ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie Watts 80s Appreciatin Thread Return to archive
8th March 2007 05:39 PM
Saint Sway listening on headphones to Watts 900bpm on "Summer Romance"....

cant believe thats recorded in real time. Watts was on fire. Fuckin speed demons!!!
8th March 2007 06:03 PM
Scottfree I don't understand, but I agree...I appreciate Watt's in any and all era's...
8th March 2007 06:06 PM
pdog What happened to his bald spot...
8th March 2007 06:07 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
What happened to his bald spot...

still there
8th March 2007 06:12 PM
Saint Sway THE MAN!
8th March 2007 06:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
THE MAN!

The B-side!
8th March 2007 06:44 PM
Prodigal Son Dirty Work may suck, but Charlie is on fire on that one. As is Mick and the gee-tars. But for a good half of the album, the Stones are in stinky mode anyway. Upon first impressions, I wanted to give a C-minus to DW but have eased up on it and think it deserves a C+ cause of some real ballsy rockers.
8th March 2007 06:47 PM
fireontheplatter i think it is a tad early to be listening to this song. it is still officially wintertime. there is snow on the ground for god's sake.

everybody say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
8th March 2007 06:58 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

The B-side!

i tell you what....this one is going down mighty fine after a hard days work....with a cold one in hand
thank you for that.

everybody say ow
8th March 2007 09:20 PM
FlashedMickAgain OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! hahaha hey guys!
8th March 2007 09:22 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Dirty Work may suck, but Charlie is on fire on that one. As is Mick and the gee-tars. But for a good half of the album, the Stones are in stinky mode anyway. Upon first impressions, I wanted to give a C-minus to DW but have eased up on it and think it deserves a C+ cause of some real ballsy rockers.

Dirty Work = last honest Stones album
8th March 2007 09:37 PM
lotsajizz 80's--'Where The Boys All Go', 'It Must Be Hell', and 'Dirty Work'

proof that Watts is a God

8th March 2007 10:49 PM
Egbert
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Dirty Work may suck, but Charlie is on fire on that one. As is Mick and the gee-tars. But for a good half of the album, the Stones are in stinky mode anyway. Upon first impressions, I wanted to give a C-minus to DW but have eased up on it and think it deserves a C+ cause of some real ballsy rockers.

The 5 or 6 best songs off of DW are better than the top 5-6 from Undercover but Undercover as a whole is a better listen.

Keith's ballads are the cream of the 80s crop for the Stones: All About You, Sleep Tonight, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away.

9th March 2007 05:17 AM
corgi37 Watts is not drumming on Dirty Work. The song, that is.
9th March 2007 05:23 AM
lotsajizz that can't be Anton Fig then, can it?!?
9th March 2007 08:28 AM
Lord Homosex Pretty sure that is Char;lie on DW the song.
12th March 2007 07:46 AM
Bitch
12th March 2007 08:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

funny, but DW is one album where for me the drumming isnt as good as normal. 'Fight' being the main culprit where it drags down what is otherwise a potentially decent track.

And Mick's vocals were never more horrible than on that album. That 'barking' Sgt-Major style he developed for much of that decade was his nadir as a singer. The unlistenable 'Hold Back' being a prime example.

the guitar sound is good on it as is the sneering attitude, but its a bit pointless if the songs arent there - which for the most part, they arent.

13th March 2007 08:13 AM
Bruno Everything you hate in DW I love! The drums sound is a bit strange, of course, but I like it anyway. And "Fight" for me is more than a decent song: it´s a overlooked kick ass rocker.

The only REAL weak moment is "Too Rude" and that awful echo drumming.
13th March 2007 08:52 AM
lotsajizz I agree with the opinion that the vocal technique bombed completely on 'Hold Back', but it worked very well on 'Fight' and, especially, 'Had It With You'--where Jagger just spits the lyrics out with venom. I miss that.

13th March 2007 09:01 AM
Gazza Yeah, he gets away with it on those two as it suits the snarling lyrical content (and on 'had it with you' he doesnt quite wring the neck out of the vocal anyway).

I think 'Fight' really could have been a terrific song in the hands of a different producer, with a better mix or drum sound
13th March 2007 09:03 AM
Erik_Snow
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I agree with the opinion that the vocal technique bombed completely on 'Hold Back', but it worked very well on 'Fight' and, especially, 'Had It With You'--where Jagger just spits the lyrics out with venom. I miss that.

Agree, Jagger is terrific on Fight and Had It With You.
Same goes for Dirty Work, and one of the best songs of that album...One Hit.
Sleep Tonight is for me, one of the most beautiful songs with Keith on vocals...it's up there with Coming Down Again and Hate It When You Leave.
If we just could have Dirty Work in a different mix...well, we got the outtakes at least.
13th March 2007 09:57 AM
Gazza The mix on the outtakes is far superior IMO. With the possible exception of Emotional Rescue, its the one Stones album where the outtakes are generally better than the released product.

Wouldnt quite have worked, though as you would have had an album with Keith on lead vocals on at least half of the songs. Not quite what CBS would have been hoping for on the first Stones album of their record breaking $30 million plus deal.
13th March 2007 10:29 AM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The mix on the outtakes is far superior IMO. With the possible exception of Emotional Rescue, its the one Stones album where the outtakes are generally better than the released product.

Yes that's true.
I'd like to include the new Monitor Mixes 1989 into that outtakes-surpasses-the-official-album category.
At least if one edited some of the longer songs of those SW-outtakes. Much better sound, more cool licks and better vocals.
If one listen to the alternate Heart For Sale, a prime-example..., and then put on the official version...the difference is amazing.
There's only 2-3 songs which were better on the released product.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)