ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones bassist goes back to his roots Return to archive
7th March 2008 08:14 AM
moy Rolling Stones bassist goes back to his roots
Comment

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings at the City Hall. DB3670P16
BILL WYMAN, CITY HALL, SALISBURY

OL' stone-faced Bill Wyman and his mates gave Salisbury a shot of rhythm and blues par excellence on Tuesday night, on a tour of their musical roots that took in soul, blues, rock 'n' roll, jive, skiffle and even a bit of Cajun zydeco.

The former Rolling Stones bassist has surrounded himself with great musicians with a shared love of music and the joy of playing live.

They may have seemed a well seasoned, craggy bunch but with the likes of legendary guitarist Albert Lee, Welsh keyboard wizard Geraint Watkins and ace sax player Frank Mead on board, they are an ultra-tight outfit who can play anything and have a good deal of fun in the process.

Special guest for the tour is Dennis Locorriere, of Dr Hook fame, proving himself a fine soul singer, negotiating gems from back catalogues of Ray Charles and Marvin Gaye as well as a fine duet on the Harlem Shuffle with the band's regular vocalist (and certainly youngest member) Beverley Skeete.

Along with sterling versions of tracks by The Coasters, T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino, Gene Vincent, Wilson Picket and Lonnie Donegan, there were several unexpected but inspired choices. A jazzy Johnny B Goode preceded by a very droll recitation of the lyrics in the style of Dylan Thomas, courtesy of the deadpan mirth-maker Mr Watkins and a Memphis soul take on Bob Dylan's Maggie's Farm a la Solomon Burke. Dennis's heartfelt version of Randy Newman's Louisiana 1927 had the appreciative audience on their feet.

advertisement

Throughout the evening the inter-band banter was both dry and witty, usually revolving around the age of Bill Wyman. Mind you, without the pressures of stardom, Bill exudes an easy charisma and seems to be having the time of his life. Also on the humorous side, I've got to mention the funky horn players, Nick Payn and Frank Mead, who virtually had a show of their own going on their side of the stage with their clever choreography and crazy antics.

By the time we reached the last note of Beverley Skeete's spine- tingling rendition of Screaming Jay's I Put a Spell on You, the crowd were up on their feet once again roaring for more.

The gig ended with a rousing romp through Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell, which simply took the roof off.

After that, who could ask for anything more?

Roger Elliott

12:40pm Thursday 6th March 2008
7th March 2008 01:25 PM
guitarman53 Glad Bill is doing good, he looks awful old, but it will never come close to the years he was in the Stones, maybe he's enjoying himself now, he doesn't have all these personalities to deal with, has anybody ever found out the truth as to why Mick Taylor left the band? couldn't deal with Keith? or became to much of a junkie?
7th March 2008 02:18 PM
Sioux I thought he was frustrated, as Brian Jones and Bill Wyman had been, that none of their compositions were ever seriously considered for any Stones projects. Well, Bill did have a song or two, but nobody could break through the Glimmer Twins songwriting syndicate.
7th March 2008 03:07 PM
guitarman53 Right on Sioux!! your on the same wave length as I am, reading Bill's book "Stone Alone" I can see why he left The Stones, he never got the recognition that he deserves, instead he got The Stone That Never moves, but instead of getting stoned & wasted, he remembers the whole story, his book, is a lot more accurate then Ronnie's book, who I'm surprised has got a few more brain cells.
7th March 2008 07:37 PM
Sioux Bill's books are quite informative, and, since he kept extensive diaries in the 60's, I tend to think that he put down what was really happening. He doesn't have to rely on a 40+ year old memory.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)