ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Werchter Park, Werchter 5th June 2007
© and thanks to coowouters
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: zilker park vs the rio dvd show Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th February 2008 05:54 PM
fireontheplatter i am not sure if i have cabin fever or spring fever..which is just around the corner in new paltz, ny.

i did the zilker park show on valantines day and just today i did the rio show. both shows i watched in full.

i got to say i am liking the rio show more just because they play wild horses and night time is the right time and if you listen carefully keith does a trill riiiiiioooooo before introducing his song set. i never have a problen hearing miss you going to the small stage.

which is your favorite dvd?

discuss

if this thread strays off course...well, so be it, thats cool
15th February 2008 06:07 PM
lotsajizz rio is as I remember it

austin is dubbed big time
15th February 2008 06:07 PM
speedfreakjive i've only seen Learning The Game from Austin, and that was excellent, but i watched Rio live, on the net that is, having seen bits of Buenos Aires I'd say that was better than Rio, a killer version of Midnight Rambler.
15th February 2008 06:10 PM
Gazza The sheer spectacle and event that was Rio makes it the high point of the entire tour. I thought it was a very good performance too.

hard to accurately compare Austin because whilst Rio was broadcast (almost) live and complete (and exists as a complete show on bootleg DVD), I dont think theres even been an audience recording of Austin and the DVD is edited and includes a lot of overdubbing.

Austin had a more interesting setlist though and whilst Rio may (rightly) have been the one show for which this tour will always be remembered, the version of 'Learning The Game' from Austin is worth the price of the entire DVD for me on its own. Best thing on any Stones DVD/video release in decades and the performance of a lifetime by Keith.....and the f***er never played it before or since
15th February 2008 06:17 PM
mrhipfl I love the Rio show. It was just so dirty and sweaty and rock n' roll. They all played fantastic, too. Buenos Aires should have been released in full , too imo just because it was sucha great crowd and energy.
15th February 2008 07:08 PM
GotToRollMe Buenos Aires.
15th February 2008 07:31 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Rio.

Effin' HUGE - and the crowd was pretty big, too...
15th February 2008 07:31 PM
glencar I didn't realize Austin was dubbed but I prefer it.
15th February 2008 07:37 PM
mrhipfl The dubbing ruins parts of the Austin show for me. It sounds like someone's tearing out Mick's balls during Get off my cloud.
15th February 2008 10:29 PM
Bloozehound Rio ? lay of the Schlitz

Virgins of Austin

Only there will you get a taste of the magic dust
16th February 2008 12:14 AM
andrews27 The Rio show and the Asian shows are the best stuff there, particularly with how lousy Keith looks and how lacklustre his playing is at Zilker. It's a crime that Zilker is letterboxed and the other discs are not - CHEAP-ASS MILLIONAIRE MOTHERFUCKERS PUT CRAP CONCERT IN FANCY FRAME. MONA LISA WITH A TURD-FACE! Almost as bad as No Security.
[Edited by andrews27]
16th February 2008 07:09 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
The Rio show and the Asian shows are the best stuff there, particularly with how lousy Keith looks and how lacklustre his playing is at Zilker. It's a crime that Zilker is letterboxed and the other discs are not - CHEAP-ASS MILLIONAIRE MOTHERFUCKERS PUT CRAP CONCERT IN FANCY FRAME. MONA LISA WITH A TURD-FACE! Almost as bad as No Security.
[Edited by andrews27]

lol
16th February 2008 07:56 AM
Quiquestone
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I love the Rio show...but Buenos Aires should have been released in full , too imo just because it was sucha great crowd and energy.

I second that!!!
16th February 2008 11:20 AM
Bloozehound nuthin like jamming some Schlitz to Zilker on the phat screen and going, dude, this is so letterboxed, you know, just like I told the dude on ABC, danger is my business !

18th February 2008 03:53 AM
corgi37 The sound on all the shows is pretty crap. The sonic quality drops off dramatically after the opening crap & menu comes on.

But i like the Austin show because they totally went overboard with the pyro. The over dubbing is noticeable, but doesnt worry me too much.
19th February 2008 05:17 PM
Make It Funky Definetely the Austin show!!! The sheer energy of the Stones and magic of interplay for that is phenomenal! if only they played that way every night!!! I dont know what got into them before gettign on stage, (pharmaceutical coke perhaps?) but, it was teh show to see. I too am disappointed in the fiddling of the sound in the mixing room, but all in all.. those at Zilker Park are lucky bastards as they witnessed the true version of the Stones. (I think the Milan show also is up there)

Cheers!
19th February 2008 05:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Definetely the Austin show!!! The sheer energy of the Stones and magic of interplay for that is phenomenal! if only they played that way every night!!! I dont know what got into them before gettign on stage, (pharmaceutical coke perhaps?) but, it was teh show to see.

