ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Buddy Guy in Toronto (NSC) Return to archive
March 11th, 2005 12:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Buddy Guy took long road to success

By DAVID YONKE
BLADE STAFF WRITER
Toronto Blade

It's been a long and sometimes difficult road for Buddy Guy, but the bluesman from little Lettsworth, La., can finally say he's arrived.
On Monday, Guy will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by one of his biggest fans, Eric Clapton.

Guy, who will perform an acoustic concert tonight at the Stranahan Theater, has won five Grammy Awards, 26 W.C. Handy Awards for blues excellence, a Billboard Century Award, and a Medal of Arts, presented by President Bush in 2003.

Since 1990, he has been the owner of one of the world's most revered blues clubs, Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago.

Born July 30, 1936, George "Buddy" Guy was the son of sharecroppers on a Louisiana plantation.

"I was so far out in the country, man. We didn't have running water, no electric lights, no radio, and I didn't know nothing about no electric guitar," he said. "When it rained, we'd go out in the fields and scoop up the water from the mule tracks. That was our drinking water."

He made his first guitar by stringing window-screen wire to an empty lighter-fluid can, and taught himself to play, never taking a guitar lesson.

As a teenager, he moved to the nearest big city, Baton Rouge, La., to try to land work as a musician, and in 1957, at age 21, headed for the bustling urban-blues mecca of Chicago.

"There were so many clubs, you couldn't get to all of 'em in one night," he recalled.

He made the transition from sitting in the audience admiring his heroes to performing alongside Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Junior Wells, and virtually all the modern blues legends.

Guy also has been credited as a major influence on a generation of blues-rock guitarists, including Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Keith Richards, and countless more.

Yet Guy went nearly 16 years without a recording contract, working as a tow-truck driver until his breakthrough comeback album, "Damn Right I Got the Blues," was released in 1991 (a remastered version will be re-issued on Tuesday by Silvertone/Jive Records).

Although the budget for Guy's 1991 recording was low, he got help from some of his admirers, including Clapton and Mark Knopfler, who played for free.

"It's been a long struggle," Guy recently said. "I was ignored, but I didn't quit. I kept playing even when I wasn't making a nickel, because I love what I'm doing."

Known almost as much for his showmanship as for his musical skill, Guy said he's not averse to using theatrics if it will win over a crowd.

In concert, plucking his trademark polka-dot guitar, he'll walk to the edge of the stage and sing without a microphone, or fall to his knees, or drop the volume down to a whisper before roaring back to full volume.

"If a gimmick is necessary, I use it," he said.

His love of the blues, a flair for showmanship, and dedication over the decades have paid off for the legendary musician.

"I appreciate what I have today," Guy said.

Buddy Guy will be in concert at 8 tonight at the Stranahan Theater, 4645 Heatherdowns Blvd. Tickets are $27.50 and $34.50 from the box office, 419-381-8851, and all Ticketmaster outlets.

Contact David Yonke at: [email protected]
or 419-724-6154.

March 11th, 2005 01:24 PM
justinkurian Thanks for the article TTM...I'm seeing Buddy at BB King's on the 23rd. Can't wait.

Anyone ever see him live before?
March 11th, 2005 01:27 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Thanks for the article TTM...I'm seeing Buddy at BB King's on the 23rd. Can't wait.

Anyone ever see him live before?

I had two chances...... lost it twice.....

I ain't never forgive myself.

I just hope Buddy can visit us one more time.
March 11th, 2005 04:41 PM
Night Clerk I've seen Buddy many times and he's as good as it gets. Like the article says, Buddy is an amazing musician, but he also is a great showman too. He likes to walk around among the audience while playing guitar, he'll play with his teeth, and behind his back. I don't know what type of venue you'll be seeing him in, but if its a bar-type of place, send up a brandy to Buddy and try to get him drinking. That's actually when he's at his best.
March 11th, 2005 05:01 PM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I had two chances...... lost it twice.....

I ain't never forgive myself.

I just hope Buddy can visit us one more time.

I have seen Buddy open for the stones in 98 and again at his club....Great show to see!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood