ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: why I love Let's Spend The Night Together Return to archive
9th March 2007 01:29 PM
Lethargy The Let's Spend The Night Together video - while I hardly ever watch it now - will always hold a special place in my heart. In fact, the movie is the sole reason I fell in love with the Stones in the first place.

I was only 14 or 15 when it came out. We had a VCR in the house (I think my dad paid like $900 for it - yikes). He used to make copies of rented videos and stuff that came off of TV. I don't remember if this was a rental or off TV. But I do remember putting it in one time - a hand made pirated copy of LSTNT - and watching it, and thinking to myself ... Oh...My...God...

I remember feeling WOW...look at Mick, there's no human like him in any walk of life...look at Keith, badass who seems to be running things secretly and who swung a guitar at a rowdy ran...look at Ronnie, the goofball jumping on Mick's back...look at Bill who competently charges on while seemingly not giving a fuck...and look at Charlie who - this sounds lame, but - somehow added a bit of legitimacy to the whole thing as he seemed like a "mature adult" out of the bunch.

I proceeded to watch that film a few hundred times over the next few years. Myself and another member of this board (he can share his identity if he wishes) shared many fine inebriated evenings watching this film, rewinding individual scenes, laughing our asses off, imitating each and every one of the bunch in front of mirrors.

My dad probably wishes he never had it, because look at the path it started me on...

Then Undercover came out and I was surprised and rocked off all over again...

GOD I LOVE THIS BAND!!

9th March 2007 01:43 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
\I proceeded to watch that film a few hundred times over the next few years. Myself and another member of this board (he can share his identity if he wishes) shared many fine inebriated evenings watching this film, rewinding individual scenes, laughing our asses off, imitating each and every one of the bunch in front of mirrors.

My dad probably wishes he never had it, because look at the path it started me on...

^ that'd be me!!

its all true.

I've never been so fascinated and obsessed with any rock video or record before or since

Leth, and I would literally watch LSTNT several times over and over in the same night. Pass out. And then get up the next day, crack a beer and start it again from the beginning!

and this was the single element - the smoking gun - of what sent me spiralling into a life of decadence. That movie ruined it for me. I became an instant Stonesaholic. I wanted to be Keith. I wanted to be the pirate sitting on the edge of the stage swilling Jim Beam... I wanted to be Ron Wood getting chewed out by his boss for showing up late, all the while swilling champagne... I want to be Jagger jumping into the audience with reckless abandon... I wanted to pop balloons with cigarettes and have Jerry Hall and a herd of call girls dancing all around me...

and to this day I can vividly remember every single moment of that movie.

to me, LSTNT is R&R
9th March 2007 03:14 PM
Lethargy Foward 10 years to another great personal memory about Let's Spend The Night...

Age 25, me and a friend of mine were in his apartment outside of New Orleans (I had a consulting job which put me there for 9 months...wow what a time). It was like 1 AM, and we were all lame like "I'm tired - I don't wanna go out." "Me neither - this work week killed me." "I just need sleep." And we were like f--- it, we'll go out tomorrow night.

Then for kicks I slapped on LSTNT. By the time Shattered was over we were doing shots, dancing around the room, slamming beers, imitating Jagger. Next thing you know we caught a cab to the French Quarter and didn't make it back till 8 AM.

The movie is such an adrenaline rush.
9th March 2007 03:21 PM
Dan This is the one that started it all for me too. I already had a few records I bought at yard sales but my mom took me to see this in the theatre when it first came out. I was only 9 years old I think. Wescove Cinema in West Covina.
9th March 2007 03:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
The movie is such an adrenaline rush.

they're playing so fast you get a coke drip down the back of your throat

years from now, after we destroy all our of planets natural resources, we'll be able to power the world soley by playing this video on a loop tape
9th March 2007 05:21 PM
BILL PERKS ME TOO-MY FIRST REAL VISUALS OF THE BAND;OTHER THAN THE TATTOO YOU VIDS..THE COOLEST MOFO'S ON EARTH!
9th March 2007 05:22 PM
Jumacfly We got to send them a big bag of coke for the european tour next summer.
And bring back "let me go " into the setlist.
9th March 2007 05:37 PM
pdog Seeing them in Philly @ JFK in 1981 did it for me.... I never saw the movie until a few years ago, but it brang back all those great feelings, and added more to the memories!
9th March 2007 05:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
Seeing them in Philly @ JFK in 1981 did it for me.... I never saw the movie until a few years ago, but it brang back all those great feelings, and added more to the memories!

I was too young to see them on that tour. Didnt bust my Stones cherry until opening night 89

Looking back at all the great shows I've seen over the years, I dont think any have actually ever fully captured the magic that LSTNT had - or what i thought the perfect rock show should be. For me, LSTNT is still the torch bearer for what the ultimate rock party should be like. Probably always will be.
9th March 2007 05:54 PM
fireontheplatter i haven't seen this concer movie in ages.
is it on dvd?
9th March 2007 06:00 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I was too young to see them on that tour. Didnt bust my Stones cherry until opening night 89

Looking back at all the great shows I've seen over the years, I dont think any have actually ever fully captured the magic that LSTNT had - or what i thought the perfect rock show should be. For me, LSTNT is still the torch bearer for what the ultimate rock party should be like. Probably always will be.

I thought the world was under attack, we were all going to die when the power went out during Shattered, I was flying high on LSD too!
9th March 2007 06:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

I thought the world was under attack, we were all going to die when the power went out during Shattered, I was flying high on LSD too!

I accidentally/foolishly smoked a little dust. I was somehow able to keep it together but at some point during the long dark delay my friend lost it and bailed and missed the rest of the show trembling in our hotel room across the street.

