ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why do the Stones use such simple chords? Return to archive
8th March 2007 06:29 PM
morocco Hi, looking at any Stones tab book, you will see that even their most famous songs use very simple chord progressions, the kind of progressions that many less famous musicians would sneer at and mock as too basic.

My question is why do the Stones get so much mileage out of such simple chord progressions?
8th March 2007 06:33 PM
Saint Sway CUZ THEIR THE FUCKIN BALLS!!!!
8th March 2007 06:35 PM
pdog Rock and roll is primal and sexual...
8th March 2007 06:45 PM
fireontheplatter who cares
don't ask
just enjoy

8th March 2007 07:09 PM
Riffhard
quote:
morocco wrote:
Hi, looking at any Stones tab book, you will see that even their most famous songs use very simple chord progressions, the kind of progressions that many less famous musicians would sneer at and mock as too basic.

My question is why do the Stones get so much mileage out of such simple chord progressions?

There's an old saying that goes-"Sometimes less is more." In the case of rock and roll that quote is an absolute. The Stones may use simple chord progressions,but they wrote them! These less famous musicians you talk about may well be able to play every chord known to man,and do stupid fucking pyrotechnic finger runs up and down the fretboard but they can't fucking write a riff that is as emotional as the sheer "Fuck you!" of Can't You Hear Me Knocking!! That riff(among hundreds of Keef/Stones' riffs) absolutly crushes anyfuckingthing that these fucktard fretboard masturbators could concieve of in three lifetimes.

Riffy
8th March 2007 07:20 PM
morocco God damn great post, riffhard!
8th March 2007 07:36 PM
Riffhard
quote:
morocco wrote:
God damn great post, riffhard!

Thank you my friend. That is an argument that I have gotten into with fans of Joe Satriani,Yenvwi Whateverthellhisnameis,and Steve Vai. They always argue about the technical talent that those players posses. I always slam that ridiculous argument by saying that rock and roll has much more to do with emotion and very little to do with technical ability. I mean the most famous rock and roll riff ever was also the most simple. Namely The Bo Diddley beat. That riff is sublime in it's simplicity,yet it manages to convey so much of the rock and roll spirit. The Stones too have learned that lesson well.

Riffy
8th March 2007 11:52 PM
Throwaway Riffy really said all there is to say, but in my own words I would say..name the most famous melodies or songs ever. Not just in RnR, but anywhere. Happy Birthday. The fucking Ice Cream Man jingle. Not groundbreaking stuff. But it stays with you. How do bluesmen get so much mileage out of their genre? It's about feel. 12 bars has unlimited potential, jus like the Stones' music.
9th March 2007 12:03 AM
pdog Let's face it, rock and roll and fucking are so much alike... The best fucking, like rock and roll, is about the passion and instinct, not some technical knowledge!
9th March 2007 01:54 AM
Zambero They use simple chord progressions to avoid sounding like Yes or King Crimson.
9th March 2007 02:22 AM
IanBillen

Because it works:

The reason the Stones music is so good is because of it's straight ahead simplistic arrangement, even making someone who likes complex styles appreciate it for what it is. Yet they do it all with such great sound and enthusiasm you can't knock it.

Ian
9th March 2007 10:23 AM
Stargroves Because we like it, yes we do
9th March 2007 10:31 AM
gimmekeef What they all said.............
9th March 2007 11:36 AM
Bitch Nice post Riffy! It's true, the KISS rule:
Keep
It
Simple
Stuipid!

I love the way the RS get right to the core of rock and roll, straight to it, no fancy fluff.
9th March 2007 11:37 AM
glencar
quote:
Zambero wrote:
They use simple chord progressions to avoid sounding like Yes or King Crimson.

Thank God!
9th March 2007 12:35 PM
tookthatname Many of the simple chords are in the unusual voicings of them, which would not be in your tab book. A different tuning on the guitar, or the same chord played with different fingering may seem like a subtle change, but it makes a huge difference in the sound.

Also if you need more information on why they would use simpler chords and structures, Brian wrote a letter to the editor back around 1962 on the differences between trad jazz and R&B.

