern a box of shit in the mail

Stern freaked out and ran to the feds, the very feds he complains about 100% of the time to demand something be done

Read the deposition at www.thesmokinggun.com

Howard the Coward in his deposition sounds like part of the moral majority. "Crossed the line" was my favorite.
Howard now decides in his deposition when something crosses the line

It is all an act for ratings
[Edited by telecaster]
03-08-04 02:03 PM
doo doo doo Dude I agree with you telly. I used to be a huge fan of Stern's show back in his 90's heyday when he was on the cutting edge. But he lost all cred in my book when he went "Hollywood", dumped his wife and became the exact lame, egotistical celebrity that he used to mock. As much as I love strppers and lesbians, it does get old year after year. The dude's such a hypocrite that I really don't feel sorry for him.
03-08-04 02:15 PM
Joey " I agree with you telly. I used to be a huge fan of Stern's show back in his 90's heyday when he was on the cutting edge. But he lost all cred in my book when he went "Hollywood", dumped his wife and became ........"

The beginning of the end came when he " dumped " Jackie Martlin from the show . The guy may have been a real Pain -in - the - Ass , but he sure could write .

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky !
03-08-04 03:09 PM
jb This has nothing to do with whether or not you like Howard. I use to listen to him, but got bored. Nonetheless, this is about free speech and our rights to be free of government censorship. We are in the 21st fucking century yet the FCC wants to control what we listen to...the reality is that a small, vocal, moral minority, are desperately trying to force their version of morality on us and it truly is scary. The funny thing is, most of these so-called people of virtue are the most perverted, fucked up humans on the face of the planet.
03-08-04 03:20 PM
Joey " the reality is that a small, vocal, moral minority, are desperately trying to force their version of morality on us and it truly is scary "

Amen , My Brother .

" Goysky " ( Whatever THAT means )

Hacky !
03-08-04 03:24 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" the reality is that a small, vocal, moral minority, are desperately trying to force their version of morality on us and it truly is scary "

Amen , My Brother .

" Goysky " ( Whatever THAT means )

Hacky !

Roma Downey looked really hot in that movie 'The survivors club" last night on CBS. Is "Touched by an Angel" still on?
03-08-04 03:29 PM
Joey " Roma Downey looked really hot in that movie 'The survivors club" last night on CBS. Is "Touched by an Angel" still on? "

I happened to flip on CBS last Wednesday evening around 8:00 PM CDT and there was a program on called SCI or something that played The Who's " WHO ARE YOU " as their theme music .

I immediately pulled out my " Who Greek Theatre ' 02 " DVD and immersed myself in total sensate bliss ......................................and you ?!?!?!

03-08-04 03:35 PM
jb I pulled something out.
03-08-04 03:36 PM
Joey " I pulled something out. "

03-09-04 12:03 AM
BILL PERKS STERN ACTUALLY JUMPED THE SHARK WHEN BILLY WEST LEFT.1996
03-09-04 10:41 AM
jb My favorite is local star Neil Rogers, a Canadian Jew and homosexual on 560 WqAm here in South Florida....
03-09-04 11:05 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:

Roma Downey looked really hot in that movie 'The survivors club" last night on CBS. Is "Touched by an Angel" still on?

Damn jb who is Roma Downey!?!?! I saw that. Va va voom!

What a body

P.S. The government is not censoring anyone. They are fining these morons. Big difference. It is like a highway.
There is a speed limit. You break it you get fined.
Break it too many times they take your license away.
Identical for the public airwaves.
Remember this new action was approved 41-1 by the Congressional committee which obviously included Dems
Stern was fined $1.7 million under Clintons FCC

None the less, find me a naked photo of Roma Downey
03-09-04 11:10 AM
jb Roma Downey was the star of the CBS series "Touched by an Angel".
03-09-04 11:11 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Roma Downey was the star of the CBS series "Touched by an Angel".