I had a fun time on LSD at the boston show in the rain that tour
9th March 2007 06:16 PM
pdog dust is some fucked up shit...
9th March 2007 06:17 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
dust is some fucked up shit...

especially when walk in a room and someone passes you what you think is grass

thats the fuckin stones road crew for ya
9th March 2007 06:24 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I accidentally/foolishly smoked a little dust. I was somehow able to keep it together but at some point during the long dark delay my friend lost it and bailed and missed the rest of the show trembling in our hotel room across the street.

I had a fun time on LSD at the boston show in the rain that tour

San Jose 4/20/99 - didn't enjoy this show because I spent the whole evening waiting for the LSD I bought outside to kick in. Nothing ever happened.
9th March 2007 06:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i haven't seen this concer movie in ages.
is it on dvd?

No. Although for some bizarre reason, it is (or was) available in South America, which, thanks to a very kind Rocks Offer from down there, is where I got mine from.
9th March 2007 06:52 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No. Although for some bizarre reason, it is (or was) available in South America, which, thanks to a very kind Rocks Offer from down there, is where I got mine from.

thanks gazza
i have seen it a couple two three times on vhs...but as i said, it was ages ago.
one would think it would be on dvd by now....my god. what is taking so long?

i think i remember they play going to a go go in fast fast forward and they are building the stage.

i hope i comes out soon. i will buy it.

ow
9th March 2007 06:56 PM
mojoman i'm watching it right now havent seen it in twenty years its killer
9th March 2007 06:58 PM
Gazza Youre correct about 'Goin to A Go Go'

I dont think they've any plans to release it. They dont seem to be interested in re-releasing old films and videos as DVDs. Rock n Roll Circus's eventual release after 28 years and stuff like Gimme Shelter/One Plus One (which arent THEIR films as such) being exceptions, probably as they had less control over the content.
9th March 2007 07:08 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Youre correct about 'Goin to A Go Go'

I dont think they've any plans to release it. They dont seem to be interested in re-releasing old films and videos as DVDs. Rock n Roll Circus's eventual release after 28 years and stuff like Gimme Shelter/One Plus One (which arent THEIR films as such) being exceptions, probably as they had less control over the content.

i couldn't care less if they are not interested in releasing old concert footage.....i am.
9th March 2007 10:36 PM
glencar I was lucky enough to see the film at teh Stony Brook Loews & I even scored a yearbook for the flick. It only played there for a week. I love this film & this is a wunnerful thread!
10th March 2007 10:57 AM
lotsajizz the movie accurately chronicled the tour I like least....it was a bitter disappointment to many of us long-time fans when it came out....so few good moments interspersed amongst poorly mixed dreck....Ernie Watts was abysmal and Mick's singing was never worse...on the bright side, it was probably Wyman's best tour, and some songs--'Beast of Burden' for one--were up to snuff and shined

oddly enough--I thought even the Hampton PPV was better and had a better mix than the movie

[Edited by lotsajizz]
10th March 2007 12:39 PM
LastChild i got mine from here.... http://www.musiccdvideo.com/

i love this vid more than four flicks. coked up stones at their best! makes me want to be more badass everytime i watch it.
10th March 2007 03:35 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the movie accurately chronicled the tour I like least....it was a bitter disappointment to many of us long-time fans when it came out....so few good moments interspersed amongst poorly mixed dreck....Ernie Watts was abysmal and Mick's singing was never worse...on the bright side, it was probably Wyman's best tour, and some songs--'Beast of Burden' for one--were up to snuff and shined

oddly enough--I thought even the Hampton PPV was better and had a better mix than the movie

[Edited by lotsajizz]

always look on the bright side of life
10th March 2007 04:24 PM
lotsajizz I can hear the whistling of the crucified now!
10th March 2007 05:05 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I can hear the whistling of the crucified now!

peace brother!!!
11th March 2007 11:17 PM
Navin Just a few words...

First saw a part of this - a few seconds of it - when it appeared on television as it was nominated for a grammy(!) award for best 'rock video long form' or something like that back in '84 or so...anyway, the few seconds of preview started with Charlie banging on drums, included Ron Wood "popping balloons with cigarettes" (thanks Mr. Sway for the description), and also included Mick pointing out to the crowd and grimacing, at the same time clutching his ass, and yelling in his lazy slurred holler, "Satisfaction, Satisfaction" ...(roughly, something sounding like "give, give, give....deserve(?)" or something similar sounding)....Interestingly, this film did not win the award, also nominated was Alice Cooper's masterpiece "Welcome to my Nightmare" in the same category (did not win either, don't even remember the other nominees).

I was already a Stones fan by then....and desperate for any and every kind of Stones visuals - and so had to get this film at any cost - it took me a few months, maybe a year to find it...and ever since, I have been hooked...hook, line, & sinker !

When I joined this forum in 2003, the late great Mr. Matt Mulcahy (Riffhard64) offered me my first-ever B&P of the LSTNT DVD (Brazilian Edition) - the quality is amazing.

This DVD is the only other full-length film (25 x 5 being the other) that now resides permanently on my hard disk (taking up to 1/4 total hard disk space)...I even transferred some parts of it to my iPod video

..Its Never Boring.
11th March 2007 11:42 PM
Zack I haven't seen it in years. But aren't the songs cut, and don't they change clothes a few times mid-number? That always irks me.
12th March 2007 02:44 AM
TampabayStone Sorry, will read thread sometime in the AM.

Why I Love Let's spend the Night Together????

Because it just makes good sense! It talks about what I like to eat the most!!! Personally, I like to think it's the girl from my AV that he's eatin', but I guess that the timing would not work.

I do remember the day I lost my mind, I really do!!

TBS
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)