ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14, 2006
© Throbby... thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jumpin' Jack Flash - Standard Tuning? Return to archive
14th March 2006 02:23 PM
mcclellan28 Anyone know how to play "Jumpin' Jack Flash?" If so, is it in standard tuning, with a capo at I, and a second guitar with a capo at VI? I've heard that it's in some sort of open tuning. Any ideas?
14th March 2006 02:33 PM
Break The Spell I can't answer your question, but what I've always wondered is, have they ever played the intro live?? It seems like every live version I've ever heard just starts with the main riff and never has the 10-15 second intro that you hear on the studio version.
14th March 2006 02:35 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I can't answer your question, but what I've always wondered is, have they ever played the intro live?? It seems like every live version I've ever heard just starts with the main riff and never has the 10-15 second intro that you hear on the studio version.

I wondered that myself too.... Excellent Point!
[Edited by RollingstonesUSA]
14th March 2006 02:44 PM
CraigP Keith plays in 'Open G' tuning on JJF, Happy, etc. Any song where you see him live and his famous left-hand off the neck pull-off while still strumming features an open tuning. Almost always Open G.

An open tuning is where the guitar is tuned to a particular chord whereas standard is a dischord because of the 'b' string.
[Edited by CraigP]
14th March 2006 03:46 PM
mrhipfl The studio version is done in standard tuning, with no capo, i believe. the live versions are in open G with a capo on the 4th fret. playing it in open tuning is easier, because you can hit as many strings as you want and the song won't be out of tune, since all the strings are tuned to the same chord.
14th March 2006 03:57 PM
speedfreakjive these are the facts;

Live - Open G, capo 5th fret, in C

Studio - Open E,[ E B E Ab B E ]. In B
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
14th March 2006 04:07 PM
mcclellan28
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
The studio version is done in standard tuning...the live versions are in open G

That would explain some of the confusion, if the studio version is different than the live version.
14th March 2006 06:25 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
these are the facts;

Live - Open G, capo 5th fret, in C

Studio - Open E,[ E B E Ab B E ]. In B
[Edited by speedfreakjive]

I just checked the theatre show off of four flicks, and the capo is on the fourth fret.
14th March 2006 11:50 PM
sammy davis jr. The capo IS on the 4th fret.....open G tuning.
15th March 2006 01:07 PM
rocker If I may make a recommendantion on a powerful way to play this song with two guitars in standard tuning with no capos.

One guitar plays the riff the way keith plays it on rr circus, and the other guitar plays the riff with the root 6 full B bar chord at the seventh fret. there is a little more invloved to get the right sound than this, but i dont have time to draw out the tabs. none the less it can be done very authentically with two standard tuning guitars
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)