She was also the star of my dreams Sunday night

03-09-04 06:18 PM
Sway Howard Stern is exactly like the people he has made fun of for years. Over the hill and not relevant at all anymore.
03-09-04 06:26 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sway wrote:
Howard Stern is exactly like the people he has made fun of for years. Over the hill and not relevant at all anymore.

That's what I'm sayin'
They're doing him a favor takin' him off the air.
03-10-04 06:35 AM
prism When asked his favorite band, John Kerry said the Stones.
03-10-04 09:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Howard Stern is exactly like the people he has made fun of for years. Over the hill and not relevant at all anymore.<

>That's what I'm sayin'
They're doing him a favor takin' him off the air.<

But what does that have to do with his 1st Amendment rights?

Look, I hate the fuckin' KKK. But they have every right to express their fucked up opinions....even on public airways. Sure their message is completely fucked, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that the government should not abridge their ability to express their opinion. We should all be smart enough to turn that fucked up message off...all on our own volition, without a government agency deciding to turn it off for us.

It is my opinion that the American people are smarter than the government is giving us credit for. We all have the ability to switch off, or switch to something else that we do like. I don't need the FCC to do that for me, and you shouldn't need the FCC to do it for you either.

If Howard is so irrelevant people will stop listening, all on their own. The advertisers will see the ratings drop and pull their ads. With his big money ads gone, his stations across the country will yank him off the air. All without any interference from the government. It's natural selection. Shit may float for a while, but eventually it sinks. Radio or TV, it matters not, if you ain't pulling in the ratings, you won't be on the air for long.

But for some Brooks Brothers Stick Up His Ass guy in Washington DC to decide to yank him for being "immoral" or "obscene" is, to me, immoral and obscene in itself. It is wrong for the government to decide where I draw the line on what is or isn't obscene. That should be a personal decision that we each make for ourselves, and for our children. This is America...even assholes like Howard Stern have rights. And when and if each of us decides he has crossed the line, then we can all express our opinion through our right to turn him off. But it is MY decision to turn him off. Period.
03-10-04 09:28 AM
Nellcote Howard is done by his own staleness.

It all ended around the time his movie came out, which could be viewed as the high point.

Naked strippers on air, exploiting human maladies, crank telephone calls are everywhere here in the good ole USA radio.
He invented the genre, and he should leave now
and show the gov't who is boss, rather than
whining about this matter.
03-10-04 09:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot You're right Nelly.

He should just shut up and leave.

I mean, why start some pointless debate about 1st Amendment rights. Nothing relevant there.
03-10-04 10:00 AM
Nellcote Defending 1st amendment rights is a legit cause.
It's just as Robyn said this morning, they've not won
a battle against the FCC since '93, so why continue?
Viacom sure is not going to fight the FCC on his behalf
and he's got nothing to gain on his own.
He'll take his lame schtick to satellite radio, and have a wicked pissa time by himself until that medium catches on.
03-10-04 10:11 AM
Sir Stonesalot Or until the FCC gets it's hooks into that medium too.
03-10-04 10:23 AM
nankerphelge Howard wants to make this a First Amendment issue -- but it really isn't. There is no absolute right to get on the airwaves and say anything you want. Some people believe that the First Amendment gives them that right -- but they are fooling themselves. The First Amendment has never been read that broadly. Congress gave the FCC jurisdiction and authority to regulate decency standards, and courts -- including the Supreme Court -- have upheld that regulatory authority.

And this is not just Powell's deal. There are plenty of people in this country that agree that the FCC should enforce the standards. Many people do not agree that it is simply a matter of changing the channel. For example, I don't let my kids watch everything on TV -- I make them change the channel to avoid what I consider to be inappropriate material. But what if they go to a friend's house and those parents are not as strict as I am. I cannot police everything, so I don't find it unreasonable to have the FCC enforce decency standards.

