ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
Đ and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest or Best band of the 20th Century. Return to archive
10th March 2008 07:42 PM
guitarman53 As much as I love The Stones, the biggest band of the 20th Century in rock has been the Beatles, there's no question about that, they were the 60's, we can go back to Glenn Miller, but it's still not the same, if it wasn't for The Beatles do you honestly think the Stones would have been "known, going by history that is, can you imagine Andrew Loog Oldham coming to America & saying he's got this new band, it wouldn't have happened, America wasn't ready for a totally rebelous Rock band, it had to happen like it was.
10th March 2008 07:47 PM
fireontheplatter dude
10th March 2008 08:06 PM
Zack
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
it had to happen like it was.

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bus.
10th March 2008 08:12 PM
Mr.D
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
As much as I love The Stones, the biggest band of the 20th Century in rock has been the Beatles, there's no question about that, they were the 60's, we can go back to Glenn Miller, but it's still not the same, if it wasn't for The Beatles do you honestly think the Stones would have been "known, going by history that is, can you imagine Andrew Loog Oldham coming to America & saying he's got this new band, it wouldn't have happened, America wasn't ready for a totally rebelous Rock band, it had to happen like it was.

quote:
they were the 60s

You've kind of answered your own question there, yes they started some stuff, but they ended it in 1970; 1969 really, thats it, you could count the bands that have been musically inspired - or otherwise - by the beatles with your hands (and feet) - the stones started everything, they did everything first, and yeh if it wasnt for the beatles maybe they wouldnt have been as accesible to america, altho if there were no beatles, there still wouldve been the stones - the managment wouldve seen money to be made in the teenage market and wouldve marketed the stones as the boys next door.

i have been thinkni about this, i not being bias (though they are my favourite band) but i think that more bands have been influenced by the stooges [iggy pop / and the stooges] than have the beatles, and probly about as many as the stone - more musically probably, as i think the stones pretty much kick started the whole thing rock n roll wise i mean - even iggy says at one stage in the late 60s they couldve called him Mick Morrison because he was trying to be mick jagger and jim morrison.

anyway i think you may have the wrong classes on, who was bigger - and still is - than both the stones and the beatles - who did they aspire to be like, who kicked the beatles into gear and got them high and got them started with one of their best albums, rubber soul .... Bob Dylan! The beatles are half dead, some one should shoot whats left, they never did anyhting of value (cept john, bit of mc cartney) after they split, the stones are still kickass live, thats really what there career has been geared towards though, even jagger said that in the late 60s, that the beatles were a studio band and they were a live band (in my opinion the reason you get into a band) anyway they have had some great albums as well, all of them, i love them all, but anyway, my point is in terms of popularity, the stones made 447milllion dollars on that last tour alone!! Thats staggering, but A Bigger Bang only sold like 300,000 copies i think [correct if wrong, thats the last count i heard] anyway, thats to be expected, it was good material, well some good songs from keith bring it up from the dumps but otherwise it was a fair and expected attempt from them, Dylan's last record Modern Times was No. 1 in the US, thats pretty impossible to get (a no.1 in US i mean) esp for someone who's been as odd, inconsistent (80s) and cryptic and sorry to say it - old as dylan. The stones couldnt get that, and the beatles certainly couldnt (with new material i mean) - [although if this itunes deal is real im sure the beatles will be number one again - though old material]

He's also got an Oscar for that song Things Have Changed, grammys (time out of mind) best selling autobiography (which is amazing btw) and a hugely popular radio series, after all he's been through is it possible he should be doing this? Lol, just saying, amean as far as music goes in the 20th Century i dont think you can get much bigger or better or more influential than Dylan
[Edited by Mr.D]
[Edited by Mr.D]
10th March 2008 08:36 PM
Fiji Joe Whoever was laying down this jam...

