ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Stones books Return to archive
9th March 2007 09:57 PM
Jethrostone
I love to read anything about my favorite bands. I have the Rough Guide book, which is nice. Any other good books that have the Stones in it? Here were the ones I'm interested in reading:

STP- The book about the 1972 tour and all. Sounds really good.

Who Killed Christopher Robin?- Reviews on Amazon make it look like the best book on Brian out there.

Stone Alone- Bill's book! I'd love to hear what Bill has to say. Such a great bassist.

Rolling With The Stones- Bill's 2nd book.
9th March 2007 10:01 PM
BILL PERKS 1-TRUE ADVENUTRES BY STANLEY BOOTH..AN ABSOLUTE MUST
2-STP-GREENFIELD
3-UP AND DOWN WITH THE STONES TONY SANCHEZ
4-CHET FLIPPO BOOK ..SORRY DONT REMEM TITLE
5-KEITH RICHARDS-VICTOR BOCKRIS
6-KEITH RICHARDS BARBARA CHARONE
7-ACCORDING TO THE ROLLING STONES
AVOID ALL MICK BIO'S,OLD GODS AND STONE ALONE
9th March 2007 11:25 PM
gypsy My list would read just like PERKS'.
Excellent choices, my friend, although I still don't particularly care for your avatar.

Stay away from the Brian books. They're really gay.
10th March 2007 01:01 AM
Zack
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

Flippo's book is called It's Only Rock and Roll. Old Gods is a good read if you take it with a grain of salt. Avoid Booth's followup Keith: Standing in the Shadows. Classic Rock Albums: Exile on Main Street is a great song-by-song study of their greatest album. Hotchner's Blown Away has some interesting bits you again need to take with a grain of salt. He started the whole Brian was murdered businesses. Perks I don't particularly care for your avatar either.
10th March 2007 01:08 AM
gypsy Booth's "Rhythm Oil" is an excellent read.
10th March 2007 08:45 AM
tumbling dice
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
1-TRUE ADVENUTRES BY STANLEY BOOTH..AN ABSOLUTE MUST
2-STP-GREENFIELD
3-UP AND DOWN WITH THE STONES TONY SANCHEZ
5-KEITH RICHARDS-VICTOR BOCKRIS
6-KEITH RICHARDS BARBARA CHARONE
7-ACCORDING TO THE ROLLING STONES
AVOID ALL MICK BIO'S,OLD GODS AND STONE ALONE

I agree,but i will include Rolling with the Stones by Bill Wyman,it´s a beatiful book and it got sincere a sincere story.
10th March 2007 09:12 AM
fireontheplatter i have...A LIFE ON THE ROAD
awesome pictures in it
10th March 2007 09:38 AM
Jethrostone

Stay away from the Brian books. They're really gay.
[/quote]

Alight. Yeah, I saw on Amazon that many of them didn't get good reviews. The one I meantioned had the highest of the Brian books.
10th March 2007 09:44 AM
Trey Krimsin Anyone have an opinion on Greenfield's new book "Exile on Main Street: A Season in Hell with The Rolling Stones"?
10th March 2007 10:58 AM
Lord Homosex Perks' list is very good.
One book I would add that IMO is one of the best on Brit Rock and has tons of Stones chapters is "All the Rage" by Mac. A must!
Street Fighting Years
Life On The Road
In the beginning
and one called "The Rolling Stones" with a cover like the Black and Blue album are all really good picture books. The Micael Cooper book. Like someone said : avoid all Jagger bios, all Brian soaps and "Old Gods" and "Blown Away".
A good old one is by Dalton; the black and white one that only goes up to "Exile".
John Perry has a small book on Exile; song by song.
Colin McCabe has an excellent book on "Performance" that totally changed the way I saw the film.
10th March 2007 11:00 AM
gypsy
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on Greenfield's new book "Exile on Main Street: A Season in Hell with The Rolling Stones"?

Weak. I bought it...it's only value is the Anita content. Other than that, it's worthless.
10th March 2007 11:05 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Weak. I bought it...it's only value is the Anita content. Other than that, it's worthless.