And I understand the slippery slope argument -- that FCC regulation of "morality" will lead to more and more. Unfortunately, the last 2 decades have shown that to be false. The decency standards have loosened over the past 20 years -- remember Soap got in trouble because it had a homosexual. Now just about every network has its homosexual show(s). The words "penis" and "ass" and "son of a bitch" could not be uttered on TV in 1984 -- they can now! NYPD Blue pushed the boundary 10 years ago with nudity and sex. Imagine what Sex in the City would have been like in the 80s -- I can tell you -- it's called Designing Women!

03-10-04 11:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot >For example, I don't let my kids watch everything on TV -- I make them change the channel to avoid what I consider to be inappropriate material. But what if they go to a friend's house and those parents are not as strict as I am. I cannot police everything, so I don't find it unreasonable to have the FCC enforce decency standards.<

Yes, you can police everything your kids watch. You can easily pick up the phone and ask whomever is watching your kids to not let them watch cartain things. I certainly wouldn't be offended if a parent called me and made that request. I let my son listen to, and watch, almost everything I watch or listen to....even stuff with nudity and swearing. I do this because I'm willing to take the time to sit and talk with him about it. I'm willing to answer all his questions. I figure if I don't make a big deal of it, he won't either. And when it comes time to talk about things like sex and drugs, he will be open and willing to come and talk to me. However, when his little buddies come over South Park, and Beavis & Butthead don't go in the VCR, the TV doesn't go to Skinamax, and Atomic F Bombs does not go in the CD Player, and my son knows that. It's common sense and common courtesy. We don't need the FCC to regulate that. We should all be capable of regulating it for ourselves.

I agree that the standards have moved progressively. Now ask yourself why. It's because that we as "the public" have said, "This is OK". We haven't reached the any lines that I can see. It is my opinion that all the fuss over the Superbowl is coming from a very vocal minority. It's being played up in the press because it's a hot topic, and increases circulation and ratings. Honestly, if the media had not turned it into a circus, it would have been a nonissue. Most of the people I talked to didn't even realize what had happened till FoxNews and CNN started showing it repeatedly...and it slow motion. And the folks who are outraged, for the most part, have a very specific political and religious agenda.

The "slippery slope" is not so much in enforcing the standards, as it is in keeping the government standards out of certain mediums...like cable, satellite, and the internet. The FCC is trying very hard to get control over these mediums. There is no denying that. They have practically made it a mission statement. THAT is your slippery slope Nanky. We simply can't let the FCC get that ball rolling. And where they are trying to get that momentum started is in radio and TV. That is where we have to nip it in the bud.
03-10-04 11:21 AM
nankerphelge I spend a lot of time with my kids too talking about such things. And because of that, and the respect we have for each other, I do not have to call other parents -- my kids call me when a show is on elsewhere and tell me that they are not watching it. But not all parents have our level of understanding -- and so I have no problem with the FCC policing certain boundaries.

And you are right that those boundaries have changed because of public sentiment of what is acceptable. That is how it should be. BUT, under the same rationale, if enough of the public says that certain things are indecent, I agree that the FCC is well within its rights to beef up enforcement. And given the action in the Senate this week, I would say that it is more than a small bunch of isolated right wingers out there that feel enough is enough following the Superbowl.

In the grand scheme of things, courts have always been very careful to protect the First Amendment -- I don't see the sky falling quite as much as you do!

03-10-04 11:33 AM
jb I just don't think our kids are going to turn out bad if they happen to see a tit or hear the f word ...In fact, they seem to get most of the stuff from their peers in school. We started a policy of no cursing in the house and if you slip up, it cost you a dollar...At years end, we will use the money for something fun. I think it's the utmost in hypocrisy when republicans tell us they are against big government, yet, want the government to impose it's standards of morality on us....It goes against everything these "freedom" loving republicans supposedly stand for. And is it only me, or is Alan Colmes the worst possible choice as a "liberal" to go up against Sean Hannity?
[Edited by jb]
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH