ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Davies announces US tour Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th March 2008 09:56 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ray Davies announces US tour
The Kinks man will hit the road this spring
Mar 5, 2008
NME

The Kinks frontman Ray Davies has announced a North American tour this spring in support of his second solo album 'Working Man's Café'.

Davies will play several historic theatres throughout the country backed by a full band.

He'll kick off the tour in San Francisco on March 28 and play dates in Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto and Boston before wrapping up the tour in New York on April 8.

The tour dates are:

San Francisco, CA The Warfield (March 28)
Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre (29)
Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre (April 1)
Toronto, ON Music Hall Theatre (3)
Upper Darby, PA Tower Theatre (5)
Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre (6)
New York, NY Beacon Theatre (8)

----------------------------------------------------------

Ray Davies Remains A Hard Working Man
Wednesday March 05, 2008 @ 05:30 PM
ChartAttack.com Staff
—Steve McLean

It's been 44 years since The Kinks exploded on to the scene with the proto-punk classic, "You Really Got Me." As you'd probably expect, Ray Davies — the man who wrote, sang and played guitar on that track and numerous other memorable Kinks songs over the years — isn't making that kind of riff-heavy rock these days. But while the multi-talented 63 year old's music has mellowed, his lyrics have rarely been sharper than on his recently released New West album, Working Man's Cafe.

Some of the songs were written between 1999 and 2003, at the same time as those that appeared on 2006's Other People's Lives, while he penned others after being shot in the leg in New Orleans while chasing down a mugger in January 2004. He had 35 songs to choose from before he recorded the album in two weeks in Nashville with producer Ray Kennedy (Steve Earle, The V-Roys) last March.

"It's the first record I've made where I'm the only English person on it," the London-born Davies says of Working Man's Cafe, a collection of as intelligently written and keenly observational songs as you're likely to hear this year. It's the most American-influenced album of his career, both lyrically and with its musical mix of pop, jangly rock, roots and subtle jazz.

"As a kid, like so many millions of other people, America came to me in the form of westerns and John Wayne movies and adventure stories," says the man considered the godfather of Brit-pop and a major influence on Blur, Oasis, Supergrass and many others. "'Vietnam Cowboys' is about how culture spreads. But now there's a backlash and the Third World is coming back, certainly in China and those places."

"No One Listen" was written as a result of the helplessness he felt in being given the run-around by authorities as he sought justice following his shooting. The title track and "The Real World" are about trying to find a comfortable place in life, "Hymn For A New Age" tackles religion and "One More Time" takes an anti-corporate stance. Such songs can be looked at both micro- and macrocosmically, so one can interpret personal and more far-reaching themes, but there's no denying how close "Morphine Song" is to Davies.

"I wrote it on a notepad in the hospital. I was in intensive care and I was actually afraid because they thought I could die, not so much because of the wound in my leg, but from a heart attack or something from the shock. I wrote that and, when I did the record, I just read it from the notepad. I only changed one name. Nothing else was changed."

The deluxe edition of Working Man's Cafe comes with a second disc featuring a film called Americana: A Work In Progress that Davies made about his experiences over the course of writing and recording songs for the past two albums. It's not his first foray into the medium — having written and directed a 1985 made-for-television film called Return To Waterloo in 1985 and a Charles Mingus documentary titled Weird Nightmare six years later — but it's something he'd like to do more of.

But that may have to wait until another project called The Ripper, which Davies envisions playing "in a good, old-fashioned Victorian music hall," is out of the way. The stage musical (which includes a song called "I, The Victim" that's included as a bonus track on Working Man's Cafe) is loosely based on a woman his great-grandmother knew who was an aspiring music hall singer who came close to encountering Jack The Ripper and allegedly knew one of his victims.

"It's theatre of the absurd," says the 1990 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductee who claims to have never heard of Dallas, Texas indie rock band The Deathray Davies. "It's actually called poor theatre. It's extremely minimalist."

But the main project that most people want to know about is the rumoured reunion of The Kinks. That came through loud and clear the day after this interview took place, when Davies performed and signed autographs at Toronto's Yonge Street HMV superstore. While three songs from Working Man's Cafe received polite receptions, the large crowd clapped and sang along joyously when he performed "Lola."

Original Kinks bassist Pete Quaife (who worked as a graphic designer and lived in Belleville, Ont. for 25 years until moving to Denmark in 2005) and drummer Mick Avory are all for getting back together, Davies says. His brother, lead guitarist Dave Davies, has been holding out.

"The real deal is that Dave had a stroke and was quite ill, but he's playing again now. He says he's just not ready to go into the studio for six months. But when we made albums with The Kinks in the '80s, I'd do the back tracks with everybody and he'd fly in and do his guitar bit and leave. He's never been one to spend a lot of time."

Davies has saved two or three songs that he thinks would be good for The Kinks, "but I wouldn't start writing seriously unless everyone said they wanted to do it." While he says he has a back-up plan regarding his younger brother's involvement, he won't reveal it.

