ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Globe Photo with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Start Me Up Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
9th March 2007 10:41 AM
jb Obviously, after hearing it ad nauseum since 1981, it hasbecome a bit stale in concert. However, SMU , albeit recorded earlier, awakened many new college aged kids to the Stones back in 81...It was even used for many years, and even sometimes today, at the opening of a football game or other sporting event.
It was the kind of hit that transcended ages, and made them extremely hot again. To me, the real sad part of the last 25 years, is that they have not even come close to matching SMU in terms of having a mega hit like that song ....Todays music fan is only interested in the next hit, and rarely goes beyond the newest single being played in the radio...it has hurt the Stones in terms of popularity and sales because the casual fan has no idea of their incredible catalogue other than the mega hits like SMU. I believe that is why bands like U2 and others are more popular...they , like it or not, always have a single that gets enormous air play.
9th March 2007 11:41 AM
glencar Now that's fire!
9th March 2007 12:33 PM
Some Guy When you hear SMU, you know it's about to go down.
9th March 2007 12:36 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
When you hear SMU, you know it's about to go down.

Who was #40 on the old Hawks Team?
9th March 2007 12:38 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
When you hear SMU, you know it's about to go down.

closing the beer line?
9th March 2007 01:37 PM
Lethargy Are there any copies of the original supposedly REGGAE version? Now THAT I'd love to hear.
9th March 2007 03:11 PM
tumbling dice
When i hear it from the first time in the beggining of the eighties i became a fan and began to hear all their music.It got a huge impact in my life...
9th March 2007 04:14 PM
texile
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Are there any copies of the original supposedly REGGAE version? Now THAT I'd love to hear.

it's on one of the many paris outtakes...
it's just meandering though...and goes on forever.

it was the last megahit,
but miss you was thier last number 1
i'd say miss you trumps it...
9th March 2007 04:18 PM
monkey_man When I hear it I can only think of Windows 95. . .
9th March 2007 06:26 PM
CraigP
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

Could the guitar techs/hands be blamed on that one OR Ronnie's hands?

In the case of PNC park, I don't think so.
HOWEVER (I will never stop complaining about this) the "techs" of the ABC American Tv broadcast of the Super Bowl half time show really botched SMU. SO BADLY, that it sounded like an honest Stones F*up. From the beginning of it (no drum volume), (low mick volume), thru Ronnies solo on SMU (which was actually a good solo). The "tech" morons made, not only the band, but Ronnie look like a total idiot when he was jumping around playing a solo that was inaudible thru the TV.
People who don't know S* about mixing would have bought "the stones sucked" b/s.

If I were in charge I would have fired those clows that were behind the board, without hesitation. Sometimes, I actually think that the "tech" clownz meant to do that and were drunk and laughing the whole time.

Here is an example of the ABC mixing job:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrQ8fMk-qlc

Here is an example of a better job (not by much, tho) by a foreign network:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lE1LCfjXgGk

The differences is strikingly clear!!!

[Edited by CraigP]
[Edited by CraigP]
9th March 2007 09:28 PM
Highwire Rob Here's an old post I made about SMU on a now extinct Stones board--could that be our very own Joey as "The Joey" that answered me?!

Posted 12:36:11 Pacific Standard Time on 12/20/00
DEFINITIVE Rock Opener: “Continental Drift” leading in to Cannon Blast leading in to “Start Me Up” -- Man that Flashpoint live recording is Rock ‘n’ Roll!! Microsoft & world stadiums can play it all they want -- that song, whether the original Tattoo You or the live version will always purge my stress after any given day at work! Remember that Voyager space craft that was sent up with Earth’s sound bites? [If it had gone up a few years later] All we really needed to blast out to the great unknown was this track -- we’d hear back from them aliens -- with kegs too!! --Rob.

Posted 18:10:45 Pacific Standard Time on 12/20/00
Amen, My Brother..... The Joey.

--------------------------------

Click below to see what sound recordings Voyager does have on it--Bach and Johnny B. Goode! BTW, Voyager I & II are still operational but in need of a serious re-charge--so little green men and women, plug your pods in now!

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html

SMU should play right after the English audio greeting...
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/languages/audio/english.au ...BOOM--START ME UP!!!!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
10th March 2007 01:31 AM
Zack
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Are there any copies of the original supposedly REGGAE version? Now THAT I'd love to hear.

Dude, send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send an mp3 to you.
10th March 2007 02:09 AM
pdog
quote:
CraigP wrote:

In the case of PNC park, I don't think so.
HOWEVER (I will never stop complaining about this) the "techs" of the ABC American Tv broadcast of the Super Bowl half time show really botched SMU. SO BADLY, that it sounded like an honest Stones F*up. From the beginning of it (no drum volume), (low mick volume), thru Ronnies solo on SMU (which was actually a good solo). The "tech" morons made, not only the band, but Ronnie look like a total idiot when he was jumping around playing a solo that was inaudible thru the TV.
People who don't know S* about mixing would have bought "the stones sucked" b/s.

If I were in charge I would have fired those clows that were behind the board, without hesitation. Sometimes, I actually think that the "tech" clownz meant to do that and were drunk and laughing the whole time.

Here is an example of the ABC mixing job:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrQ8fMk-qlc

Here is an example of a better job (not by much, tho) by a foreign network:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lE1LCfjXgGk

The differences is strikingly clear!!!

