ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For sure: ''The Big Bopper'' died in plane crash Return to archive
10th March 2007 09:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels For sure: ''The Big Bopper'' died in plane crash
Posted: 2007/03/10

(Xinhuanet) -- No gun was involved and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson died immediately from massive fractures in the 1959 plane crash that also killed early rock 'n' rollers Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens, according to a forensic anthropologist Tuesday.

The findings by Dr. Bill Bass put to rest rumors a gun might have been fired on the plane and the Big Bopper might have survived the crash and died trying to help.

The performer's son, Jay Richardson, asked Bass, a well-known forensic anthropologist at the University of Tennessee, to look at the remains in Beaumont, Texas. Bass took X-rays of the body and found nothing Tuesday to support theories about a gun.

"There was no indication of foul play," Bass said in a telephone interview from Beaumont. "There are fractures from head to toe. Massive fractures. ... (He) died immediately. He didn't crawl away. He didn't walk away from the plane."

The singing stars’plane crashed after taking off from Mason City, Iowa, on Feb. 3, 1959 -- a tragedy memorialized as "the day the music died" in Don McLean's song "American Pie."

Jay Richardson, who performs in tribute shows as "The Big Bopper Jr.," never knew his father, who gained fame with the hit "Chantilly Lace." His mother was pregnant with him when his father died.

Richardson was present when Bass opened the coffin Tuesday and observed his examination. He said he was pleased with the findings because it proved the investigators "knew what they were talking about 48 years ago."

"I was hoping to put the rumors to rest," he said.

Bass and Richardson were surprised to find the body preserved enough to be recognizable.

"Dad still amazes me 48 years after his death, that he was in remarkable shape," Richardson said. "I surprised myself. I handled it better than I thought I would."

The Civil Aeronautics Board determined pilot error was the cause of the crash. A gun that belonged to Holly was found at the crash site, fueling rumors the pilot was shot, but no one has ever proved a gun was fired during the flight.

The body was reburied in the cemetery but in a different plot, where there will be room for a graveside statue later.

Bass, 78, is a pioneer in his field and has worked on famous cases. He confirmed the identity of the Lindbergh baby, who was kidnapped in 1932 and murdered.

11th March 2007 07:05 AM
Zack [quote]
Bass and Richardson were surprised to find the body preserved enough to be recognizable.

"Dad still amazes me 48 years after his death, that he was in remarkable shape," Richardson said. "I surprised myself. I handled it better than I thought I would."

That is just ridiculous and disgusting. The guy crashed into the ground at 200 mph. Probably why the Jones freaks want to dig him up too - to get another look at their golden boy.

Like John Prine sang:

"Please don't bury me, down in that cold, cold ground."
Burn my ass up, if you please. When the time comes.
11th March 2007 08:00 AM
glencar Ghastly...
11th March 2007 08:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well I think that Elvis Presley's body should be exhumed. There's alot of rumors going around. Elvis may have faked his own death. What else could explain the rash of Elvis sightings over the years? We need to put these rumors to rest once and for all. If the body in Elvis grave really isn't the real Elvis, well then who is it? Was he the victim of foul play? Is there a body in Elvis' casket at all? So many unanswered questions. Maybe we should start a petition to exhume Elvis? I think so. The time has come for real answers. Who knows,if it were proven that Elvis is still alive maybe he'd do a comeback tour...or even a remake of Roustabout.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
11th March 2007 09:16 AM
glencar Let the dead rest!
12th March 2007 02:09 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
Let the dead rest!

Amen, brother..
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)