10th March 2008 10:31 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Mr.D wrote:

You've kind of answered your own question there, yes they started some stuff, but they ended it in 1970; 1969 really, thats it, you could count the bands that have been musically inspired - or otherwise - by the beatles with your hands (and feet) - the stones started everything, they did everything first, and yeh if it wasnt for the beatles maybe they wouldnt have been as accesible to america, altho if there were no beatles, there still wouldve been the stones - the managment wouldve seen money to be made in the teenage market and wouldve marketed the stones as the boys next door.

i have been thinkni about this, i not being bias (though they are my favourite band) but i think that more bands have been influenced by the stooges [iggy pop / and the stooges] than have the beatles, and probly about as many as the stone - more musically probably, as i think the stones pretty much kick started the whole thing rock n roll wise i mean - even iggy says at one stage in the late 60s they couldve called him Mick Morrison because he was trying to be mick jagger and jim morrison.

anyway i think you may have the wrong classes on, who was bigger - and still is - than both the stones and the beatles - who did they aspire to be like, who kicked the beatles into gear and got them high and got them started with one of their best albums, rubber soul .... Bob Dylan! The beatles are half dead, some one should shoot whats left, they never did anyhting of value (cept john, bit of mc cartney) after they split, the stones are still kickass live, thats really what there career has been geared towards though, even jagger said that in the late 60s, that the beatles were a studio band and they were a live band (in my opinion the reason you get into a band) anyway they have had some great albums as well, all of them, i love them all, but anyway, my point is in terms of popularity, the stones made 447milllion dollars on that last tour alone!! Thats staggering, but A Bigger Bang only sold like 300,000 copies i think [correct if wrong, thats the last count i heard] anyway, thats to be expected, it was good material, well some good songs from keith bring it up from the dumps but otherwise it was a fair and expected attempt from them, Dylan's last record Modern Times was No. 1 in the US, thats pretty impossible to get (a no.1 in US i mean) esp for someone who's been as odd, inconsistent (80s) and cryptic and sorry to say it - old as dylan. The stones couldnt get that, and the beatles certainly couldnt (with new material i mean) - [although if this itunes deal is real im sure the beatles will be number one again - though old material]

He's also got an Oscar for that song Things Have Changed, grammys (time out of mind) best selling autobiography (which is amazing btw) and a hugely popular radio series, after all he's been through is it possible he should be doing this? Lol, just saying, amean as far as music goes in the 20th Century i dont think you can get much bigger or better or more influential than Dylan
[Edited by Mr.D]
[Edited by Mr.D]

Bob Dylan was never as popular as The Beatles, you could go into any household in '64 & ask if they heard of the Beatles as opposied To Bob Dylan, & they would tell you, yes, I heard of The Beatles, but who is Bob Dylan?
10th March 2008 11:31 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Whoever was laying down this jam...

No doubt, that lil fella is bigger than the Beatles any day of the week
11th March 2008 12:09 AM
guitarman53 This is more Rock 'N' Roll then you've seen, The Stones didn't become this wild.

<
11th March 2008 05:34 AM
Jumacfly
11th March 2008 07:48 AM
glencar Oh yeah, the moptops! What about Elvis, Frankie & all the others before? The Beatles were a good pop band; nothing more, nothing less.
11th March 2008 12:46 PM
real wild child Man,I hate this eternal discussion about The Stones v.s The Beatles...both are good,great songs...their influence itīs amazing and their legacy will never die...
But donīt forget rock and roll itīs a huge thing,specially in the 60īs...The Kinks,The Animals,etc,well there are so many groups better than The Stones and The Beatles...and they donīt survive because they are dead or they canīt combine creativity with music...

But really stop this stupid comparison...
11th March 2008 01:32 PM
Zack
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh yeah, the moptops! What about Elvis, Frankie & all the others before? The Beatles were a good pop band; nothing more, nothing less.

John Lennon for one surely would have agreed with you. But the fact is that their every release -- for six years straight -- was an event. You can't deny that no band had a more spectacular sustained run at the top, as well as such a contemporary influence and enduring popularity. For good or bad, right or wrong, it's the truth.
11th March 2008 02:13 PM
Fuck! 1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. U2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)