[Edited by CraigP]
[Edited by CraigP]

Night and day... so that's what Ronnie sounds like...
10th March 2007 05:11 AM
IanBillen [quote]StonesChick wrote:

I never really liked it and thought it was the worst song off the album. I wish they would stop playing it live. I don't know anyone who likes this song.

...and we are assuming you're joking here

Ian
10th March 2007 09:11 AM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:

Who was #40 on the old Hawks Team?

Spud Webb, no?
10th March 2007 09:41 AM
StonesChick
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]StonesChick wrote:

I never really liked it and thought it was the worst song off the album. I wish they would stop playing it live. I don't know anyone who likes this song.

...and we are assuming you're joking here

Ian

No, I'm not. There's a lot of people on the message boards who seem to love it, but in real life, people I know could take it or leave it.
10th March 2007 11:59 AM
ComeAsYouAre One of the most overrated, piece of crap song the Stones have ever done. I can't stand it...
10th March 2007 12:07 PM
lotsajizz always a welcome song
11th March 2007 01:10 AM
IanBillen [quote]Highwire Rob wrote:

Yeah Zack, I noticed that at PNC Park opener for the Bigger Bang tour. There was indeed some screeching on SMU but he soon got on track and the concert continued superbly. Could the guitar techs/hands be blamed on that one OR Ronnie's hands?

I am sure you know that when it is a band of any stature, a guitar tech is certainly almost never to blame for how the guitar player does that night.

Ronnie has been playing guitar for the better part of his life professionaly, on the highest scale imaginable. Well before he goes on these days he picks up the guitar and plays with it and he would instantly know if it were not tuned correctly or their was a problem. Drunk, sober, stoned as hell....those guys know their instruments.

I am sure you are joking though

Ian
11th March 2007 01:25 AM
TALK IS CHEAP I think the "still life" version is the definitive one.
11th March 2007 03:21 AM
Collinstephens I would say...the best song ever! Greatest one you can dance to and it is more amazing live!!!!!!!!!!
11th March 2007 09:30 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
I would say...the best song ever! Greatest one you can dance to and it is more amazing live!!!!!!!!!!

nice post, amigo.
12th March 2007 02:34 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
A. Great song
or
2. Best song ever.

Christ, I am trying to get off this fucker!!!

OK my finnal answer is...A...

I am going to bed RIGHT now, but did I mention I went to the ACC tourney yesterday!!! My bud got tix just under face (?$60?) and we upgraded in the parking lot (2nd teir, 3rd row, South (may be lying on dat one) net--Dead Center.. Awesome day, will post pics if anyone cares and if I can figure how to get them from phone to PC>

JB, THAT thing was WIDE open!!! Don't make no sense. Tampa (although, it's not the BURG) is a true Beauty!! I took prob a 100 pics on me phone. Hope 5 come out OK-Dokay.
12th March 2007 10:05 AM
Some Guy Sup T?
12th March 2007 11:21 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
I would say...the best song ever! Greatest one you can dance to and it is more amazing live!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that honor belongs to "Dance Little Sister"
12th March 2007 01:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
A. Great song
or
2. Best song ever.

Neither, and definitely not the 2nd option.

Its a great riff with superb production, and nothing more -but yet its an ideal and inspired choice as a single.

After the disappointment of Emotional rescue when I recoiled in horror at the first hearing of the lead single as I thought my favourite band had turned into the Bee Gees, the first three notes of THIS song when I heard it on the radio the first time signified the blunt message which said "We're back".

Its popularity on US radio has led to it being something of an overachiever, popularity wise. Personally, I think its aged less well than almost any of the songs on Tattoo You and of all the warhorses, its up there with Miss You (the studio version of which I still love) at the top of my "please retire it" list.

That said, I play the intro at my local football team's home games over the PA system when the first goal goes in, so there are times when I'm quite glad to hear it.
12th March 2007 01:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I believe that honor belongs to "Dance Little Sister"

Good call. Pity they never play THAT one live.
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Neither, and definitely not the 2nd option.

Its a great riff with superb production, and nothing more -but yet its an ideal and inspired choice as a single.

After the disappointment of Emotional rescue when I recoiled in horror at the first hearing of the lead single as I thought my favourite band had turned into the Bee Gees, the first three notes of THIS song when I heard it on the radio the first time signified the blunt message which said "We're back".

Its popularity on US radio has led to it being something of an overachiever, popularity wise. Personally, I think its aged less well than almost any of the songs on Tattoo You and of all the warhorses, its up there with Miss You (the studio version of which I still love) at the top of my "please retire it" list.

That said, I play the intro at my local football team's home games over the PA system when the first goal goes in, so there are times when I'm quite glad to hear it.

what was it Jair said?
jb The embarrassing thing about futbol is that guys like Rod Stewart can go out there and compete against the best of them.....this would never happen in American FOOTBALL!!!! For example, I could conceivably be placed on a "professional" futbol team, and since I am a fairly talented athlete, they could make me a defender and I would be able to hold my own against most ...However, if you took a regular guy and put him in the NFL, the opposition would immediately be able to design plays to attack this weakness. I am not , by any means, putting down "futbol", just explaining the different talent level required of the 2 sports.

[Edited by jb]
12th March 2007 01:36 PM
mojoman i have mixed emotions about this question
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)