ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tokyo Dome March 16, 2003
By Anthony Mathilde -RS.COM Join the RSFC!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: opinions on Love you Live! Return to archive
03-14-03 01:49 AM
woodywoodpecker Most would have this album on Lp or cd.

I think it is very overlooked, well from reviews I have read anyway. 76-77 Wow its my fav live album anyway & period. The band sounds real tight and Keith & Ronnie are playin amazing stuff on here.
My two fav solo's from woody-Cant always get what you want
-Brown Sugar

Love to hear some peoples thoughts on it.
03-14-03 03:23 AM
dealer squealing Love You Live was the first album i bought,
and is the best live album i have heard(yes better then ya ya�s). Also my favorite period.
03-14-03 03:49 AM
Cant Catch Me It's the Stones at their sloppiest, their absolute nadir, playing terribly, all loose and ragged. And I still love it!
It seems to work better on the bluesier songs though, especially the El Mocambo tracks, Mannish Boy/Crackin' Up etc., than on the ones that deserve to be played tighter, say for example Bitch or Brown Sugar. My opinion only ...
03-14-03 05:00 AM
gypsymofo60 1. The Rolling Stones best live album,(as far as official releases are concerned anyway.)The Exile of live albums, rough, raw, ragged, and ballsy. I think it inspired many to go for that bootleg quality it seems to possess. Within 12 months Aerosmith had virtually copied it to a T. 2.Not only The Stones best live album, IMO, THE BEST live album. 3. It has a brilliant mix of material, from Paris to Toronto, and who could fail to get their rocks off on the excellent 'El Mocambo' side?....Even Mick's banter with the crowd was something most live sets had/have failed to deliver on. 4. Excellent cover art! and just the best version of 'Fingerprint File'...love that echo effect. 5. What an album!
03-14-03 05:47 AM
stonedinaustralia el mocambo is without peer and should be considered on its own terms...my complaint - why didn't they just release four sides from those two gigs??

as for sides 1,2 & 3 it all sounds terribly thin...i agree with CCM to a degree (a nadir in the way - the sound of keith at the bottom of the heap) but at the same time with woodywoodp - ronnie on CYHMK is brilliant

the first showing of mick's "breathless years" - it's all that running around

it has it's moments but the sound lacks the punch and threat that the '69 and '72/'73 stuff did - but then as i say el mocanbo showed they could still do it all...

great album cover

03-14-03 06:35 AM
fmk438j I'm not totally sold on it. But since recently giving it another going over I love sides 3 and 4 (well, disc 2 in my case).

What a treat those 4 El Moc. tracks are. Can someone please post the actual dates/venue list of the tracks?

PS: Exile, I forgot about the el moc. boot I was supposed to send, will do monday, unless you already got it somewhere.
03-14-03 06:45 AM
corgi37 When the mood strikes (ie: heaps of beer is consumed) my best mate and i chuck this on full blast and groove away. We know every nook and cranny of this record. I fucking love it. It is a gransiose live set. They certainly werent the urban terrorists of ya ya's or the jaded faded junkies of 72, but this was over the top rock at its best. When i was younger, side 3 virtually never got played. I way preferred the bombastic stuff. Still do, but el mocambo is part of history. When they do around and around, i get goosebumps. This is my fave version of YCAGWYW too. And boy, i really miss the cheeky banter jagger used to do. He hardly seems to talk the the audience any more. I think its a perfect live album for the period. But boy, didnt the critics hate it. For sheer entertainment value, its their best live record. I say that mainly because though i love ya ya's, i still consider it unfinished. Having no gimme shelter or satisfaction is insulting. ANd the packaging is poor, particularly considering what the who did with re=packaged and re-mixed live at leeds. Compare love you live to the mind numbingly boring flashpoint or the diabolical no security, and it comes up smelling of roses. Just pray their next cd is NOT a live one, but a studio one. I'd rather have a dvd of this tour thanks.
03-14-03 07:25 AM
sirfito I remember I was buy it the day it was realeased the double album on vinyl. I runned (literally) to my house and put it on the turntable and...I loved it! And I still love it today!
The Mocambo side, great. Of course the rest too, but the Mocambo side, man!
I have the argentine edition and the import edition on vinyl, and of course the double cd too, and I sill play it, almost every week.
Fantastic album!
Best.
Fito
03-14-03 10:45 AM
T&A I bought it at the time of release and played the grooves off of it. In hindsight, however, it is not a great live album. The El Mocambo side is killer, of course - it would have been great to release a whole album from those gigs...with Hand of Fate, LSTNT, Route 66, Dance Little Sister, Worried About You....