It's all about emotion
[Edited by tookthatname]
9th March 2007 04:07 PM
Steel Wheels It's so simple, yet no one else can pull it off.
10th March 2007 04:59 PM
Philip No, the stones music is deceptively simple.

The stones themselves are not virtuoso's, but the people they employ were/are.

People like Nicky Hopkins could and did play many types of music. Nicky had great technical ability on the piano. Does this negate the emtion of the music because he is technically advanced?

Simplistic music does not necessarily mean it is more emotional.

[Edited by Philip]
11th March 2007 10:10 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
morocco wrote:
Hi, looking at any Stones tab book, you will see that even their most famous songs use very simple chord progressions, the kind of progressions that many less famous musicians would sneer at and mock as too basic.

Ya dig?

12th March 2007 02:17 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
morocco wrote:

It's not FUCKIN' Rocket Science!
12th March 2007 02:42 AM
yellerstang Now you know why progressive music (think Yes, Genesis, etc...) sounds so lifeless!!

Bands who like to write complex music often give the "feeling/emotional" part of the song the shaft.

There are a few rare exceptions....ie Jeff Beck.
12th March 2007 02:49 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
Now you know why progressive music (think Yes, Genesis, etc...) sounds so lifeless!!

Bands who like to write complex music often give the "feeling/emotional" part of the song the shaft.

There are a few rare exceptions....ie Jeff Beck.

Nicely stated!

Uh...Stangy...
12th March 2007 10:42 AM
gotdablouse Well put riffy, I don't like some of "in your face" posts but this one hits home ;-)

As tookthatname put it, what made these chord progressions unique is the open tuning they started using in 1968 (thanks to Ry Cooder if memory serves). When I started playing the guitar with a chord book, I couldn't figure out how "Start Me Up" was being played, C, F, G...hum doesn't sound like it ! Enter G open tuning, and yes you're Keith...or almost.

On the other hand, when you listen to some of their live stuff, try Hide Park 1969 or even the latest tour (1989 -> 2002 was of a higher standard I'd say), you can't stop to think some better playing wouldn't hurt. I won't even mention Ron, but clearly Keith is past his prime and can't really carry the band anymore. Case in point "She Was Hot", great to hear it, but man is it sloppy and worse than that, missing a groove, the kind of groove Keith used to play in his sleep. It doesn't help that Bill is gone of course, replaced by a proficient but soulless pro.
12th March 2007 10:56 AM
Philip Yeah the feel of the band has definitely changed for the worse since Bill left!

Brain used open tunings from the start.

Ry kick started Keith's open G experiments, but he had already been using open E/D for more than a year before Ry came on the scene.

[Edited by Philip]
13th March 2007 06:48 AM
gotdablouse Thanks for straightening this out, yes JJF was probably written before Ry got involved and that was Open E, or maybe straight tuning ? Did Brian use open G ?

That open G is really where we got all these riffs from, including a few by Mick, like Highwire or IGWild.
13th March 2007 07:02 AM
FotiniD My favorite Greek band, Pix Lax, were always accused of using mostly only three chords in their songs and one of the singers' answer was: "The best goals in soccer take only three passes of the ball".

True enough.
13th March 2007 08:44 AM
Philip
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Thanks for straightening this out, yes JJF was probably written before Ry got involved and that was Open E, or maybe straight tuning ? Did Brian use open G ?

That open G is really where we got all these riffs from, including a few by Mick, like Highwire or IGWild.

Much of the 1968 and early 1969 stuff uses open D/E.

Yeah Brian used open G for slide on Little Red Rooster and I Can't Be Satisfied.

Over at 'iorr tell me' forum Mathijs made a good point though, it was Keith who really realised open G's potential for rhythm guitar, before him it was mainly used for slide.
13th March 2007 08:57 AM
gotdablouse Yes that Open G produced "magic" !

Compare 3 Open G chords to 3 straight cords and you've got the difference between Rock (Stones) and Punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols), etc...and er well some of Mick's stuff on Some Girls too, like "Lies", I guess...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)