...but they apparently DIDNT play that way that night. LOL. Hence the overdubs.
19th February 2008 05:28 PM
Dan Austin is painful. Haven't really watched much of any of it, and the documentary is like a lousy late night infomercial. Compared to Four Flicks it's just a really weak and half assed effort overall.
19th February 2008 06:37 PM
sammy davis jr. I like Rio, but neither show really moves me. To quote Someguy: "Dudes Are Old". The previously mentioned Midnight Rambler is a good one as I remember it.
19th February 2008 07:19 PM
robpop
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Definetely the Austin show!!! The sheer energy of the Stones and magic of interplay for that is phenomenal! if only they played that way every night!!! I dont know what got into them before gettign on stage, (pharmaceutical coke perhaps?) but, it was teh show to see. I too am disappointed in the fiddling of the sound in the mixing room, but all in all.. those at Zilker Park are lucky bastards as they witnessed the true version of the Stones. (I think the Milan show also is up there)

Cheers!

Did you watch it stoned?
19th February 2008 10:16 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The sheer spectacle and event that was Rio makes it the high point of the entire tour. I thought it was a very good performance too.

hard to accurately compare Austin because whilst Rio was broadcast (almost) live and complete (and exists as a complete show on bootleg DVD), I dont think theres even been an audience recording of Austin and the DVD is edited and includes a lot of overdubbing.

Austin had a more interesting setlist though and whilst Rio may (rightly) have been the one show for which this tour will always be remembered, the version of 'Learning The Game' from Austin is worth the price of the entire DVD for me on its own. Best thing on any Stones DVD/video release in decades and the performance of a lifetime by Keith.....and the f***er never played it before or since

I was there on that beautiful evening, within 30 ft of the stage. Keith was jaw dropping. I couldn't agree more.

I still continue to hope that was not my final Stones gig. But if it is, well..... I'm still smiling.

Rick
19th February 2008 10:40 PM
lotsajizz it WAS a magical time...perhaps their 'last big hurrah'
20th February 2008 01:23 AM
Make It Funky haha Well, maybe YOU should watch it stoned!?? The first few songs are flawless (from what I remember, as Ive only seen it 3 times). I'd be happy if they just omitted the b-stage segment, which, is the over-dubbing part "in question". Its the energetic fantastic delivery of Mick & Keith that make Zilker happen!! Yeah, the obscure ditties are great, and apparently the audience was quite cooperative.. (as Leon Russell says "you put on a show for the band, and the band will put on a show for the audience") which is so true. This begs the question: Maybe its the apathetic front row concert goers who sit down that cuase the Stones to give so many lack lustre performances these days?? I remember being front row at a No Security gig, and while the Stones did a great version of Midnight Rambler, everyone was sitting down, dumfounded!! I was furious with them!!

Anyways.. I agree with you Dan: Four Flicks is incredible. Ive seen it ten times more than I'll ever attempt to watch of Biggest Bang. And PS: getting stoned and watching the Madison Square Garden HBO gig is fucking sweeeeeeet!! Rambler & Tumblin' Dice is killer!! :-)
20th February 2008 06:40 AM
lotsajizz ah, son, a LOT more than the b-stage sequence has overdubs
21st February 2008 01:03 PM
Mr Jurkka I like both. But the big thing what is bothering me in the rio gig is ronnie's drinking proplem .. he played badly few songs in there.

Zilker park was great. Pretty good set-list too.

I would choose Zilker... or rio.. zilker... rio.. i dont know.
21st February 2008 06:15 PM
samekath zilker was great because 1. i was there and got to see it. 2. they'd NEVER played austin, and 3. we got "learnin the game"

rio looked like it would have been FUN though!!!!
21st February 2008 11:12 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i am not sure if i have cabin fever or spring fever..which is just around the corner in new paltz, ny.

i did the zilker park show on valantines day and just today i did the rio show. both shows i watched in full.

i got to say i am liking the rio show more just because they play wild horses and night time is the right time and if you listen carefully keith does a trill riiiiiioooooo before introducing his song set. i never have a problen hearing miss you going to the small stage.

which is your favorite dvd?

discuss

if this thread strays off course...well, so be it, thats cool

Wow a worthwhile thread out ya. Kudos!!!
22nd February 2008 03:30 AM
DAVINO
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The sheer spectacle and event that was Rio makes it the high point of the entire tour. I thought it was a very good performance too.

the version of 'Learning The Game' from Austin is worth the price of the entire DVD

price????????????????????
22nd February 2008 03:33 AM
DAVINO
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:

I was there on that beautiful evening, within 30 ft of the stage. Keith was jaw dropping. I couldn't agree more.

I still continue to hope that was not my final Stones gig. But if it is, well..... I'm still smiling.

Rick

retarded whilst enumerbriated
22nd February 2008 04:27 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
DAVINO wrote:

retarded whilst enumerbriated

new rule: no using words with more than 4 syllables on this forum. ( Gazza? Voodoo? Please??!)

WTF? this isn't even a word!
[Edited by mrhipfl]
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)