ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock 'N' Roll people who did or does belong to 12 step programs. Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th March 2008 02:13 PM
guitarman53 It's suppose to be Anonymous, but a lot of people know well 'known rock artists who belong to a 12 step program.
1-Pete Townsend.
2-Eric Clapton.
3-Elton John.
4-David Bowie.
5-Ron Wood.

There are a lot who relapse regularly, some once was in a 12 step program who don't go any more (Elton John) there are some who found religion (Alice Cooper) & never went to A.A. or any other program.
7th March 2008 05:56 PM
GhostofBrianJones Ringo Starr
Anita Pallenberg
Aerosmith members

7th March 2008 05:59 PM
glencar As long as druggies get the help they need, why should we know about it?
7th March 2008 06:17 PM
guitarman53
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
Ringo Starr
Anita Pallenberg
Aerosmith members

Thanks, your right about that, there are so many people, I can't put it all together.
7th March 2008 06:41 PM
mrhipfl
7th March 2008 06:45 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
glencar wrote:
As long as druggies get the help they need, why should we know about it?

because it makes for fun reading?
7th March 2008 06:51 PM
glencar I just read about Owen Wilson. I guess it's fun - until his next suicide attempt.
7th March 2008 06:58 PM
pdog I've been sober for over 11 years, been goin to AA for about 17 years or so, I have been in meetings with a few famous people... honestly, I at times disclose this, and I really shouldn't give their names up... Even disclosing my own membership can put me in a place were I seem to represent the community. And, it is a community of great people, yet flawed, and when people get loaded, alot of bad shit happens. You don't go there b/c you sang too loud in church.
On a sidenote, Dr. Drew's Celeb Rehab and Intervention are the best comedies I've ever seen on TV.

7th March 2008 07:02 PM
lotsajizz I don't like a lot about AA.....except that it works

very little else does
7th March 2008 07:12 PM
guitarman53
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

because it makes for fun reading?

Right own, it makes for reading, this is no longer Alcoholics Anonymous, everything is on the news today!! there are programs on T.V. that tell it like it is, this is no longer A.A. in the 30's, this is this age! anybody that knows anybody is in one of these 12 step programs.
7th March 2008 07:17 PM
chevysales
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
It's suppose to be Anonymous, but a lot of people know well 'known rock artists who belong to a 12 step program.
1-Pete Townsend.
2-Eric Clapton.
3-Elton John.
4-David Bowie.
5-Ron Wood.

There are a lot who relapse regularly, some once was in a 12 step program who don't go any more (Elton John) there are some who found religion (Alice Cooper) & never went to A.A. or any other program.

many proggys out there that aren't 12 step related and work... that in fact many use.

pdog you hit on that last bit about dr drew who should still be talking about sex on mtv with adam corolla like 10 years ago... and intervention... ummm yea another comedy...

conr=trary to the 12 step thing there is an actual physical change that comes about for loonnnnnnnnggggggggg term opiate users that very rarily break the cycle....once the brain stops making endomorphones(sp) on its own for a long period it's been shown that very very few make it out... some make it for a time others not at all but if the body no longer produces it something else must or you have one miserable person.

i am not talking about the 5 year user here either... time mag just had an excellent story about a vaccine which of course aclu is fighting... developed by dr tom koston who was here at yale for many years and is now at baylor... an interesting read for those that care... along with an explanation many who read may have a different picture of who/why the opiate addict is who he or she is...

have a read:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1701864,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1701973,00.html

http://www.bcm.edu/solutions/v3i2/cocaine.html

[Edited by chevysales]
7th March 2008 10:17 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I don't like a lot about AA.....except that it works

very little else does

Hahaha... yeah, me too!
7th March 2008 10:49 PM
guitarman53 So what is it that makes these 12 steps work? is it the fact that some people have had enough? & that they had a spiritual
Happening? some people stop, & then some people just go on like nothing has happened to them.
7th March 2008 10:55 PM
pdog
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
So what is it that makes these 12 steps work? is it the fact that some people have had enough? & that they had a spiritual
Happening? some people stop, & then some people just go on like nothing has happened to them.

it's a simple program, not easy... Work is required. AA is my job, god is my employer. I worked the steps with my sponsor, now I work them with sponsees. My job is to stay sober and help other alcoholics. It's not a self help or what do I get program, it is a help others and stop thinking about yourself thing.
7th March 2008 10:57 PM
glencar Wow, that's a great idea! Nothing does us as well as helping others.
7th March 2008 11:01 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, that's a great idea! Nothing does us as well as helping others.