YES IT SUCKS-MAC'S BOOK IS A MUST!!
10th March 2007 11:54 AM
ComeAsYouAre Mandy Aftel's book on Brian isn't half bad but I agree... the rest are crap. I thought Kris Needs book on Keith was quite good. Jimmy Phelge's book is also a good one for the early years. I'd love to get my hands on Dominique Tarle's book!!!
10th March 2007 02:04 PM
glencar I bought some book about the 365 Stones days of the year. It really sucks but it was cheap.
10th March 2007 03:18 PM
BILL PERKS I WANT "STU" BUT CAN'T AFFORD
10th March 2007 03:28 PM
fireontheplatter when i take a pause from my playboy and penthouse mags...i am reading stp. stones touring party. it is about the exile on main street tour back in 1972 or 3. it sounds like they were doing a ton of chooch back then. i am amazed they are still alive.

everybody say ow
10th March 2007 06:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I WANT "STU" BUT CAN'T AFFORD

yes it's a shame such a fucking high price, I want it so bad and have it in my eBay fav list but never appears and from the website it costs a lot
10th March 2007 06:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
ComeAsYouAre wrote:
I thought Kris Needs book on Keith was quite good. Jimmy Phelge's book is also a good one for the early years. I'd love to get my hands on Dominique Tarle's book!!!

Agree with all of that, although Needs's book, whilst an enjoyable and affectionate read, is absolutely loaded with glaring factual errors, which detract from it somewhat.

I'd go with Lord Homosex and Perks' lists too, even though as far the latter goes, I do not care for...etc, etc...
[Edited by Gazza]
10th March 2007 07:20 PM
glencar
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I WANT "STU" BUT CAN'T AFFORD

STU?
10th March 2007 08:09 PM
TALK IS CHEAP
quote:
glencar wrote:
STU?

Yes, very limited and expensive biog about Ian Stewart.
Came out roughly about a year ago.
10th March 2007 10:51 PM
Navin A few thoughts regarding “Jagger Bio's” -

The very first Stones book that I ever bought was "Satisfaction : The Story of Mick Jagger" (1984) by John Aldridge - Even with that title, it really is the story of the Stones and takes the story up to 1982.

I got this book sometime around 1989, and must admit that this book is very well written, and further personally regard this as a very good choice on my part for selecting it as my 'first Stones book'. It is not just excellent in its writing style and in the coverage of the evolution of the band, but also very unique in its presentation of the personality of Jagger, plus the myth of the Stones, and many other related facts.

I have seen this book being totally "ripped off" - or the text and writing style being used (with only minor changes) in at least one other book on the Stones.

I have read many other Stones books since, including 'Jagger Unauthorized' (1993) by Christopher Andersen...another "Jagger Bio" which I rather enjoyed for its own unique style - it is largely dismissed as being nothing more than a compilation of tabloid trash by many, including Stones fans.

And therefore finally, regarding all "Jagger Bio's" - I personally cannot recommend discounting their value or ignoring them altogether.
11th March 2007 12:32 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Navin wrote:
A few thoughts regarding “Jagger Bio's” -

The very first Stones book that I ever bought was "Satisfaction : The Story of Mick Jagger" (1984) by John Aldridge - Even with that title, it really is the story of the Stones and takes the story up to 1982.

I got this book sometime around 1989, and must admit that this book is very well written, and further personally regard this as a very good choice on my part for selecting it as my 'first Stones book'. It is not just excellent in its writing style and in the coverage of the evolution of the band, but also very unique in its presentation of the personality of Jagger, plus the myth of the Stones, and many other related facts.

I have seen this book being totally "ripped off" - or the text and writing style being used (with only minor changes) in at least one other book on the Stones.

I have read many other Stones books since, including 'Jagger Unauthorized' (1993) by Christopher Andersen...another "Jagger Bio" which I rather enjoyed for its own unique style - it is largely dismissed as being nothing more than a compilation of tabloid trash by many, including Stones fans.

And therefore finally, regarding all "Jagger Bio's" - I personally cannot recommend discounting their value or ignoring them altogether.

NAVIN!HOW THE HELL ARE YA!
11th March 2007 12:51 PM
Gazza One of the earliest Jagger biographies was the one around 1973 by Anthony Scaduto, who had done an acclaimed one on Dylan a couple of years earlier. I'd imagine its hard to find now, but it was pretty good.
11th March 2007 01:21 PM
FotiniD
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on Greenfield's new book "Exile on Main Street: A Season in Hell with The Rolling Stones"?

I liked it. Carried the summer in Nellcote vibe quite nicely, imo.

Regarding Nellcote, "Exile" is my holy grail, but I don't see myself getting it in the near future
11th March 2007 01:25 PM
Erik_Snow Tour Of The Americas 75 from Genesis is an incredible book!
So thick, and amazing pictures from that wild 75 journey.
But...I can't afford seeing the Stones this summer since I bought that book...
11th March 2007 09:37 PM
Navin
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

NAVIN!HOW THE HELL ARE YA!

Alright, thank you, Mr. PERKS, for asking.

Yeah, I been good, doing just fine, F-I-N-E fine - as always: cool, calm, & collected

...and feel complete, completely ...... up
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)