ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Moses was high on hallucinogenic drugs Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th March 2008 07:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Moses was high on hallucinogenic drug when he received Ten Commandments,' claims top academic
5th March 2008
Daily Mail

When Moses received the Ten Commandments from God, he was summoned right to the top of Mount Sinai.

But the man who led the Children of Israel to safety may have been even higher at the time, if an Israeli academic is to be believed.

Psychology professor Benny Shanon says it was likely Moses was hallucinating under the influence of a mind-altering drug at the time of his biblical achievements.

Taking the tablets: Professor Benny Shanon says it was likely Moses was hallucinating when he received the Ten Commandments

To back up his theory, Professor Shanon says the acacia tree, frequently mentioned in the Bible, contains one of the most psychedelic substances known to man.

The professor, who came up with his theory after experiencing firsthand the effects of a hallucinogenic brew used in religious rituals in Brazil, said the story of Moses and the burning bush also had the hallmarks of a psychedelic experience.

The account in the Book of Exodus of the bush's ability to burn without being "consumed" is generally attributed to the presence and power of God.

But to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Professor Shanon, who freely admits to having experimented with mind-bending substance "about 160 times in various locales in contexts", it is evidence of the power of drugs.

Writing in the journal Time And Mind, the professor said the telltale signs of drug-induced visions included a loss of sense of time, seeing bright lights or fire, the blurring of the senses and profound religious and spiritual feelings.

"I propose that this event involved no change in the real world, having nothing to do with either the bush or the fire," he said.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
5th March 2008 07:45 AM
luxury1 Christ, I wrote a paper for a college religion course making these same claims...I should have had it published.

And what about the Native American Indians with their peace pipe?? They've also fabricated some bizarre visions/beliefs.
[Edited by luxury1]
5th March 2008 07:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Christ, I wrote a paper for a college religion course making these same claims...I should have had it published.

Cool. You were way ahead of your time.
5th March 2008 10:15 AM
Joey

< ----- Robert Moses ?!

Yes , Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins )

" RM " ---- ! :
5th March 2008 10:26 AM
Lazy Bones LOL...someone was high in this story. I'm betting it wasn't Moses...
5th March 2008 10:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
LOL...someone was high in this story. I'm betting it wasn't Moses...

Yes ... it's usually a wise idea not to mock the prophets too much. Personally I don't see all that much wrong with the Ten Commandments. They seem just common sense to me.
5th March 2008 10:35 AM
Joey " They seem just common sense to me. "

5th March 2008 10:40 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
" They seem just common sense to me. "

Oh, I can see where liars, theives, murderers, adulterers, and petty criminals might not like them though.
5th March 2008 10:42 AM
Joey " Oh, I can see where liars, theives, murderers, adulterers, and petty criminals
might not like them though."

5th March 2008 10:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Joey was high on hallucinogenic drugs when he posted that
5th March 2008 11:26 AM
Joey
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Joey was high on hallucinogenic drugs when he posted that

Hi Voodoo ..........................

You are correct --- I even see ' Keith ' right now .
5th March 2008 12:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Joey wrote:
You are correct --- I even see ' Keith ' right now .

None of both statemens is new here, we know it Joey, we do know it
5th March 2008 03:42 PM
Highwire Rob

5th March 2008 03:51 PM
pdog all religions seems like a bunch of people high on drugs to me...
5th March 2008 05:33 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
all religions seems like a bunch of people high on drugs to me...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5th March 2008 05:38 PM
snap13 I believe in God and Jesus Christ.....I don't think Moses was high.
5th March 2008 05:54 PM
fireontheplatter tablets and tabs. i remember those days...sort of.
5th March 2008 05:57 PM
snap13
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
tablets and tabs. i remember those days...sort of.

AGENT- is that your dog in the picture?
5th March 2008 07:26 PM
mojoman moonie yer thoughts?
5th March 2008 07:39 PM
stonedinaustralia well i don't know about moses but john the revelator must have been seriously whacked on something - lakes of fire , numbered beasts, the mother of all harlots - the list goes on - it makes Altamont look like a picnic - to paraphrase Sonny B. - those old christians were loaded on some drugs that it's just to bad we weren't loaded on cos when they come running over the hill yelling "aaaaaahhhh" they were seeing shit i had NO IDEA about...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
5th March 2008 09:10 PM
robpop Damn, I thought this thread was about Moses Malone.
[Edited by robpop]
5th March 2008 11:07 PM
Joey
quote:
robpop wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was about Moses Malone.

The Sixers in Fo' ?!

6th March 2008 12:20 AM
mojoman
quote:
robpop wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was about Moses Malone.

or grandma moses
6th March 2008 09:26 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
mojoman wrote:
moonie yer thoughts?

Moses was one of the more unsympathetic Bible characters. Holier-than-thou creep. I'll guarantee he made up two or three of those Commandments on his own - that nonsense about your neighbor's wife? Jesus fucking Christ, gimme a break. And yeah, I'll bet he was high on something when he was working the tablets.
6th March 2008 10:22 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I'll guarantee he made up two or three of those Commandments on his own - that nonsense about your neighbor's wife? Jesus fucking Christ, gimme a break. And yeah, I'll bet he was high on something when he was working the tablets.

Christ, that's posting on loan from God right there.

That's miracle on ice postin'!
6th March 2008 10:45 AM
Stonesian Fox That's right ol' chap, give'm the ol' Heave Ho

Heave Ho!
6th March 2008 10:54 AM
nankerphelge Notice that none of the 10 Commandments says Thou Shalt Not Do Drugs!

I think that pretty much says it all.

6th March 2008 11:13 AM
polytoxic
quote:
pdog wrote:
all religions seems like a bunch of people high on drugs to me...

Amen.
6th March 2008 05:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
it makes Altamont look like a picnic - to paraphrase Sonny B. - those old christians were loaded on some drugs that it's just to bad we weren't loaded on cos when they come running over the hill yelling "aaaaaahhhh" they were seeing shit i had NO IDEA about...

Sonny B?

6th March 2008 05:03 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Notice that none of the 10 Commandments says Thou Shalt Not Do Drugs!

I think that pretty much says it all.

Nanky

You make Joey smile
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)