Especially alcoholics and addicts, the absolute defintion of selfish is how we behave when using, and sometimes even when we're sober... Honestly, it's a blessing and a curse, at least now that I'm sober. Sometimes I wish i was normal, like you guys... Seriously, it's awesome, b/c the principles, are simple, help others, feel better and think less of self.... the truth is. When I'm like that, my life rocks, and I get sooooo much back. Regardless, I'm sober, and not smelling like piss and and destroying everyones good time!
7th March 2008 11:02 PM
glencar You're great fun & to be honest, I forgot you were sober in AC until you reminded me. My uncle is in AA & he's the best person I've ever known besides my Mom.
7th March 2008 11:17 PM
GotToRollMe What do you guys think about Ibogaine? I've been hearing all kinds of good things about it. You'd still need a 12-step program to follow it up with, but it looks like a good detox.

http://www.ibogaine-therapy.net/
http://www.ibeginagain.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine
7th March 2008 11:26 PM
pdog
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
What do you guys think about Ibogaine? I've been hearing all kinds of good things about it. You'd still need a 12-step program to follow it up with, but it looks like a good detox.

http://www.ibogaine-therapy.net/
http://www.ibeginagain.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine

I had a friend do a rapid detox once. He was really strung out bad. They basically kept him asleep for a few days. I never heard of this ibogaine. Need to read more, I stopped when it said gated community in Mexico...
8th March 2008 01:09 AM
GhostofBrianJones Pdog, I am also a member of AA. This time I have been clean for 10 years.
It took me two inpatient and two outpatient treatments to get me to stop.
I try to go as often as I can get out.

If you want the program to work you have to work the program.

I know you don't usually respond to me but I thought I would share my
membership as well as it is good to see other AA members anywhere.
[Edited by GhostofBrianJones]
8th March 2008 02:13 AM
pdog
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
Pdog, I am also a member of AA. This time I have been clean for 10 years.
It took me two inpatient and two outpatient treatments to get me to stop.
I try to go as often as I can get out.

If you want the program to work you have to work the program.

I know you don't usually respond to me but I thought I would share my
membership as well as it is good to see other AA members anywhere.
[Edited by GhostofBrianJones]

right on.... just wonderin' where you live?
8th March 2008 08:29 AM
GhostofBrianJones Thanks for the reply. I live in St Louis MO.
8th March 2008 09:58 AM
guitarman53 Thanks Pdog & Ghost of Brianjones for sharing, it's a eye opener, this thread was going be about rock stars & it turned into personal lives.
8th March 2008 02:47 PM
Joey " Thanks Pdog & Ghost of Brianjones for sharing, it's a eye opener, this thread was going be about rock stars & it turned into personal lives. "

< ----- Your young Joey drinks with Keith Moon every weekend .

Great --- Thanks Lil' Buddy ( Lil' Fijikins )

Fly ! ™
8th March 2008 07:16 PM
GhostofBrianJones Young Joey, please convey my regards to Keith Moon as I and my friends
are very avid fans of Moon. Thanks.
8th March 2008 07:44 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
So what is it that makes these 12 steps work? is it the fact that some people have had enough? & that they had a spiritual
Happening?

i think not so much a spiritual happening...more like a religeous experience.
8th March 2008 08:44 PM
somebody

9th March 2008 12:49 PM
Joey
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
Young Joey, please convey my regards to Keith Moon as I and my friends
are very avid fans of Moon. Thanks.

Done .

I saw Keith last evening and he says , " Hi " .

Joey Moon !
9th March 2008 03:12 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i think not so much a spiritual happening...more like a religeous experience.

religion and spiritual are not the same, it's simply a spiritual experience. Religion is for people who don't want to got hell, spirituality is for people who have been in hell.
10th March 2008 02:02 PM
guitarman53
quote:
pdog wrote:

religion and spiritual are not the same, it's simply a spiritual experience. Religion is for people who don't want to got hell, spirituality is for people who have been in hell.

Thanks Pdog for this, people who have never had the experience don't have a clue as to what their talking about, if you haven't been there, how can you know what it's all about?
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)