"It's an alternative way of doing it to make him comfortable, but he's got to agree to do it first."

Davies returned home to London from Toronto to rehearse for a tour of Australia and New Zealand, but will return to North America in late March and play Toronto's Music Hall on April 3. Tickets go on sale through Ticketmaster at 10 a.m. on Thursday.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
5th March 2008 10:01 PM
pdog Yes! I got that email from Live Nation or TicketBastard the other day. Saw Ray live same place almost two years ago... great show. Def. hoping to see this one.
5th March 2008 10:35 PM
robpop Yinzergirl can you make it its only a four hour drive?

Upper Darby, PA Tower Theatre (5)
5th March 2008 10:49 PM
Throwaway I'll be making the 2 hour drive to the Tower in April. It will be a fun show. Too bad the tour isn't more extensive, I'm hoping he plays lots of WMC, some OPL, and lots of Kinks nuggets.
6th March 2008 11:52 AM
Martha I bet he never comes back to Denver. The 2,500 seat venue was less than half full when we saw him in 2006. We met Ray afterwards and got his signature. He put on an incredible show. Denver is not a music town though. I couldn't believe no one came to see him. That was my first clue about the lack of music out here.

Those of you who can get to these dates GO! You will love it.

peace out,
Martha

6th March 2008 12:00 PM
glencar I'm thinking about it...
6th March 2008 12:24 PM
Gimme Shelter I saw him on his 20th Century Man tour and the show was incredible. I'm still hoping for a Kinks tour.
6th March 2008 12:46 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm thinking about it...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxoo,
Martha
6th March 2008 12:50 PM
glencar It's all a matter of scheduling, Martha. I loved the Allmans & the RS at the Beacon.
6th March 2008 04:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I'm still hoping for a Kinks tour.

I guess they're waiting on Dave. If they do it won't get anywhere near the hype a Zep tour would....but it would be better music I'll bet.
6th March 2008 07:14 PM
Sioux
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I guess they're waiting on Dave. If they do it won't get anywhere near the hype a Zep tour would....but it would be better music I'll bet.

Agreed.
6th March 2008 08:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Unfortunatelty we're fast approaching the end of the era.

So get it while you can.
6th March 2008 08:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I love LOLA but it gets too much airplay.

6th March 2008 08:21 PM
robpop
quote:
Unfortunatelty we're fast approaching the end of the era.

So get it while you can.

I agree. THere will not be a band I would pay to see in ten years.
6th March 2008 08:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
6th March 2008 08:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
robpop wrote:

I agree. THere will not be a band I would pay to see in ten years.

LOL. We'll survive. As long as we have a stick and a tin can.
6th March 2008 08:34 PM
robpop
quote:

LOL. We'll survive. As long as we have a stick and a tin can.

I'll be ok as long as they still make 16 oz cans.
6th March 2008 08:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
6th March 2008 08:45 PM
glencar That ain't gonna get most people excited!
6th March 2008 08:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Starbuck might be right. I may be a retard. But I know what I like when I hear it. the rest is just ...well it just doesn't matter.
6th March 2008 08:48 PM
glencar Oh he's definitely right. You make Omarosa look like a business titan.
6th March 2008 08:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh he's definitely right. You make Omarosa look like a business titan.

References?
6th March 2008 08:54 PM
glencar Mine eyes.
6th March 2008 08:57 PM
robpop
quote:

That song brings back so many great memories. What was it 25 years ago? Damn, I was on a state championship baseball team. After the championship game that song was playing and we were dancing all over the field. Fuck, those were the days.
6th March 2008 09:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
robpop wrote:
That song brings back so many great memories. What was it 25 years ago? Damn, I was on a state championship baseball team.

Just to put it in perspective JJF was in 1968. 40 Years ago.

6th March 2008 09:38 PM
glencar Obviously, there was a Golden Age.
6th March 2008 09:48 PM
guitarman53 One of my favorites.
6th March 2008 10:06 PM
robpop
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
One of my favorites.

Thanks for posting that.
7th March 2008 04:08 PM
guitarman53 I saw The Kinks around about '71, they were playing Massey Hall in Toronto, Ray Davies was so drunk, that he got the whole audience to sing "You Are My Sunshine" the drummer (Mick Avery) was so drunk that he was lifted up because he was passing out! a guy just grabbed him by the hair & lifted him up,
Ray Davies was going on & on about "your knee bone is connected to your leg bone" & so on.
Love The band of the 60's, Mick Jagger once said that the only people who were writing about social problems, were The Stones & Ray Davies (I'd put Pete Townsend too)

8th March 2008 11:37 PM
Gimme Shelter
quote:

I heard an interview with Dave on the radio last week and he said he would be up for a tour if they would play more obscure songs not just the hits so I'm optimistic.

[Edited by Gimme Shelter]
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)