But, the '76 stuff just isn't up to par - the handful of tunes culled from '75 make it passable. By '76, the drug effect had dragged down Keith's chops and the band is just not performing at the level they were early in the '75 tour. Listen to any of the better recordings from early in the '75 tour - they all blow away the '76 performances by a mile. I don't mind some sloppiness - the Stones have pretty much had a career marked by controlled sloppiness. But, this stuff isn't so much sloppy as it is dull. Jagger's vocal are the worst of his career, IMO, in '76, too.
03-14-03 10:54 AM
telecaster A truly great live album, a must have
03-14-03 10:56 AM
nankerphelge I bought LYL the day I bought my new stereo as a young lad.
It is sloppy, but that's it's beauty.
It is particularly good really loud.
But aren't they all really.
03-14-03 11:32 AM
Nasty Habits Side three makes the record essential, but I don't listen to the rest of it much - I vastly prefer Ya-Ya's. It's Jagger's performance I can't take on lots of it - he really does sound like either a barking dog or a totally lazy sod, which is worse than being sloppy. Side three is godhead, and some moments on the rest of it are truly inspired, but it's I have to side with CCM on his overall assessment of its quality.

BTW - Charlie Feathers has the craziest, hiccupinest, wildest, weirdest rockabilly/country/Memphis freak genius this side of Jerry Lee Lewis and any track of his from the 50s is a Wild Wild Party!

03-14-03 11:47 AM
Cant Catch Me Damn right, Nasty, Ho! Rock it! (Whatever the F-CK that means!)

For more info on Love You Live, where better to look than on Mathijs' Web site, where you'll find complete recording info on the album tracks and the four dates in Paris where all but El Mocambo was recorded. Here's a link:

http://home-5.worldonline.nl/~heteren/paris1976.html

Like I said, I still love the record, it's just different than the other official live releases. Much better than the antiseptic No Security and Flashpoint, like somebody else said, but technically not on a par with Ya Yas. It's more similar in feel to Stripped than anything, really, which has that informal jam vibe to it, plus more of the obscure songs. But if you're in the mood for some raggedy assed Stones, Love You Live is just, ho, ho, ho, rockin'!!
03-14-03 12:20 PM
T&A CCM:

I respectfully disagree and need to correct you on the LYL dates. LYL features two songs from LA '75 - SFTD and Fingerprint File - both of which were not even performed anywhere on the '76 European tour.
03-14-03 12:53 PM
F505 Ron's solo on You Can't Always Get is one of my favourites. Side three is one of their best live performances ever.
03-14-03 02:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I love this album, more than Ya-Ya's. Side Three makes it worth it. Ironically, the worst thing on this album is Mick's voice - you can tell the performances were pretty late on in the tour. Ronnie and Keith shine, as does (most of the time) Billy Preston. Side Two isn't that interesting except for "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Sides One, Three and Four more than make up for it, though. I agree - why couldn't we get a complete El Mocambo, featuring the first live performance of "Worried About You", what, four years before it's album release?

Anyone have a soundboard of this one? Does it exist?

Still, I love it. It's the Stones of the '75-'77 tour, rocking, ballsy, having a real good time out on the road.

-tSYX --- Well we all need someone we can bleed on...
03-14-03 02:28 PM
T&A Savage:

There's an acetate of El Mocambo (partial) that includes soundboard of Route 66 and Dance Little Sister - both killer! Also has Hand of Fate and a clipped version of Worried About You. Well-worth checking out...it's pretty widely circulated and available in trades....
03-14-03 03:42 PM
Cant Catch Me I just want to clarify that it's, "Ho, Rock It!" that I don't completely understand. That's in contrast to, "Rock It, Ho!" which makes plain sense.
The latter expression is so direct and simple in its lingual elegance that it's become a common vernacular phrase in use from Charlie Feather's time until the present day among some segments of the youth population.
03-14-03 04:19 PM
Factory Girl Love You Live is my fave official live album. El Mocambo is superb-love the ragged, raw vibe.
03-14-03 04:36 PM
Child of the Moon Definitely my favorite. I wrote an essay on the bloody thing for a high school class. I got an A on it. :-)

I bought it on vinyl not too long ago, because I'm trying to extend my Stones vinyl library. But I was just as happy to buy it because it's Love You Live. I love Ya Ya's, don't get me wrong, but LYL is definitely my favorite. El Mocambo is incredible, the takes on Happy and Fingerprint File (especially the unreleased long take of the same version) kick ass, and it's just a great record to put on when you're in the mood for a party.
03-14-03 08:01 PM
Gazza Mick's singing on LYL is terrible and I've never been crazy about the playing on some of it either..

apart from the 4 El Mocambo tracks which are awesome..

also some tracks off sides 1,2 & 4 are from toronto 1975 and London 1976 - not just LA 75 and Paris 76
03-14-03 10:32 PM
tumblingdice Always loved the playing on this one especially the jam up Hot Rocks IORR, Brown Sugar and all. Not as happy with Mick's voice on this one, but always felt what it lacked in sound quality it more than made up for with feeling. So that made it just as great. El Macambo just speaks for itself in greatness but would have loved the full show.
03-15-03 09:52 PM
Pants Make the Man I would give "Love You Live" three stars based on the strength of "Fingerprint File" alone. Who does that lick when it comes back around? You know, right before, "It gets me down". Is that Ronnie? I told you Ronnie was a star.

03-16-03 02:42 AM
marko Sorry,but Finferprint file is from Toronto,17.6.1975.So is
iorr.Only sympathy was taken from La show,and thats,La 9.7.75.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST