ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alice Cooper Band appreciation Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th February 2008 10:11 PM
guitarman53 Alice Cooper goes a long way for me, back in '69, people booed them of the stage, they were considered weird & possibly gay, I remember them at a rock festival, 1970, called "Beggar's Banquet" they passed out apples & oranges to the people there, when A.C. hit the stage they were pelted with these, & Alice caught a few of them & mentioned, " I didn't know you cared" very camp, & that made the audience even madder, he would throw them back in the audience like a little girl would throw a ball.
They also used to rip open pillow cases, full of chicken feathers, & Michael Bruce (guitarist) would use a fire ext.to blow the feathers everywhere.
They were totally original, great songs (by the way written by the band members, not just Alice Cooper (the person)
One of the greatest concerts I was ever at was at Winters Pop, 1971, at Maple Leaf Gardens on New Years Eve, that was during the "Killer" tour, when he got hung in the gallows for the first time, I was right up front about 3 mobs away from the stage, they played like a very tight band, & could they rock!!!
The original band broke-up in '74, Vincent Furnier made Alice Cooper his legal name, he owns the name, even though he was just a lead singer & didn't write totally the hits their so famous for, but I don't think there's bad blood or resentment in the original members.
I love all the Alice cooper albums with the original band, even "Pretties For You" & "Easy Action" they were quite a original band.
Vince Furnier (Alice Cooper) on Marilyn Manson "well for one thing he's got a girl's name, he wears make-up & is into horror, how original can you get"?
20th February 2008 10:21 PM
robpop
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Alice Cooper goes a long way for me, back in '69, people booed them of the stage, they were considered weird & possibly gay, I remember them at a rock festival, 1970, called "Beggar's Banquet" they passed out apples & oranges to the people there, when A.C. hit the stage they were pelted with these, & Alice caught a few of them & mentioned, " I didn't know you cared" very camp, & that made the audience even madder, he would throw them back in the audience like a little girl would throw a ball.
They also used to rip open pillow cases, full of chicken feathers, & Michael Bruce (guitarist) would use a fire ext.to blow the feathers everywhere.
They were totally original, great songs (by the way written by the band members, not just Alice Cooper (the person)
One of the greatest concerts I was ever at was at Winters Pop, 1971, at Maple Leaf Gardens on New Years Eve, that was during the "Killer" tour, when he got hung in the gallows for the first time, I was right up front about 3 mobs away from the stage, they played like a very tight band, & could they rock!!!
The original band broke-up in '74, Vincent Furnier made Alice Cooper his legal name, he owns the name, even though he was just a lead singer & didn't write totally the hits their so famous for, but I don't think there's bad blood or resentment in the original members.
I love all the Alice cooper albums with the original band, even "Pretties For You" & "Easy Action" they were quite a original band.
Vince Furnier (Alice Cooper) on Marilyn Manson "well for one thing he's got a girl's name, he wears make-up & is into horror, how original can you get"?

Nice start to a great thread to be. Great topic. Coop is the poop. One of my favorites.
20th February 2008 10:22 PM
guitarman53 I love this song, a real rocking classic.
20th February 2008 10:34 PM
robpop
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I love this song, a real rocking classic.

Nice. I enjoyed that. This may be Alice's cheesiest song, but I never get sick of it my billion dollar babies.

20th February 2008 10:47 PM
guitarman53 Thanks Robopop, for "Be My Lover" that's his daughter with him, not quite the threating spirit of '72, but the band played good, but it's still not like the way the song meant back in '72.
20th February 2008 11:06 PM
sirmoonie Love it, love it, love it!

I slipped into my jeans
Lookin hard and feelin mean
I took a spit at the moon
It's all in this luney tune

He's canned and loving it!

20th February 2008 11:07 PM
GotToRollMe Alice Cooper circa 1970-74 was THE SHIT! "Love It To Death," "Killer" and "School's Out" were played to SHREDS on my stereo.

Moonie beat me to it with the original.

Here's a more recent version...

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
20th February 2008 11:10 PM
robpop
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Love it, love it, love it!

I slipped into my jeans
Lookin hard and feelin mean
I took a spit at the moon
It's all in this luney tune

He's canned and loving it!

Dude you should have been there years back at Yinzer Civic Arena when Alice played there. You may have been there,; I don't remember who was there, but I was.
20th February 2008 11:16 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
robpop wrote:

Dude you should have been there years back at Yinzer Civic Arena when Alice played there. You may have been there,; I don't remember who was there, but I was.

I wasn't there. I wish I was. I love goddam Alice Cooper music.
20th February 2008 11:26 PM
guitarman53 Vincent Furnier playing a guitar from that video??? he's just using it as a prop, he's not a guitarist, I much prefer him as a showman, that's why the old videos mean a lot, he was just the lead singer & showman.
Brainbell Jangler I appreate the hell out of ACB. Killer and Love It To Death are worthy components of any good rock collection. I have a special fondness for "I'm Eighteen" because it was a hit when I was 18.
andrews27 I saw ACG in 1974 at Memorial Aud in Buffalo, with virgins ZZ Top opening. I read now that things were falling apart on the Muscle of Love tour, that somebody backstage was doubling the guitarist, whose amp had been turned off, etc. But they were great at the time, and I wasn't even a kid who did the makeup and then moved on to Kiss. However, live recordings tend to show them as overrated by the time of the Billion Dollar Babies tour, and I believe my ears. Loved that Aud show, though.
[Edited by andrews27]
20th February 2008 11:39 PM
guitarman53
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
I saw ACG in 1974 at Memorial Aud in Buffalo, with virgins ZZ Top opening. I read now that things were falling apart on the Muscle of Love tour, that somebody backstage was doubling the guitarist, whose amp had been turned off, etc. But they were great at the time, and I wasn't even a kid who did the makeup and then moved on to Kiss. However, live recordings tend to show them as overrated by the time of the Billion Dollar Babies tour, and I believe my ears. Loved that Aud show, though.
[Edited by andrews27]

I saw the same tour in Toronto, things were falling apart for the band, later in the book "Billion Dollar Babies" written by Bob Greene it explains what happened, I still have the same book that I bought back in '75, it's a good read, & the lead guitarist, Glen Buxton, was indeed being done by a another guitarist, hired for the tour, to fill in his lead lines, because he became such a alcoholic that he couldn't play anymore, & he turned to Cocaine instead.
20th February 2008 11:54 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Vincent Furnier playing a guitar from that video??? he's just using it as a prop, he's not a guitarist, I much prefer him as a showman, that's why the old videos mean a lot, he was just the lead singer & showman.

Yeah, there are enough guitar players on that stage to start FIVE bands...lol
Here's a nice one with the REAL Alice Cooper Band;

20th February 2008 11:59 PM
GotToRollMe Always loved this one.

21st February 2008 12:08 AM
guitarman53
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Yeah, there are enough guitar players on that stage to start FIVE bands...lol
Here's a nice one with the REAL Alice Cooper Band;

GTRM, where did you come up with that? a real gem, A.C. playing it by ear! I think this might have been filmed for a T.V. special on CTV that never happened, I remember this friend who went there & said afterwards, his black velvet jacket was covered with chicken feathers because they did their pillow case thing.
21st February 2008 12:50 AM
guitarman53
21st February 2008 01:09 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

GTRM, where did you come up with that? a real gem, A.C. playing it by ear! I think this might have been filmed for a T.V. special on CTV that never happened, I remember this friend who went there & said afterwards, his black velvet jacket was covered with chicken feathers because they did their pillow case thing.

It says it's from the Detroit Tube Works, 1971. Here's a site you may find interesting:
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/timelines/t-ea.php
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/SickthingsTV/index.php#
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
21st February 2008 05:46 AM
Jumping Jack I saw the New Year's Eve show in Buffalo on the B$B tour and can tell you he rocks far harder now than then. The Coop is as entertaining as ever (second only to Jagger) and has top flight musicians playing with him. His shows have the crowd on theie feet throughout the show, something the Stones, Who, and VH can't say. Some of his new songs like Dirty Diamonds and WOMD get as much reaction live as any of the old stuff, but gets no airplay.

Coop still kicks ass and for $40-50 is the best deal around.

Do yourself a favor, GO BUY THE MONTREUX 2005 DVD.

ps. COOP BELONG IN THE NY HOF!!!
21st February 2008 06:59 AM
guitarman53 Members of the original band have some websites.
http://www.nealsmith.com/events.htm
Neal Smith Rock | Events

http://www.dennisdunaway.com/
dennisdunaway.com | official site
21st February 2008 10:35 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Always loved this one.

Awesome!
21st February 2008 12:31 PM
andrews27
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I saw the same tour in Toronto, things were falling apart for the band, later in the book "Billion Dollar Babies" written by Bob Greene it explains what happened, I still have the same book that I bought back in '75, it's a good read, & the lead guitarist, Glen Buxton, was indeed being done by a another guitarist, hired for the tour, to fill in his lead lines, because he became such a alcoholic that he couldn't play anymore, & he turned to Cocaine instead.

I read the book co-authored by Mike Bruce. I liked that Buffalo show and it's a fond memory, incl. the Z.Z. Top opener. But when I listen to Billion Dollar Babies tour recordings, the band and show (especially the production numbers) sound less impressive than they should. Lou Reed's rocking harder at about the same time, and he did the whole Berlin production with Bob Ezrin, too. The ACG seem to be underachieving on stage, like Mott the Hoople were about then. I might be more impressed if I found *any* ACG (or Mott) boots that let me actually hear what went on. They all suck - no ACG boot has made me happy, yet. And as far as getting show-bizzy production numbers across as rock - well, Fee Waybill and the Tubes were around the corner (thankfully not for long), and Meat Loaf not far away.

What I'm trying to say is that the BDB and MOL tours were probably enhanced by being there, but there's something lacking in the BDB recordings without the visuals. Meanwhile, Hunter and Wagner are creating guitar symphonies behind Lou Reed, as on Rock and Roll Animal. Still love all the ACG albums, though. They should build a monument to those, maybe in Phoenix, AZ.

[Edited by andrews27]
21st February 2008 05:13 PM
Jumping Jack That vid of Be My Lover is by a cover band.

Now the Dwight vid is how he really sounds now!
21st February 2008 05:19 PM
Jumping Jack I caught the Coop huggin my wife on his tour bus last fall, I could have killed him, LOL.

21st February 2008 06:31 PM
fireontheplatter love it to death was the 1st redord album i ever bought. i don't really care much for this guy anymore
21st February 2008 06:53 PM
charlotte great pics Jumping Jack...I have not been the same since I had front row seats, elbows on the stage, to the Killer Show....a few years a go.....!
21st February 2008 07:13 PM
Jumping Jack Gotta love those front row seats. Just make sure those red boots don't step on your fingers.

21st February 2008 08:05 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I caught the Coop huggin my wife on his tour bus last fall, I could have killed him, LOL.

Coop? Id be more concerned about the other guy checking out Tippys ass...lol
21st February 2008 08:34 PM
edithgrove Vote for Alice !!

http://www.stage6.com/Blue-Island-Rock/video/1596552/Alice-Cooper---Elected
21st February 2008 09:31 PM
sirmoonie That Reverend Smedley guy, I'm pretty sure he posts here a lot.

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)